Zotac EN1070 CPU Upgrade

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
So this is a build...of sorts. If I'm in the wrong spot please forgive me.

I've been running a Zotac EN1070 as a living room gaming PC for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, it's been struggling lately as games begin to take advantage of more threads. A good example of this would be Battlefield 1. If I got onto a 64 player server, even at 1080P low settings, I would see the frame rate tank to the high 20s when things got crazy on screen. Newer games were even worse. My CPU usage would be at 100% for all four cores of the stock 6400T.

Here is a quick review of the stock specs:

Intel 6400T (4 Core - 4 Thread 2.8GHZ Boost clock, 2.5GHZ all core turbo)
Nvidia GTX 1070 Laptop model. This will boost to about 1400mhz under heavy load. So about GTX 1060 Desktop performance.

To that I added 16GB of RAM, and a 512GB SSD.

I needed more CPU speed and more threads. So the logical choice was the Intel I7-6700T. It boosts to 3.4GHZ with 4 Cores and 8 Threads. I got mine second hand by stripping it out of an HP officer machine.

The swap wasn't too difficult. I tore down the system, swapped the CPU, put fresh paste on, rebuilt it, and crossed my fingers hoping it would boot. Two beeps later, the BIOS recognized the CPU, and Windows loaded without a hitch. I did make one change: I allowed the internal fan to rev to 100% instead of just 80%. Other than that, I left everything else alone.

The system booted right up, with no issues. I loaded up Battlefield 1 and.....

HOLY CRAPOLA! It's like I'm using a different computer. The 6700T allowed the GPU to stretch its legs. My frame rate, at 1200P, Ultra Settings was as high as 100FPS range. I was normally in the 80 to 90FPS range with NONE of the CPU based drops I had before. Temps were good as well. The GPU was in the 70C range, and the CPU in the 80C range. Perfectly acceptable. The CPU boosted all the way up to 3.4GHZ all cores. Pure awesome.

To anyone running these systems, you should seriously consider doing this upgrade!

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I moved the 6400T back into the HP G2 EliteDesk....man this thing is tiny...... and now it's folding 24-7 next to the Zotac.

Reactions: Arboreal

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Just an update... I saw the CPU core speeds dancing between 3.1 and 3.4 GHZ constantly. This was causing some odd frame behavior. To fix it I limited the 6700T to a 3.2GHZ all core turbo. Now it's rock steady at 3.2GHZ, and the frame issues have vanished. The system is currently folding 24-7 on the GPU for my team, Faulty Logic.

chromov113

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2020
Just an update... I saw the CPU core speeds dancing between 3.1 and 3.4 GHZ constantly. This was causing some odd frame behavior. To fix it I limited the 6700T to a 3.2GHZ all core turbo. Now it's rock steady at 3.2GHZ, and the frame issues have vanished. The system is currently folding 24-7 on the GPU for my team, Faulty Logic.

You probably could solve it with just the Windows power consumption settings, have you tried?

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
You probably could solve it with just the Windows power consumption settings, have you tried?

I did, but it didn't seem to help.

I just played Battlefield 5 on it at 1200P, High settings getting mostly 60FPS the entire time for the last hour. The highest CPU temp I saw was 90C. Most of the time it was mid 80s. Not great, not terrible.

I'll pay the price of a hotter system to get the massive increase in performance over the 6400T.

On a side note, my 6400T has been folding 24/7 in an HP Elite Desk G2 at about 65C. Props to HP on this little awesome machine.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Delid would help dramatically.

No doubt there. However, as the temps are within spec, and the 6700T is expensive to replace if things go sideways, I think I'm going to leave it for now. But it is in the back of my mind.

I also played around with BFV a bit more. I was able to get it to pretty much a locked 60FPS, Ultra settings, at 1920x1200 by switching to DX12. It's the first system I've had that didn't stutter when I did that.

Reactions: Poblopuablo