Which of these 2 GPU is better for the Ncase

bleed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
www.artbleed.com
Hi everyone! In need of some expert help again.

Been trying to get my head around all the GPUs lately to fit into my Ncase.

I've narrowed it down to the EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC GAMING but not sure if I should get the Ultra version.

So basically -
Ultra version - 2.75 slot card
Normal version - 2 slot card (but will add two fans on the bottom of the case).

Which one will perform better in the Ncase. I did read that having fans at the bottom is good.

Thanks!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
If it were me, I would use the 2-slot card.
First off, XC Gaming and XC Ultra have the same spec except the latter has a beefier heatsink. I expect Gaming's cooling is already good enough. So, it is more like a 'cool Gaming vs cooler Ultra' comparison rather than a 'hot Gaming vs cool Ultra'. Gaming framerate wise, both cards will probably give the same result, while the latter is just cooler as its thicker heatsink will probably dissipate heat better than the Gaming's.

But, 2-slot card can allow two 25mm fans at case bottom while the 2.75 card cannot. I reckon the cool air drawn in by these 2 case fans will not only benefit the display card but also send 'unused' ambient air to the rest of the case, thus benefiting other hardware components.

In other words, if you consider just the card alone, 2.75 slot card should be better thermal-wise (not framerate wise).
But, if you consider the entire system, 2.0 slot card plus dual 25mm intake fans should be better.

Reactions: bleed

bleed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
www.artbleed.com
Thanks so much for the clear suggestion! I think ill go with the 2-slot as it gives me most flexibility! Really appreciate the reply, thanks! Happy New Year!

ctrl.alt.del

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 1, 2020
If it were me, I would use the 2-slot card.
First off, XC Gaming and XC Ultra have the same spec except the latter has a beefier heatsink. I expect Gaming's cooling is already good enough. So, it is more like a 'cool Gaming vs cooler Ultra' comparison rather than a 'hot Gaming vs cool Ultra'. Gaming framerate wise, both cards will probably give the same result, while the latter is just cooler as its thicker heatsink will probably dissipate heat better than the Gaming's.

But, 2-slot card can allow two 25mm fans at case bottom while the 2.75 card cannot. I reckon the cool air drawn in by these 2 case fans will not only benefit the display card but also send 'unused' ambient air to the rest of the case, thus benefiting other hardware components.

In other words, if you consider just the card alone, 2.75 slot card should be better thermal-wise (not framerate wise).
But, if you consider the entire system, 2.0 slot card plus dual 25mm intake fans should be better.
I've also been wondering this, in particular whether the bottom intake fans would fit on the Ultra version of the EVGA gpu. So thanks for clearing that up

That being said...
Thanks so much for the clear suggestion! I think ill go with the 2-slot as it gives me most flexibility! Really appreciate the reply, thanks! Happy New Year!
I noticed the Ultra version was on sale (not anymore), but I'm hoping for the Gaming one to go on sale too.

bleed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
www.artbleed.com
So just wanted to give an update -

So I ended up getting the SUPER XC GAMING (2 slot).
Massive thanks to tinyitx with the help, since i think it was totally the right decision.

In the Ncase, you need that extra bit of air flow for the overall case esp to maintain the 3950x.
Thanks!

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
So just wanted to give an update -

So I ended up getting the SUPER XC GAMING (2 slot).
Massive thanks to tinyitx with the help, since i think it was totally the right decision.

In the Ncase, you need that extra bit of air flow for the overall case esp to maintain the 3950x.
Thanks!
You are welcome.

How about posting some pics to show off your beautiful build so that we can all admire?

bleed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
www.artbleed.com
How about posting some pics to show off your beautiful build so that we can all admire?
Haha! Its nothing special since its pretty much the same as Optimum Tech's, but maybe when work dies down :)

I noticed the Ultra version was on sale (not anymore), but I'm hoping for the Gaming one to go on sale too.
Hey! Im assuming that you are from Aus - the Gaming one just went on sale today for $849 at Scorptec!
Sorry, i must be blind. Its the Ultra one, not the 2 slot one haha

Last edited:

ctrl.alt.del

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 1, 2020
Hey! Im assuming that you are from Aus - the Gaming one just went on sale today for $849 at Scorptec!
Sorry, i must be blind. Its the Ultra one, not the 2 slot one haha

Haha, yeah saw this. And I'm still contemplating getting it.

My main concern is the coil whine reports which some are saying is unbearably loud (on both the Gaming and Ultra).

My thinking process is to bite the bullet with the Gaming version (which atm is $50 more considering the Scorptec sale), and buy bottom mounted fans. Unsure if this actually solves the issue. But this would also add a considerable amount to the ending price.

Whereas buying the Ultra version would mean I would just have to deal with it, since bottom mounted fans can't fit with this 2.75 slot model.

So I guess my question is, is it worth going the Gaming option route? Is the coil whine really that bad?
I should note that I don't use headphones for gaming, and rely mostly on desktop speakers.

whisky

Case Bender
Jan 14, 2020
Just as a FYI - I believe you can fit slim fans under the Ultra if I'm not mistaken. You may or not have to take the shroud off, but I've seen other posts with the Ultra and fans under it.

bleed

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 23, 2019
www.artbleed.com
Haha, yeah saw this. And I'm still contemplating getting it.

My main concern is the coil whine reports which some are saying is unbearably loud (on both the Gaming and Ultra).

My thinking process is to bite the bullet with the Gaming version (which atm is $50 more considering the Scorptec sale), and buy bottom mounted fans. Unsure if this actually solves the issue. But this would also add a considerable amount to the ending price.

Whereas buying the Ultra version would mean I would just have to deal with it, since bottom mounted fans can't fit with this 2.75 slot model.

So I guess my question is, is it worth going the Gaming option route? Is the coil whine really that bad?
I should note that I don't use headphones for gaming, and rely mostly on desktop speakers.

Sorry for the slow reply - work has been crazy~
I honestly cant speak for everyone, but i can barely hear a coil whine. I think my kraken pump is probably more audible than the gpu. That said, i could be lucky or just my hearing is bad. lol
If it helps, i bought the gpu from newegg for $609usd ($860aud). My temps at idle are: CPU 60degrees, GPU 45degrees.
I would also say i am happy with the 2slot vs the 2.75slot since it felt better having a bit more space inside such a tight case (cable management etc). Also, i have to carry my computer back and forth from work everyday, so im assuming its a little bit lighter. Finally, i think it gives more more flexibility for the future incase i need to change to another case. I think 2 slots are more compatible vs 2.75 slot.

That said, as what @whisky said, i did read that you can fit slim fans under a 2.75 slot gpu. :)

Let me know if i can help in any other way! :D