Motherboard Which B450 ITX?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I am seriously breaking my own rule of only buying used and jumping into the Ryzen Camp.

I started out looking at the Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac, but it seemed to compare less favourably than the MSI B450i Gaming Plus ac, particularly on the VRM front, despite lacking Intel Gigabit Ethernet.

Both these boards are available at a similar price of around 120 GBP in the UK, so there's no financial weight to the decision.

I'd initially disregarded the Asus Strix B450i Gaming, as it's over budget.

However, I found it available today at 140 GBP, cheaper than I've seen elsewhere. An additional 20 GBP would bring a much welcome 2nd M.2 slot for example.

I'll be going inexpensive Ryzen for starters, used lower end 2x00 or 3100 as I have an i5 8400 6 core for photo editing and video crunching. I can't see an 8 core in there any time soon.

What are your experiences with B450 ITX?

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I've been happy with my Asrock B450. I think people's obsession with having the biggest, baddest, bestest VRAM is blown way out of proportion.

I got the ASRock because it seemed to have the best mix of features I wanted (USB-C in particular) at the lowest price point.

I did have some issues that I think stemmed from the BIOS battery, but the RMA process from ASRock was straight forward and the new board has been perfect.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks @smitty2k1, that's a good an balanced appraisal.

I asked the same on Bit-Tech, and there were a couple of happy B450i Aorus owners saying theirs were fine and not overheating. They liked the top M.2 and good looks too.

I initially was keen on the ASRock, but wanted to see how they fared and what other people made of the other options.

On B-T I've had votes for all 4 main B450i options - ASRock, Asus, Gigabyte and MSi.

It sounds like some early glitchy stuff on ASRock has been sorted with updates, which is good news.