Zotac RTX2070 Mini Zero Fan Bios Mod explained

GioRgSaVv

Cable Smoosher
Oct 6, 2017
A stupid question
After I do this MSI afterburner must be running at all times?

I have a Zotac RTX 2070 Mini and I just want a custom fan control. Thanks.

Arrandale

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
A stupid question
After I do this MSI afterburner must be running at all times?

I have a Zotac RTX 2070 Mini and I just want a custom fan control. Thanks.

Yes. Just have it start with Windows on the minimised Setting.

GioRgSaVv

Cable Smoosher
Oct 6, 2017
Hello, so I get this error message, should I proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Centurio

Efficiency Noob
Sep 10, 2019
@ Arrendale
Thank you for this tut - last time i flashed nvidia cards is 12 jears before... but nothing hast changed (beside it works from windows now...).

At your first post you wrote:
"- EVGA RTX 2070 Black: despite the fact that it has no factory OC, the card uses an A Series chip and is therefore incompatible."

I've also a Zotac RTX2070 Mini - and could flash this EVGA Black Bios and it's working without any problems so far:

You posted Inno3D bios works well, also - call me crazy, but the Inno has a very ugly boot message and it's an older one (older build date)... thas why i've flashed the EVGA one...

Arrandale

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
@ Arrendale
Thank you for this tut - last time i flashed nvidia cards is 12 jears before... but nothing hast changed (beside it works from windows now...).

At your first post you wrote:
"- EVGA RTX 2070 Black: despite the fact that it has no factory OC, the card uses an A Series chip and is therefore incompatible."

I've also a Zotac RTX2070 Mini - and could flash this EVGA Black Bios and it's working without any problems so far:

You posted Inno3D bios works well, also - call me crazy, but the Inno has a very ugly boot message and it's an older one (older build date)... thas why i've flashed the EVGA one...

Hi,
you probably have the OC Version of the 2070 Mini with the A-Chip. That is why it is compatible for you, but not me.

Greetings

Reactions: CountNoctua

Centurio

Efficiency Noob
Sep 10, 2019
Hi,
you probably have the OC Version of the 2070 Mini with the A-Chip. That is why it is compatible for you, but not me.

Greetings

Nope - i've the non OC Version...
The Device ID is the same - 10DE 1F02... as i saw in div forums/revies - the A-Chip versions uses differnt Device IDs as the non-A's...

IamWilf

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 9, 2019
I have the 'Super' version of this card and NVFLASH failed to flash the bios. Does the super have the wrong chip?

Arrandale

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
I have the 'Super' version of this card and NVFLASH failed to flash the bios. Does the super have the wrong chip?
Hi, the 2070 Super is a different Card and needs a different BIOS. You can search through the VGA BIOS Collection https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...070+Super&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since= and pick out a BIOS with Zero Fan Mode. Then test it out if it all works, Fans, Clock, etc. If not just flash a different one or go back to the original. How you backup the original is shown in the Guide afaik.

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
Sharing an alternate solution for the ones who are looking for better fan control and have trouble flashing to a silent bios :
- Connect the GPU fan to MB fan port, with a 4 Pin PWM Fan Connector Female to 4 Pin Mini GPU Fan Connector Male ($10 on Moddiy)
- Switch fan control to PWM in bios for the connected fan port (or manual with allow fan stop)
- If supported by MB, do the fan curve in bios or software. For me, Argus Monitor was the only option that worked to completely stop the GPU fan at idle; I use it for CPU/GPU/CASE curve fans and definitively recommend this little gem

Last edited:

cwspellowe

Cable Smoosher
New User
Mar 7, 2020
I managed to get 21% fan speed using a Galax bios on my 2070 Super Mini, haven't found a zero fan bios yet though

Firtermish

Case Bender
New User
Jun 4, 2020
Hi Arandale,

Huge thanks for posting this!

Is your card working OK with the I3D2070X2.rom BIOS? On mine, the bottom DisplayPort stopped working after flashing it. The 0% fan works, but I got weird stuttering in Windows - monitor on 144Hz but looks like 50Hz - cursor and windows (when dragged) seem to jump instead of moving fluently. I re-flashed original BIOS and DisplayPort works again. The weird stuttering is gone, too.

I had the exact same problem. Display port stopped working. I thought it could be software but not even a Windows reset solved it. The card would not even display image at the bios. I tried different BIOS and had the same results.

Firtermish

Case Bender
New User
Jun 4, 2020
Sorry for writing again. I'm new to the forums and couldn't find how to edit my previous post.

I've just realized what happened. Basically by flashing bioses with different input layouts, you are negating one or more of your outputs. This means that if you are flashing a BIOS that has 1 type C port instead of 1 displayport, your dispayport and or any other ports that differ from your board design are going to be negated since the bios thinks you have a different array of ports. It just so happened that the negated port I was using was the one I had my monitor hooked up with. Just keep this in mind while hunting for different BIOS.

Another mistake you should avoid is renaming the roms you download. I did this at the beginning to simplify the job while on cmd but ended up having problems.

Thank you to the original poster for such a clear guide.

janluigi

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 4, 2020
I managed to get 21% fan speed using a Galax bios on my 2070 Super Mini, haven't found a zero fan bios yet though
Sorry for the gravedigging, but I came here to find out how to lower the noise of the Zotac 2070 super mini. Zotac customer service seems to have become ridiculously bad.

Which bios did you flash exactly? I am thinking of sticking with those 21% while slapping Noctuas on the card if there a no negative side effects. Then again, it is absolutely ridiculous that I actually have to do that.

Arrandale

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Sorry for the gravedigging, but I came here to find out how to lower the noise of the Zotac 2070 super mini. Zotac customer service seems to have become ridiculously bad.

Which bios did you flash exactly? I am thinking of sticking with those 21% while slapping Noctuas on the card if there a no negative side effects. Then again, it is absolutely ridiculous that I actually have to do that.

Hi!
the supplied BIOS only works for the standard RTX 2070 non Super. Honestly, instead of playing with the BIOS i would just slap on a slim 120mm fan and call it a day. I used a Scythe Kaze Flex 120 Slim and forgot about it. Quieter and cooler, if looks don't matter to you. I didn't even bother to connect the fan to the card, i just gave it a speed curve in the Mainboard BIOS attached to the mainboard temperature sensor.
If you do want to use a different BIOS to change the fanspeeds, consult the TechPowerUp VBIOS Collection and try your luck.

Reactions: janluigi