zs-a4s - book sized build

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Hi everybody, this is my first post here, after lurking for quite a bit of time.

After a few hours cramming together all the stuff, I got my old system inside my new 5.5 liter zs-a4s from Taobao.

The case is very high quality, and made fully from aluminum, the removable panels are 3 mm thick, and everything is held by countersunk socket head bolts. It has two space for two 80x10 mm fans, supports double slots GPUs up to about 260 mm and flex-atx PSUs. On the storage side, only one SSD is supported by default, but more could be fit if using a short video card, in the unused space.

The case has some quirks tho. It uses an internal PSU connector to wire the flex-atx unit to the back of the case. These wires were almost too short for the plug to reach my PSU. Similar story with the PCIe riser cable sold by the Taobao store for this case.

More pics.

For the record, I'm using a Z97N-Gaming 5 mobo with a delidded i5-4670k, two sticks of heeatspreaderless corsair vengeance DDR3, a Noctua NH-L9i, one Crucial M500, a Gigabyte RX570 and a FSP 400 W gold flex-atx PSU.

If anyone has some questions, I'll be happy to answer!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I was going to raise an objection about this case using a C6 connector, since they are only rated at 2.5a (~300W on North American voltage), but then I read the wiki again and apparently NA ratings agencies will rate them for much higher currents:

North American rating agencies (CSA, NOM-ANCE, and UL) will certify IEC 60320 connectors for higher currents than are specified in the IEC standard itself. In particular, UL will certify:
  • C5/C6 connectors for up to 13 A,[8] although 10 A is more commonly seen (IEC maximum is 2.5 A)

So I learned something new today. That's potentially useful, since the C6 is a bit smaller than the commonly used C14, which could help with some very tight designs.

Looks like a well-made case though. How's the noise under load with that flex PSU?

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Hmm, i didn't think of checking the IEC current rating for the C5/C6, it is smaller than I would have guessed. Even then, the i5 is running at 3.6 GHz with a Vcore of about a Volt, and the RX570 runs at stock clocks at 980mV, with a total system power consumption of about 200 W.

The PSU fan is the worst part of the system noise wise by far. I'm sitting at about a foot from the PC; it is quiet enough when browsing or doing light work, but when the system demands power, the fan can be heard quite clearly above the other system fans. It doen't reach an annoying level, but sooner or later I'll try swapping it for another unit.

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I'm in awe about the compactness of the flex PSU (it's not even close to being the highest rated unit in this form factor), so I'm giving the noise a pass :) It's incredible what modern electronics allow us to do power wise, maybe in a few more years there'll be fanless flex units!

Also, the case positions the PSU at the front, closer to the user, there are other ones where the exhaust/intake is at the back of the case, with potentially better noise performance.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I had my eye on this case, good to know about the noise of the psu. Did you buy the psu with the case, or did you supply your own? Maybe replacing the fan with a noctua one might tame the noise levels?

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I got the PSU off Amazon for about $100. Just search for FSP flex atx, This model (400W) or a 500W gold or platinum rated one should be easy to get. Newegg carries them too.

Before replacing the fan I'd like to check the factory unit specs, to see if the Noctua fan would perform well in this scenario. Also, I need to open the PSU to figure put how the fan is wired and controlled.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Ahh i see, I had my eyes on the silverstone flex 350. I really want to buy this case and stick a handle on it lol.

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
The Silverstone unit shoud do the trick. What componentsdo you have in mind?

If you need to know any dimensions for the handle I can take some measurements.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I already have a 1080 fe, and from the pictures I see that is the biggest gpu it can afford to fit inside lol, other than a 1080ti fe.

Did they give you the option to customize the vent pattern?

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I already have a 1080 fe, and from the pictures I see that is the biggest gpu it can afford to fit inside lol, other than a 1080ti fe.

Did they give you the option to customize the vent pattern?

I haven't checked the RTX models, but yeah, the 1080ti should fit in this case. Zotac has a short 1080ti, so even more SSDs could be fit in the unused GPU chamber space.

The 1080 should use around half of the PSU power budget tho, so maybe a beefier unit would be a good idea.

I don't have much to say about the custom vent geometry, I just bought the default case, without even communicating with the seller.

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Please us know about the 80mm fan size on the top and if any noctua fan fits.

There are so few models of 80x10 mm fans. Noctua definitely doesn't make anything with those dimensions.

The fans were cheap, at $8 USD each. I bought them on Arrow.com, an electronic components distributor. I'll be testing them soon.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I was going to raise an objection about this case using a C6 connector, since they are only rated at 2.5a (~300W on North American voltage), but then I read the wiki again and apparently NA ratings agencies will rate them for much higher currents.

Yeah, I also learned this only recently with the Maru & Masa Kickstarter...

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I'm always a huge proponent of C5/C6 cloverleaf/mickey mouse connector. Even at 2.5A on 220V systems it's already 500W so it is popular in east asian countries. The depth and foot print is much smaller than C14, but its plug and socket's fit is not as flimsy as C8.

jmsantos1983

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 12, 2017
I notice that the seller don't really provide options for the holes on the case. Hope u keep us update with the fan situation. Very unique.
Also, i do need a 500w power supply, any ideas where to get one?
The cpu fan, could it give better temps blowing inwards or outwards?
Thank you.