GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4060 8GB SOLO: Low FPS

Cerberus

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I just upgraded from a Radeon R9 Nano, and installed a new mobo and CPU as well. When I benchmark in Talos Principle II and Shadow of the Tombraider I get around 15 FPS. In Furmark, I get around 200. I download and installed the GPU driver (551.23-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql), but Windows crashes after installing it. I uninstalled the driver, upgraded from Win10 to Win11, but Windows still crashes after installing the driver. I have a Skyreach 4 Mini case, and I am considering installing the GPU directly in case the riser is causing problems.

Also, I have to buy a soldering station to solder the power cable to the GPU because power plugs in on the top instead of on the back like the R9 Nano, but that's a challenge for another day. I've been meaning to get one anyway.

Device name DESKTOP-F10GSBI
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13400F 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thanks for your help.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Do you have a PCIe 4.0 riser cable? Because both your new GPU and motherboard are PCIe 4.0.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
I just upgraded from a Radeon R9 Nano, and installed a new mobo and CPU as well. When I benchmark in Talos Principle II and Shadow of the Tombraider I get around 15 FPS. In Furmark, I get around 200. I download and installed the GPU driver (551.23-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql), but Windows crashes after installing it. I uninstalled the driver, upgraded from Win10 to Win11, but Windows still crashes after installing the driver. I have a Skyreach 4 Mini case, and I am considering installing the GPU directly in case the riser is causing problems.

Also, I have to buy a soldering station to solder the power cable to the GPU because power plugs in on the top instead of on the back like the R9 Nano, but that's a challenge for another day. I've been meaning to get one anyway.

Device name DESKTOP-F10GSBI
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13400F 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thanks for your help.
I would do a clean uninstall of the driver using Display Driver Uninstaller https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

then try reinstalling the new driver.

sometimes when switching from AMD to Nvidia or vice-versa it can cause problems, so its best to do a clean install.

Cerberus

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Do you have a PCIe 4.0 riser cable? Because both your new GPU and motherboard are PCIe 4.0.
In the BIOS under Advanced >> Chipset Configuration >> PCIE1 Link Speed, I changed it from Auto to Gen 3. Apparently, auto is very far from ideal. I am okay with taking a small penalty in performance for now: diminishing returns. My GPU is less powerful than a RTX 3080 anyway. I am getting 120 FPS plus or minus 20 FPS, and the driver installed without a problem Muchas gracias, @rfarmer . From xtia.design,

There’s no need to be concerned about being limited to Gen3, as testing has shown that even with an RTX 3080, there is less than a 5% performance loss downgrading from a Gen4 to Gen3 connection.

Reactions: rfarmer