CPU x570 ITX boards - Chipset/VRM fans (optoins to kill them?)

Pagusas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2022
So I'm doing a weird sideways upgrade build, basically wanting to downsize my 011 build to a mini itx build. Right now I'm running a x5950 in a Asus Dark Hero and a EVGA 3090 XC3, bios modded to run at 390watts and watercooled with an EK Block. I like building and I'm bored of the bigger space wasting build, so I'm downsizing to a SFF build. Almost all my parts can move over (even the PSU as I went SFX-L in the original build), but of course the mobo has to be replaced.

So simple right? Just jump to a Asus x570 itx board and be done with it. But to my horror all of the x570 itx boards have miniture chipset fans that scream at high RPM and seem to run all the time. So my questions are:

1. Are there any new boards coming out with beefer heatsinks to avoid the need for VRM/Chipset Fans?
2. Has anyone modded any of these boards themselves with better heatsinks to avoid the need for a fan?
3. If none of the above, I'll go the route of a EKWB Monoblock, I just wanted to avoid that as I've heard hit and miss things about their performance.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
It looks like some people put better thermal pads under the chipset fan primarily. But also putting a A4x10 in there somewhere apparently, or reducing pcie speeds to x3.0 since it doesn't matter unless you have latest gen nvme, and helps temps a bit. This is just a few things I read since I don't have that board.

Reactions: AlexTSG

Pagusas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 11, 2022
ohhhh thank you, I'll read up on this. I will want the full PCI4 bandwidth as I'm using 2 980pro SSD's.

While researching after this post I also found Gigabyte released a x570s for a no fan solution: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-x570si-aorus-pro-ax/p/N82E16813145380

The only problem is I've found Gigabyte to be the lowest of low in terms of quality, not sure I'm willing to make that jump down to them. Also their boards don't have a thermal input for water temp readings, that would be annoying as I like to maintain fan speed based on water temp.

Reactions: thelaughingman