Your Thoughts on this Year's Computex re: mITX and mATX stuff

Dedaciai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
Hi Everyone,

What are your thoughts on this year's Computex as it relates to SFF PC items? Overall, I was a little disappointed. For me, the SFX PSU lineup is really taking off, but I didn't see any SFF cases that really wowed me. As in, I don't think there was a single SFF case out there that picked up on the design cues of the NCASE, DAN A4, or the Cerberus. Or, just doing something interesting and outside of the box that could fit standard PC hardware (at least mostly standard hardware like an LP cooler, mITX MB, graphics card, and an SSD or two)

Was there anything out there at Computex that wowed you from an SFF standpoint?

Thanks in advance!

Dedaciai

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The CRYORIG cases wowed me a bit, especially the TAKU. Not every case has to be like the current generation of indie cases - there's more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

Noctua did preview a few smaller fans, including slim 120 and 140mm units, which is a bonus.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
800W Titanium SFX-L Powersupply was pretty amazing (presuming it makes it to market in the not too distant future).

I found the worst thing about computex to be the shear unsophistication of design and marketing throughout. Makes me think that these companies think that the target market is a bunch of drooling mongoloid seven year olds. I didn't see much that wasn't gaudy as hell.

Dedaciai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 31, 2016
The CRYORIG cases wowed me a bit, especially the TAKU. Not every case has to be like the current generation of indie cases - there's more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

Noctua did preview a few smaller fans, including slim 120 and 140mm units, which is a bonus.

Yeah, I'd say the TAKU (flat one?) was definitely a nice design...the trash can one, I am not so sure.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
RGB lights = bleh

SFX power supplies = cool but long overdue......and almost nobody with cases to support them - including the companies that released them at Computex!!!! (except Lian-Li)

The BeQuiet! and Coolermaster modular cases are great. I hope they can get them to market soon, especially the smaller CoolerMaster ITX mATX cases

Bitfenix and Antec both had nice looking cases, but the Antec's had already been shown before and the Bitfenix I guess won't release anytime soon. It seemed like most companies had nothing to show this time around except some concepts which were just modifications of existing designs, or stuff that is a year or so away from going on sale. It honestly made me feel like the PC market is really dieing.

I hope the ROG Avalon can make it to production, even though it's not perfect, it's something the industry needs to innovate. This could open a whole new world for case designs.

I also feel the market has become too saturated. Too much crap being released, that's why i'm hopeful for the modular cases succeeding. Let me build exactly what I want and not have to compare 15 different nearly identical cases of which none do quite what i want.

I found the worst thing about computex to be the shear unsophistication of design and marketing throughout. Makes me think that these companies think that the target market is a bunch of drooling mongoloid seven year olds. I didn't see much that wasn't gaudy as hell.

QFT

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Gaudy ?

Like this ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
These are casefans (Magicfan from Deepcool), but instead of using a classic frame outside of the fan's airflow and to guide the air, it uses novelty frames that block about 20% of the airflow but have these sweet RGB LEDs that you can control with your smartphone ! Also no need (or way) to protect your fingers fromthe fan blades, who needs those ! OMG ! Some of this might be cynical.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
While I don't care for the LEDs (if you're going to go for the cyberpunk look, do it properly and use EL wire/panels/tape for even lighting), I quite like the frame design aesthetically, even if it will probably be awful at moving air.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I wasn't too impressed with this years line up from the press reviews that I saw. I did however have some interest in the new Noctua 200mm fans. If they happen to have a high SP compared to whats on the market they might see some great success in the water-cooled slim scratch cases.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
Concisely:
RGB ATX RGB ATX RGB ATX PAAASSSCAAAALLLLL

But the NF-F12 successor is pretty cool. Hopefully it won't take 3 years to reach the market.

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
This years Computex wa gang busters in many ways. Mostly positive.. then there was Intel ... I'm sorry.. dick weeds. Intel first. they had an oppertunity to stand the world on it's head with.. Oh kill me. please! Why no price drops. WTF US$$ for that ten core chip, which isn't that much over what the hard core users know about the last gen.. YOU F'N shills Intel. (I would not piss on them if they were on fire in front of me to relieve them of any amout of agony!) OH shit I'm only beguining to go off.(Ban meter is on Red Alert, I'm sorry..this is an opine piece)
No, never mind.. I have intel on my hate list as high as Comcast, Verizon.. all the known suckers of whoha. (I'm try'n to dodge a ban here to, lol)

Positives..ABOUND. Though I'm sure we could all argue price points for this or that as well. Cases. Yeah some too many had way to high a price point.. but I was a gawke'n at many of the desings. LED this and that. I was, meh.. But my ahole was impressed by the level of control being offered. Yea.. no ones stuck with this color here..across the whole damn thing. It's like a God Damned Pink Floyd Concert Light Show now. SO, Hell yes. Steppen up the game. Use what you want for your build..as little.. or go nuts. WIN for the end user.

Cases, this year everyone was trying to be prepared for.....INWIN. HOw many where copying for INWIN last year? at trying to go.. mmm a little bit as BAZONKERS. INWIN has proven they can compete with any and all case mfgrs. And had some damn nice stuff to..well. I WANT IT this year.

Big suprize. something as I mentioned.. Fans. Control of...and all the MOBO mfgrs are in the circus tent with dat. BUT fans.. anyone pay attention to SFX PSUs. bah. not the main youtubers till they ran out of the conert light shows to go girly about. Silverstone. ROCKED. I hope. waiting to see marks, ehem, on some sites, ehem, that sill give a hooha about PSU and SOLID RAILS! I digress for a sip of fine Russian Vodka for a moment.. or
five. Ten minutes. tops *hic

Watercooling. Hey EK said FU NVID we're not going to support your stinking 1080..opps.. others did. And from what I've seen. EK.. they're closing in on your quality. (Help me out here.. Phata something err)

In closing.. I've only skimmed the dirt off a finger print. My lasers could start shaving off micro meters of fleash. Why go there.

My opine. I saw alot of kick ass shizz at this years comutex..thanks to many on the intwernets. Enough so that I feel, unlike the last three to this years.. MFGRS are applying a lot of pressuse to the likes of INTEL and AMD, Nvid and AMD. in fact. some of the major players (prayers) may be looking to go Apples way.. F'em and design they're own silicon.

BTW, I'm keeping my eye open for what the youtubers in the world don't look for.. Code, Software innovations. MS is under the Gun, Google is bringing the heat. WWDC from apple just ahead.

In spint of my knee jerk reactions to go th F off on all of them.. I do see a light at the end of the tunnel... and some g damn patent troll will ruin it!

Loves peeps and peace. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

LooseNeutral

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 3, 2015
WHY?.. I've never seen such a light show befor and what you can do with all these things.. I'm having a 13 yearold perspective. nah. The last time I got excited was when I found this dude CraigBru.. I didn't know shit.. didn't say shit to anyone.. I just sat back..as an Apple dude..and freaked. That was Sandybridge. I've not seen the mfgrs or all else since go this far at any show since.. it's been awhile. Fine if it's carnie stuff here and there. TB3 external enclosures running your GPU inside..was a dream 5 years ago. Then APple was showing TB and it was kicking ass.. not for the pc community..they hate Aplle. THen TB2.. PC was like what. TB who? Now. And they're ahead of Apple..hmmm. maybe.. considering Apple owns, w/intel, that spec. Damn.. Apple gets money frome excited PC peeps.

I care not about all that bs. Hey, Intel said they're pulling out of the desctop market. I call BS , they just can't compete with ARM... and welll. It wasan't a thrilling computex. Except mfgrs are figuring ways around all these limitaions imposed. Rebellion. and I love it.

I'm sorry it's true. You're Xbox or PS4 is more powerfull than your phone was two years ago. and.. next gen will be x amount times faster.

Sandybridge. every forum in the would was loaded down with mod builds. I'm sorry we're seeing the end of the modding era.. Coulda fooled me by all the crazy shit I saw at computex. Sorry, I love modders building beautiful shiz gen to gen. If what's out there now isn't powerful enough for you.. I scratches head.

Last edited: