Memory X470-I With 64GB - Anyone?

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Hi, my current S4Mini build has a ASUS X-470I motherboard with Ryzen 7 2700X CPU and 32GB G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ RAM
Unfortunately 32GB is not cutting it for me even overclocked to 3466 MHz.

So I was wondering if anyone successfully installed 64GB or even 128GB?
From what I'm aware of the CPU supports 128GB but 64GB would already make a big difference for my daily work.

Thanks for any info

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
What is your workflow that is saturating 32GB? You mention clock speeds as being insufficient when referencing your RAM capacity, which is the issue and why?

Have you checked the boards RAM QVL? Might give you a hint as to what's possible.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
What is your workflow that is saturating 32GB? You mention clock speeds as being insufficient when referencing your RAM capacity, which is the issue and why?

Have you checked the boards RAM QVL? Might give you a hint as to what's possible.

I'm using my system as a DAW, some plugins/virtual instruments require lot's of RAM as they stream audio in real-time... and that with about 32 to 64 instances of the same plugin in an average session.

Overclocking from the original 3200MHz spec to a higher setting works to some extent but still not enough to get a stable workflow without crashes or freezes. CPU wise, overclocking it to 3700MHz as base speed did the trick, and these settings go higher automatically when needed.

The Mobo's QVL doesn't make me much wiser so far as the official spec's stay at 32GB.
But when pasting this formula in command prompt I do get 128GB as result.

Code: wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices

Result 1: MaxCapacity MemoryDevices
134217728 2

Divided by 1048576 to convert KB to GB = 128

Cheers!

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
I'm using my system as a DAW, some plugins/virtual instruments require lot's of RAM as they stream audio in real-time... and that with about 32 to 64 instances of the same plugin in an average session.

Overclocking from the original 3200MHz spec to a higher setting works to some extent but still not enough to get a stable workflow without crashes or freezes. CPU wise, overclocking it to 3700MHz as base speed did the trick, and these settings go higher automatically when needed.

The Mobo's QVL doesn't make me much wiser so far as the official spec's stay at 32GB.
But when pasting this formula in command prompt I do get 128GB as result.

Code: wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices

Result 1: MaxCapacity MemoryDevices
134217728 2

Divided by 1048576 to convert KB to GB = 128

Cheers!
Sure, so you're saturating 32GB with the plugin but overclocking the RAM and CPU help with performance but the RAM capacity is still saturated?

My guess would be that higher capacity modules will work just fine, they just haven't been tested. Perhaps you could order a kit that offers free returns so if they don't work, it's an easy refund?

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Overclocking does help with performance indeed, yet not very stable though... I get more blue screens or the Win 10 version of a blue screen.
But your idea for the RAM modules sounds like a plan, Ill contact my supplier next week and see what modules they suggest.

Thx

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Overclocking does help with performance indeed, yet not very stable though... I get more blue screens or the Win 10 version of a blue screen.
But your idea for the RAM modules sounds like a plan, Ill contact my supplier next week and see what modules they suggest.

Thx
If rock solid stability with no data loss is a priority, you might want to consider ECC memory. You have to shop around to find higher binned ICs for ECC but they won't contribute to your blue screen woes.

Have you ran memtest to see if your RAM clocks/timings are stable?

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
If rock solid stability with no data loss is a priority, you might want to consider ECC memory. You have to shop around to find higher binned ICs for ECC but they won't contribute to your blue screen woes.

Have you ran memtest to see if your RAM clocks/timings are stable?

My clocks are stable, it's just saturation or running out of memory as I keep going to get my work done...
I looked into the ECC modules and I found a few 32GB modules that are affordable but also found 64GB modules at a price point of 1100€ a pop... not really my cup of tea at the moment.

I think I just stay in the G.Skill range and get 2x 32GB modules at 3200MHz and overclock again to 3466MHz

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
My clocks are stable, it's just saturation or running out of memory as I keep going to get my work done...
I looked into the ECC modules and I found a few 32GB modules that are affordable but also found 64GB modules at a price point of 1100€ a pop... not really my cup of tea at the moment.

I think I just stay in the G.Skill range and get 2x 32GB modules at 3200MHz and overclock again to 3466MHz
You shouldn't be getting BSOD just for saturating RAM though right? Surely it should just start loading into your page/swap file, unless you have disabled it?

As for ECC, there are plenty unbuffered 3200 MHz 32GB modules to be had such as these from Kingston. Less than 130 euros each, and it's Micron e-die too so should clock well.

I've not came across any 64GB EUDIMMS as I've not really had any reason to look but I think you're getting into the LRDIMM density which won't run on AM4.

EDIT: Or these, if you want them straight from Micron.

Last edited:

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
You shouldn't be getting BSOD just for saturating RAM though right? Surely it should just start loading into your page/swap file, unless you have disabled it?

As for ECC, there are plenty unbuffered 3200 MHz 32GB modules to be had such as these from Kingston. Less than 130 euros each, and it's Micron e-die too so should clock well.

I've not came across any 64GB EUDIMMS as I've not really had any reason to look but I think you're getting into the LRDIMM density which won't run on AM4.

EDIT: Or these, if you want them straight from Micron.

I wrote down the last 4 stop codes/BSOD's and all seem to be different.
  1. NTFS.sys
  2. AMDHub31.sys
  3. Kernel mode Heap Corruption
  4. System Service Exeption
My page/swap file is disabled indeed as my C drive, Projects drive are both SSD, my audio samples/plugin data streaming is NMVe, the rest are 7200rpm storage/archive drives. I looked into page files this morning and after all these years of being told you don't need one on SSD it appears you can still benefit from it, but a 48GB page-file as minimum is rather large IMHO. Ill do some testing though.

As for the ECC modules, I'm not sure if I really need them though, it mainly capacity and speed that I need.
But Ill get in touch with my supplier later this week and see what we can come up with..

Cheers!

couchpotato

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2019
Hi, my current S4Mini build has a ASUS X-470I motherboard with Ryzen 7 2700X CPU and 32GB G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ RAM
Unfortunately 32GB is not cutting it for me even overclocked to 3466 MHz.

So I was wondering if anyone successfully installed 64GB or even 128GB?
From what I'm aware of the CPU supports 128GB but 64GB would already make a big difference for my daily work.

Thanks for any info
I have the B450 i. I forget which BIOS update that would support 64GB RAM. Anyway the latest BIOS(NOT the Beta vision, important)certainly will do. Even in Asus QVL lists only G Skill 64GB memory. I use Corsair LPX 64GB without issue. I can even OC it from 3000MHz to 3400MHz and run tighter timings.

Enter Plasma

Caliper Novice
Enter Plasma
Sep 24, 2018
There's several standard kits of 2x32gb which should work fine. 128gb is not doable with conventional boards, you need either registered or load reduced ram to have 64gb modules with current DDR4 density.

If you're up to a board upgrade there's an Asrock Rack ITX board with 4 sodimm slots, that one can handle 128gb. It's pretty expensive but if it makes you money it may make sense to you.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
I have the B450 i. I forget which BIOS update that would support 64GB RAM. Anyway the latest BIOS(NOT the Beta vision, important)certainly will do. Even in Asus QVL lists only G Skill 64GB memory. I use Corsair LPX 64GB without issue. I can even OC it from 3000MHz to 3400MHz and run tighter timings.

The bios Beta version looked tempting to install but I didn't, not sure why they posted an update and clearly tell you not to use it...
Anyway, I solved the problem a bit for now by adding a 48GB page/swap-file and this is indeed is taking some load of my sessions, but sure will go ahead with adding more RAM. (thx @n.tesla)

Meanwhile my stop-codes are pilling up and quite hard to figure out why as it's never the same code/error. (maybe it's the OC)

I can add these 4 to the list:
  1. Process has locked pages
  2. AFD.sys
  3. Unexpected Store Exception
  4. Critical process died
There's several standard kits of 2x32gb which should work fine. 128gb is not doable with conventional boards, you need either registered or load reduced ram to have 64gb modules with current DDR4 density.

If you're up to a board upgrade there's an Asrock Rack ITX board with 4 sodimm slots, that one can handle 128gb. It's pretty expensive but if it makes you money it may make sense to you.

Thx, good to know, ill stick to 64GB then.

It's only been a year and a half or so since I build this system and I'm not into a mobo and/or CPU upgrade right now. It's suppose to generate my income indeed but Ive been in lockdown since march and not a penny coming through the door so to speak...

Cheers