Which SFF case should I buy? (performance,temps,dB,price)

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
I'm want to build a new PC and it has to be small enough so that I can bring it on the train when I move between my hometown and where I study. I move in between just a few times per year, maybe just over the winter and summer vacations, but still!
I also really like building small and efficient.

I have previously owned a NODE 202. I liked building in it but it was still a bit hard to fit in my suitcase and was not "big enough" to have my carrying it in a bag. It was somehow in between in sizes. I usually move between cities with several suitcases so if I could fit the case in my suitcase it would be great but I COULD get an additional bag for it.
I have a monitor in both cities so I dont have to worry about that.

Dan Case V3
+Small
+Looks awesome
+Very portable because of it's size
-Expensive
-High temperatures?
-High Noise level

Kolink Rocket
Basically the same case as Dan but cheaper?

Ghost S1
+Small
+Looks awesome
+Very portable because of it's size
+Room for more cooling than DAN Case?
-Expensive
-Not released yet and will probably be hard to buy even when released

N-Case
+Still pretty small
+Looks cool
+Maybe better airflow and cooling?
-A bit bigger than the others
-Expensive

Now I these are just examples. Please give me more great options.

I would like to have a GTX 1070 (or next gen 1170), i5 cpu, 16 gb ram, 1 SSD (maybe an 2,5" HDD if there is space for one), SFX Power Supply.
I have never done watercooling before but since I love to BUILD the PC I could probably try if it would give me a good performance boost.
However I have never overclocked either so maybe watercooling is to much?

I'm just a bit confused cause some people tell me that the thermals in small cases like DAN CASE is HORRIBLE and that the nooise level is extremely high because of the fans having to work so hard.
But when I look at some videos online they say it's no problem so I don't know what to believe.

I know people on the forum have great experience so I hope maybe someone can help me out!

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
May I just say that first of all set a budget for the system. It will guide you and everyone else suggestions.

SFF builds need a bit of research beforehand and usually throwing parts together just don't work as expected just by putting them together.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Well.. there are actually smaller options. Both Lazer3D LZ7 and CCD MI-6 still offers nice cooling capability but not that smaller than Dan's case still at about 6.5-7 liters.

If you don't bother using Flex ATX psu then you may go for the ultimate tiny cases like Custom MOD Flex Mini, or I'm going to build my next system into Gallon 3D printed case packs everything smaller than 4 liters;

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/gallon-pc-3d-printable-4l-gaming-case.3641/

For the last 2 cases, I recommend using 65w tdp cpu, not more.

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
May I just say that first of all set a budget for the system. It will guide you and everyone else suggestions.

SFF builds need a bit of research beforehand and usually throwing parts together just don't work as expected just by putting them together.
I mentioned most of the parts that I wanted inside my build. When mentioning i5 cpu I mean the latest version from Intel I just didn' hhave the time to check out the model number I think it is 7600?

Anyway I know what these cases cost and I can afford it but I don't mind spending less of course!

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Well.. there are actually smaller options. Both Lazer3D LZ7 and CCD MI-6 still offers nice cooling capability but not that smaller than Dan's case still at about 6.5-7 liters.

If you don't bother using Flex ATX psu then you may go for the ultimate tiny cases like Custom MOD Flex Mini, or I'm going to build my next system into Gallon 3D printed case packs everything smaller than 4 liters;

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/gallon-pc-3d-printable-4l-gaming-case.3641/

For the last 2 cases, I recommend using 65w tdp cpu, not more.
Isn't it unwise to cramp the components into an even smaller space if thermals are bad in small cases like Dan case?

I don't own a 3d printer and I have no idea where to get things like this done where I live.

The only case easily available where I live now is the Kolink Rocket which is a cheaper copy of the Dan Case

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Kolink is bigger than Dan's case at about 10 liters. For 3D printing, I don't have any either so you can see the nearest printers on https://www.3dhubs.com

I ordered my case to be printed there and waiting for it now.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Have you looked at the Modivio xCases? He has several different sizes with the largest supporting SFX and 70mm CPU coolers, prices are lower than the Dan, Ghost, Ncase.

Reactions: Jello

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Thermals are not bad in the DAN A4 - provided that your expectations are reasonable. I run a 65w KBL i5 and an open 1060 without issue with a SF450 all on air.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
People only have temp issues with the A4 when using and/or OCing the hell out of a chip that's way too hot for any cooling solution compatible with the case.