What's going on with this S4 mini skin ft. thin blue line flag :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teebs

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
I was dissapointed to see this on NFC website, and was wondering if @Josh | NFC is cognizant of this design being on the promo reel, and its implications as an anti-Black, nationalist political symbol.

Reactions: Vir

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hello everyone. Someone kindly let me know on the Discord about this thread this afternoon which I appreciate.

Unfortunately I was not contacted privately to my knowledge asking for any clarification or pointing out they were offended by something in my store. This to me hurts because it seems people would rather drag me into controversy and SFF into politics rather than taking the time to reach out.

I don't think my thoughts and opinions matter much and spend my life trying to contribute deeds rather than words. Sometimes, words are necessary and can help heal so here it goes:

• I oppose racism in every form, including white supremacy and white nationalism.
  • I have no problem saying black lives matter.
  • I oppose the division and partisanship in politics and hope for unity in our country.
  • I support all movements and efforts to ensure ethical, transparent, and effective policing.
  • I support all movements and efforts to remove corruption, racism, violence, and abuse in law enforcement.
Specifically to the "Thin Blue Line" SkySkin in question:
  • I was not "cognizant" (good word choice for this!) of it being on the website. I had to actually go and watch the slides until the video came on.
  • This video was outsourced using stock footage (which is why it is so cheesy) to have something promote the SkySkin partnership.
  • This skin or any skin or product in my store is not intended to be political or have any kind of political statement.
  • I have had one complaint about this SkySkin before in a private message. I could tell the individual was very hurt through how they interpreted this symbol and out of respect for them and people like them I removed this SkySkin from the store. I have _zero_ fear of cancel culture but I _love_ people and am happy to work with them to make them feel loved and included.
The "Thin Blue Line" as a symbol:
  • To my knowledge, the "Thin Blue Line" is an established symbol going back decades that tributes police officers fallen in the line of duty.
  • It is worn or flown as a sign of respect and mourning by families of fallen police officers.
  • Protect and Serve is the _ideal_ just as Life, Liberty and Equal Opportunity are the ideals of the American Flag.
  • The person who designed this skin holds these views as well and in no way intended it to be a political statement.
I believe strongly in reaching for ideals which is why my company is called "Skyreach"

Unfortunately evil men twist and warp positive ideals and symbols to their own end, which is further exacerbated by the fact symbols are interpretive by nature. I suggest viewing the symbol through the eyes of the person waving it rather than judging the person based on the motives of an unrelated bad actor.

I am grateful to the men and women who have given their lives in the line of duty on behalf of the people they have sworn to project and serve, just as I denounce those who break their oath and abuse their power.

I'll end with stressing that I am not telling anyone how to view or interpret this design. I am simply sharing my personal views. If you can't accept what I am writing as truth I can't do anything about that. I just wish everyone peace, which is how I end nearly every email, video, and conversation.

So peace to you all. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.