GPU Zotac GTX 1050 Ti OC Edition - Fan speeds?

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
I bought this card a few weeks ago, but I still haven't got the chance to test it or even see it (it's a long story). Problem is, I've just read that it's got a 45% minimum fan curve, BIOS locked, at idle, which sounds ridiculous to me. From what I've seen, there are no BIOS updates anywhere on Zotac's website, and some people mention that the "Mini" version of Zotac's 1050 Ti, which also has the same problem, never got an update to fix this.

So, does anyone here have one, is it really loud and is there any BIOS update anywhere that let you decrease the fan curve?

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
I finally just got it and built my first "proper" PC ever (all the others were either pre-built or mobile CPU barebones) and it is LOUD. The minimum fan speed is indeed 45% and it can't be changed, at least on Linux. I'll try it on Windows within the next couple of days, but boy am I disappointed :(
Coming from an ASUS Chromebox running Windows 10 which almost never needed its fan turned on (and when it did it was inaudible), I actually thought it was running at 100% fan speed until I saw the NVidia control panel stating 45%...Even the CPU fan bothers me, and that's at extremely low rpm XD
I have to get used to this it seems...didn't think the noise would bother me so much.

Reactions: Coach_Rico

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Mar 16, 2017
I finally just got it and built my first "proper" PC ever (all the others were either pre-built or mobile CPU barebones) and it is LOUD. The minimum fan speed is indeed 45% and it can't be changed, at least on Linux. I'll try it on Windows within the next couple of days, but boy am I disappointed :(
Coming from an ASUS Chromebox running Windows 10 which almost never needed its fan turned on (and when it did it was inaudible), I actually thought it was running at 100% fan speed until I saw the NVidia control panel stating 45%...Even the CPU fan bothers me, and that's at extremely low rpm XD
I have to get used to this it seems...didn't think the noise would bother me so much.
I have the same card and the same issue. Can get loud in my S4 mini whereas my more power hungry asus GTX 970 in my gaming rig is dead silent ... Disappointing

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
The worst thing is that this card is insanely cool - under a gaming load mine never even reaches 30ºC!! And still the fans have to be at 45% of their max rpm...it's crazy

Reactions: Coach_Rico

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Mar 16, 2017
The worst thing is that this card is insanely cool - under a gaming load mine never even reaches 30ºC!! And still the fans have to be at 45% of their max rpm...it's crazy
I know same here. I am thinking about an alternate cooling solution for it. But removing the shroud and fan in an S4 mini does not give me a lot of additional place for a bigger fan. I am not sure if the Artic Cooling Accelero L2 plus will fit in the case ...

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Had similar issue on my Galax 750Ti card, ended up changing the fan for a lower current(Powercool?) than stock wouldn't even turn on til about 50% fan curve. Though not running the card anymore and can't say that'll work everytime.

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Mar 16, 2017
Had similar issue on my Galax 750Ti card, ended up changing the fan for a lower current(Powercool?) than stock wouldn't even turn on til about 50% fan curve. Though not running the card anymore and can't say that'll work everytime.
You just replaced the fan without tweaking bios/fan curve etc ... Just a physical swap right? I might give it a shot! Thanks!

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
You just replaced the fan without tweaking bios/fan curve etc ... Just a physical swap right? I might give it a shot! Thanks!

Yep, only thing I did was had to re-use the connector as it was a 2-pin, voltage controlled.