First SFF build - Velka 3 and CPU TDP

yolobuild

Case Bender
Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
Hello everyone,
I'm planning my first SFF build and I need your help.

A brief introduction first: I'm not new to the custom pc building scene, but I'm a complete newbie with ultra compact builds. The purpose of this build is for gaming only, in particular "old" and/or CPU intensive games that do not benefit from high numbers of cores or super high-end graphic cards (Wow, Dota 2, MMORPG like SWTOR, etc) What they need is dual core performances and high clock speed. This guy explains it better (build and benchmarks). I would ideally want to play on a 21:9 2560x1080 ultrawide monitor with at least 100Hz of refresh rate.

So these are the components so far:

CASE: Velka 3
CPU: i3-9350kf (4.0 Ghz base clock, 4,6 Ghz Boost, 91W TDP)
MOBO: Asrock Z390M ITX/AC (or similar with a H370 chipset if I don't want to OC)
RAM: Depends on the cooler: either 16Gb of Gskill TridentZ or Vengeance LPX if I need a low profile memory
SSD: 256Gb Adata XPG SX8200 PRO (nvme)
GPU: Depends on cooler: either a 1050ti mini (dual slot) or a 1650 Mini (single slot)
PSU: Silverstone 350W FX350
CPU COOLER: pls send help

So, here is the problem:
The noctua l9i is perfect for the case but not for the CPU (noctua recommends it for 65W tdp CPU's at max).
  • I could go for the i3-9100F but the point of this build is having high clock speeds so..
  • I could go for a taller cooler and a single slot gpu. This option would of course limit future gpu upgrades given the little amount of single slot performing gpu.Whats the best cooler with a max height of 52mm for this purpose?
  • Is overclocking a possible thing in this type of cases? Would you recommend it? If yes what cooling options should I consider? Liquid cooling on a Velka 3? I don't even think there are radiators that small.
Any advice regarding the build is well accepted really.
Thanks in advance! :)

tldr: best way to cool a i3-9350k (4,60 Ghz boost, 91 TDP) in a Velka 3 case.

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
My case in my avatar that I built with the Velka 3 as inspiration runs a 9900K under an L9i, it does 5GHz all cores/160W for about 30 seconds before throttling to 4.6-4.7GHz all core pushing 140W continuous. I have better top fans (one of the main reasons for making my own) but it's all fine. Note that I've got my temp limit set to 98°C, some people don't like that but I'm OK with it.

Reactions: Kooki and yolobuild

dzjlimit

Caliper Novice
Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2019
Here is my build, hope this can help you. I am also open to advice:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC
MSI RTX 2060 super aero itx
Noctua L9a
G.Skill Flare X 2*8G 3200 CL14
970EVO 1TB
Enhance ENB-7660B 600W

Also, for the RAM, I think TridentZ might exceed the height limit

Reactions: k0n and yolobuild

yolobuild

Case Bender
Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
My case in my avatar that I built with the Velka 3 as inspiration runs a 9900K under an L9i, it does 5GHz all cores/160W for about 30 seconds before throttling to 4.6-4.7GHz all core pushing 140W continuous. I have better top fans (one of the main reasons for making my own) but it's all fine. Note that I've got my temp limit set to 98°C, some people don't like that but I'm OK with it.
That's quite extreme! Since the i3-9350k maxes at 4,6 Ghz it may just work. Said that I'm not really comfortable with temps over 80-85
Here is my build, hope this can help you. I am also open to advice:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC
MSI RTX 2060 super aero itx
Noctua L9a
G.Skill Flare X 2*8G 3200 CL14
970EVO 1TB
Enhance ENB-7660B 600W

Also, for the RAM, I think TridentZ might exceed the height limit
Thanks for the note on the ram's height. Did you swap the stock psu fan with a noctua one? I know stock flex psu can be quite noisy

Sarafan

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2019
That's quite extreme! Since the i3-9350k maxes at 4,6 Ghz it may just work. Said that I'm not really comfortable with temps over 80-85

Thanks for the note on the ram's height. Did you swap the stock psu fan with a noctua one? I know stock flex psu can be quite noisy
There is no need to. He has the best flex PSU you can buy.

dzjlimit

Caliper Novice
Bronze Supporter
Oct 25, 2019

I did swap the stock psu fan with a noctua one and it is on the way. I will post more reviews and pictures once it arrives.

Reactions: yolobuild

kroken

Trash Compacter
Dec 20, 2019
Are you using delid or direct die?