Memory Wow, Newegg Ram just jumped in price

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
was looking at this ram today to buy, and it was $269 and now it jumped $25 the fuck?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
They've been calling for a 30% jump in RAM prices for a while now. Technically it needs to go up another 50 bucks to reach that price point. I might pull the trigger ASAP.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
There's a memory shortage. Supposedly most of the production is earmarked for cell phones.

Maaan if only most people are like me, changing smartphone only when it's broken (which, in my case, usually around 4 years).

Bruman

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
Just looking now, RAM I looked at just last month is up 20% or so, which is a LOT when looking at 2x16GB sticks. Hell, it's up 100% since SEPTEMBER LAST YEAR. That's crazy!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Most of the shortage is artificially created. Most industries the players would expand the production to out compete each other. However since the cost to entry is pretty much impossible for a new player, they decided to not increase production.

This is causing a shortage because more compute devices are being sold, as well as the move away from hard disk storage.

Nothing we can do unless there is real evidence of collusion. This is not the first time this has happened. Korea has pulled this shit before and will continue to do so unless there is a new player.

Reactions: Kmpkt and Curiosity

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Was on the phone with Newegg they wouldn’t give me the previous price but got on Facebook messenger and they gave it to me

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I have a feeling I'll be using my two DDR4 kits for the next few years. RAM prices are getting out of hand. Find myself wishing I'd bought a few dozen kits of RAM last year. Would have made for a tidy flip.