ZS-A4 V3: C6 to C13 cable

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Hi!
I have a ZS-A4 V3, case is very good but the C6-C13 power cable looks so ugly with those three single wires glued on the C6 connector.
So I'm thinking about change it, and I came to two ideas:
  1. Mod the back of the case to fit the standard C14 socket as all the other cases around
    • no idea about how to do it, don't even know if it's possible. I would like to have your help :)
  2. Mod the cable
    • I was thinking to buy a standard C13-C14 power cable, cut off the C14 connector and solder the wires on the C6. Is this possible/compatible? Also every C6 that I've found on internet is rated for 2.5A while the original one is 5A. Is it possible to remove the glue from the original one so I can use it for my idea?
Thanks in advance for you help
Have a nice day :)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hi!
I have a ZS-A4 V3, case is very good but the C6-C13 power cable looks so ugly with those three single wires glued on the C6 connector.
So I'm thinking about change it, and I came to two ideas:
  1. Mod the back of the case to fit the standard C14 socket as all the other cases around
    • no idea about how to do it, don't even know if it's possible. I would like to have your help :)
  2. Mod the cable
    • I was thinking to buy a standard C13-C14 power cable, cut off the C14 connector and solder the wires on the C6. Is this possible/compatible? Also every C6 that I've found on internet is rated for 2.5A while the original one is 5A. Is it possible to remove the glue from the original one so I can use it for my idea?
Thanks in advance for you help
Have a nice day :)

Some time ago I already told the guys from ZS they shall get that connector properly insulated.

Here is what I suggested:

If you can find a small piece of shrink tube somewhere you can do it like this.

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Some time ago I already told the guys from ZS they shall get that connector properly insulated.

Here is what I suggested:

If you can find a small piece of shrink tube somewhere you can do it like this.
Hi. Thanks for your response.

I saw your comment about their cable but they kept it the same way and you know what: a user reported a short circuit that melt his mouse pad (you can find it on their thread and also on r/sffpc) but they are still using this cable lol.

Meanwhile I came up to another idea:
can I use a standard c13-c14, cut the end c14, pass the cable in the hole of the c6 on the case (which wouldn't pass otherwise) and than solder back the c14 connector? Making like a pigtail c13-c14?

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hi. Thanks for your response.

I saw your comment about their cable but they kept it the same way and you know what: a user reported a short circuit that melt his mouse pad (you can find it on their thread and also on r/sffpc) but they are still using this cable lol.

Meanwhile I came up to another idea:
can I use a standard c13-c14, cut the end c14, pass the cable in the hole of the c6 on the case (which wouldn't pass otherwise) and than solder back the c14 connector? Making like a pigtail c13-c14?

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

Yes, I saw that post and I don't understand why ZS is still only using that "glue". Obviously this is not a safe solution.

Why make it so complicated? If you already going for soldering you can just add the shrink tube to the C6. I mean your custom pigtail cable also needs to be insulated somehow. Or are you just more comfortable with a C13/C14 pigtail?

Reactions: guniens

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Yes, I saw that post and I don't understand why ZS is still only using that "glue". Obviously this is not a safe solution.

Why make it so complicated? If you already going for soldering you can just add the shrink tube to the C6. I mean your custom pigtail cable also needs to be insulated somehow. Or are you just more comfortable with a C13/C14 pigtail?
Yeah it's been two days that me and another user are debating with them but they don't listen.

I'm just more confortable with the c13/c14 pigtail. Can you give me the details of what i need and what i need to do to make it?

Thanks!

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
I'm not really sure how I can help you.

If it was my case I would probably go for the shrink tube or wrap that C6 in electrical (insulating) tape.
I mean

You told me to insulate my custom pigtail c13-c14.
Basically i would have to cut the end c14, pass the cable in the hole of the case where currently is the c6 and then solder back the end c14. After that I only need to insulate the re-soldered end with shrink tube or electrical insulating tape.

Is that what you ment yesterday?

About insulating the c6:
i would have to find a shrink tube of the size of connector (c6) so i don't have to remove the wires/glue from the c6 or i need to do this also?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I wouldn't make it too complicated.

Important is that the C6 cable which came with the case is properly insulated and the contacts can't be accidentally touched.

I saw some people using electrical tape to do so.

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
I wouldn't make it too complicated.

Important is that the C6 cable which came with the case is properly insulated and the contacts can't be accidentally touched.

I saw some people using electrical tape to do so.

Ok so this if i choose to stick with the c6.

What about making a pigtail.? Is what i write above right?

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I'll tell you what I do with every case that uses a passthrough C13 to C14 power cable. I do this only for cosmetic reasons, but still.

I estimate the length I need from the original cable toward the C14 inlet end, cut it, strip back the insulation of the power cable, strip the three internal wires, crimp quick-disconnect terminals to those wires, and then attach a new C14 panel mount inlet. That's it. It's the easiest thing in existence.

Oh, I'll also heatshrink over the QD terminals before attaching them to the C14 connector just because.

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
I'll tell you what I do with every case that uses a passthrough C13 to C14 power cable. I do this only for cosmetic reasons, but still.

I estimate the length I need from the original cable toward the C14 inlet end, cut it, strip back the insulation of the power cable, strip the three internal wires, crimp quick-disconnect terminals to those wires, and then attach a new C14 panel mount inlet. That's it. It's the easiest thing in existence.

Oh, I'll also heatshrink over the QD terminals before attaching them to the C14 connector just because.
Thanks man for the tip. I know a little about this and it's more or less the same I tought.
One question, do you cover the end of the c14 outlet after soldering with shrink tube or something else?

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Thanks man for the tip. I know a little about this and it's more or less the same I tought.
One question, do you cover the end of the c14 outlet after soldering with shrink tube or something else?
I don't solder anything. Here's a picture of one I did in an old Sentry build.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
What are the dimensions (width x length) of the cutout on the back panel?
The opening pointed by the red arrow.

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
What are the dimensions (width x length) of the cutout on the back panel?
The opening pointed by the red arrow.
I don't have the dimensions but they should be the same of the c6's dimensions without counting the plate around it with the screw holes.

I think it doesn't support a c14 without modding the cable or the case. Do you have any idea?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I don't have the dimensions but they should be the same of the c6's dimensions without counting the plate around it with the screw holes.

I think it doesn't support a c14 without modding the cable or the case. Do you have any idea?
Could you use a ruler to do a quick measurement?
I suppose, you have the case right in front of you.

guniens

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
Could you use a ruler to do a quick measurement?
I suppose, you have the case right in front of you.
Not at the moment. I'm at work now
Checking on internet it's the same size of the connector without the mounting plate

yensteel

Caliper Novice
Aug 10, 2017
Should be the same as this socket. It seems to be 20.6 x 15.5 for the panel cut out. The c13 socket is 23mm x 15.8mm.

Last edited: