"Zen-chan" - 9L, micro ATX mobo, modded/themed SFFtime P-ATX build

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
I initially came up with this build idea last summer, but put it off in favor of other projects. Also, I was waiting on the release of the sfftime P-ATX case, which is now out. I have close to all of the parts on hand now, as well as having enough of the customization started for me to feel comfortable posting more pics and details (didn't want to post too early like my "Megabat" build, which is currently paused until I finish this one).

This build is largely designed to be a way for me to play with more modding and 3D printing elements, though I do intend to actually use it as a backup computer and for light home server (media/file server) duties, as well as a power efficient, dedicated PC to manage a bunch of devices (3D printers, CNC router, IoT and networking gear).

So that's the reason for a relatively high amount of customization for a lower-to-mid specifications build. This will also serve as my primary computer until my Megabat build is up and running.

Specifications:
Case: SFFTime P-ATX
Mobo: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM
CPU: Ryzen 1600 ("AF" SKU)
HSF: Cryorig C7 Cu Graphene w/120mm fan adapter, slim fan*
RAM: Team T-FORCE DELTA RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
SSD: Team Group T-FORCE Delta Max RGB
PSU: Fractal Design Ion SFX 500W
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SC Ultra Gaming
Case fans: 3x Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XR2 Fan (60mm)
Lighting/Other: Phanteks RGB strips

Modifications:
  • Custom 3D Printed GPU shroud, with painted noctua 92mm fans
  • Custom length and color PSU cables
  • Case and most parts painted blue/purple
  • PSU fan swap
  • Custom ventilated window panel

* have a couple options here that I'm testing

Theme of this build is Zeno/Zen-oh (aka "Zen-chan", from the anime series Dragon Ball Super). A play on words as the name Zen-chan also refers to the fact that the CPU is Zen-based, as well as the PC build being diminutive at ~9L for the case.

I'm hoping to have this done in the next week or two (crossing fingers to avoid any setbacks?). This post will be edited with final build pics/gallery link once completed, but other pics and progress will be put in posts below this.

Last edited:

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Components

P-ATX case interior, stock - quite an efficient layout:

Case Interior.jpg

Custom cables (CableMod) - I could have ordered shorter cables, but added some headroom because I wasn't quite sure if I would maybe need some room in case I needed to re-route some of the cables for cleaner cable management:

Cables.jpg

Rest of the components:

The Parts.jpg

Checking the mobo and PSU in the case:

Motherboard and PSU.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: riba2233

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Modding

Case - painted blue

Case Painted - Exterior.jpg

Case Interior - ended up scratching it up a bit, since I didn't use too much primer, coats, or clear coat, but mostly in areas covered by mobo. Will do a more thorough job next time I paint a case, though. :)

Case Painted - Interior.jpg

GPU - disassembled

Naked GPU.jpg

Painted Fans for GPU - Noctua NF-A9x14

NF-A9x14 painted.jpg

Printing Custom GPU Shroud - why am I craving waffles all of a sudden? ?

Shroud Print In Progress.jpg

Finished Shroud Print - could have done more to get it smooth (more sanding, use epoxy/filler), but came out okay otherwise.

Unpainted Shroud.jpg

Custom Polycarbonate Window Panel - checking fitment. Later lightly sanded edges and lightly tinted with smoke tint (Tamiya polycarbonate spray).

Custom Window Panel.jpg

Painted components - keyboard still a work in progress. Needed an adapter to use the Silverstone fan (top right) with the PSU, so for now using painted stock Globe fan (bottom right) in the PSU.

Painted Components.jpg

Dotting the eyes - just circular stickers, Sharpied black.

Dotting the Eyes.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba and riba2233

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2020
Finished build last week (for the most part), updated thread with pics. I say "for the most part" because I still have things to do before it really feels completely finished, more so for the entire setup (including matching custom keyboard, custom deskmat) but also things like adding magnets to attach the side panel window, managing cables better, putting case on its stand, and adding custom artwork to the right/mobo side panel. Hoping to have those things done by the end of this month. :)

Ran into issues with the riser, which I'm fixing/sfftime (riba2233) is taking care of and addressing for future units. Early unit and it's a new case, so not unexpected, and I'm really liking the case otherwise. Will post testing results and such once I take care of that, likely in a week or two.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
First, nice username, Bots Master is an underrated cartoon. That's a pretty sweet color scheme you pulled off with the build, looks well done.

The GPU shroud does remind me of the Yeston Cute Pet though XD