What would happen if non-conventional manufacturers made cases?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
LOL POLL:
What do you think is the most durable laptop/desktop available? Custom partslists allowed!
Also: Which laptop do you think I drool over the most? (Hint: It's not Apple or HP or Acer or ASUS)(Another hint: There are multiple, but if you guess the product line, you win credo!)(Another another hint: I enjoy some Chinese brands very much... My fitness tracker is doing very well for a $30 device from GearBest... The logo also appeals to me, with simple text and orange/white design. They somehow manage to earn a ton of ILF design awards also...)

[mind reading mode] Xiaomi [/mind reading mode]

Reactions: el01

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017

Thermaltake Level 10 GT was also designed by BMW desingworks. Oh boy, I got this one long ago when Sandy bridges are coming around. The case only weights 12.7 kg..

Reactions: owliwar

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
How about if BMW designed a case?

Witness the glory that is the Corsair Bulldog:

No joke, this is a BMW Designworks design.*

*Technically a wholly-owned subsidiary of BMW
Oh damn ! TIL.

As @ondert said, there has been better design by BMW in the case space as well.

I personally like the Level 10 (non-GT) much more as it is less of a traditional looking case:

A lot of aluminium.

Reactions: owliwar and tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Oh damn ! TIL.

As @ondert said, there has been better design by BMW in the case space as well.

I personally like the Level 10 (non-GT) much more as it is less of a traditional looking case:

A lot of aluminium.
Size wise, this is a BMW 7-series. I wonder what an 1-series case looks like.

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
Yup
Did it in 2 minutes with Kolourpaint (Linux equivalent of MsPaint).

The BullFrog would have been a better name than Bulldog XD
I use InkScape for my troubles :(

Size wise, this is a BMW 7-series. I wonder what an 1-series case looks like.
The Level 20 VT?

Imagine this:
Volvo and Fractal Design make a SFF case... With Noctua fans, Cherry MX switches (power button), DerBauer helping, and be quiet! producing the sound dampening material

ANOTHER DAILY DOSE OF INSANITY:
The new Lenovo ThinkPad-edition Workstation Computer Case (P9001)
  • Reinforced Magnesium construction with plastic coating
  • Power button rated for multiple millions of clicks
  • ThinkPlug (terrible name) USB ports that check input/output data for security
  • ThinkFan advanced fan controller built in with 10 ports and PWM control. No RGB. Fits into any 2.5" bay
  • ThinkBay advanced storage bays (10 3.5" bays with modular removable design [like Define R6, but even more modular])
  • ThinkBay advanced adapters: Optional RAID control on any of the bays when 2x 2.5" drives are used to replace the 3.5" drives
  • Completely toolless assembly inside case: power supply is held in by slim thumbscrews (thinner), motherboard (ATX assumed) is mounted on 5 pegs and 4 compact thumbscrews (taller vertically, but decreased diameter of head)
  • ThinkVantage (I THINK XD???) fingerprint sensor on front I/O
  • High-airflow design accommodating up to 9 fans stock (1 in back, 4 up top, 4 up front)
  • 14-year warranty
  • Legendary ThinkPad-grade durability, reliability, endurance, quality, and support (with free case parts without proof of purchase)
  • Full-Color 500-page installation manual covering all motherboard sizes, all socket modifications (as in AM3 to AM4 is not one, but LGA775 to LGA1156 is one), all potential add-in cards, etc.
  • Included USB drive for ThinkPlug drivers , ThinkFan optional software (assuming a spare internal USB2 port) and ThinkPad wallpapers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If Apple made some console style cases, they would probably look like G-Technology rack NAS storage.

Here's a more compact enclosure that would be nice for some basic builds with integrated graphics.

It would be a fun project to gut one of those NAS enclosures for a very SFF PC in it, but they usually come with big hard drives bringing up the price (you'll just have to sell the HDD if you don't need it).

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
this post rememberd me that once in college I had to design a perfume bottle with the style of some company, and I choose bequiet! at the time.
it was in my seccond year and now looking at it it was not that good but here that is.
my whole concept was a perfume bottle with padding in the lid and a ''silent'' spray actuator

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
this post rememberd me that once in college I had to design a perfume bottle with the style of some company, and I choose bequiet! at the time.
it was in my seccond year and now looking at it it was not that good but here that is.
my whole concept was a perfume bottle with padding in the lid and a ''silent'' spray actuator
OMFG YES

If Apple made some console style cases, they would probably look like G-Technology rack NAS storage.

Here's a more compact enclosure that would be nice for some basic builds with integrated graphics.

It would be a fun project to gut one of those NAS enclosures for a very SFF PC in it, but they usually come with big hard drives bringing up the price (you'll just have to sell the HDD if you don't need it).
I think it would look like the Apple servers. Although it would also look like the Mac Pro 2012... I wish someone made a PC spoof of that thing

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
I have an idea guys... (cheesy intro time)
Forget drooling over cases that cost too much for you to buy and being sad at others who show off their SFF builds. Now, there is a case that is (technically) free for all to use. The CommuCase (Communist Case). It is not your design or my design, but the collective's design. Instead of centralized hubs of manufacturing and creation of cases, now anyone with materials can build their own compact and affordable SFF chassis!

Context:
I have limited funds as a college student living in an expensive part of the U.S, and I wish that I could pay for premium cases like the NCase M1 or the S4M, but it simply isn't feasible to me. Many others may feel the same way, counting their coins and wishing that they could appease the SFF gods somehow. If a case was decentralized and designs were distributed among the people, along with open-source documentation being provided, many more people could join the SFF PCMR.

This is also based on my goals to hopefully start a small design firm (named efficiency laboratories for all you wonderers) in the future specializing in creating functional designs and efficiency (key point) in all parts of business, from paying employees to selling items. One major part would be Open Source HardWare (OSHW.) This program would enable smaller firms (like my dream one) to focus less on scrambling resources for fabrication areas, but rather to focus more on the design, instead relying on the community to spread the design and add feedback.

Essentially, my plan is for NCase, Chimera, NFC, etc. to allow the collective to make a kind of "less premium" version of their cases that can be cut using a laser cutter and acrylic. It would be stripped down and an "inferior" product compared to the all-aluminium construction of the premium SFF cases, but would still get the job done for most people. It would also encourage constructive discussion in the SFF community about case design and space optimization.

You may be asking "Why would anyone want to do this? They would earn less money and get less business!" My hypothetical goal is to have parts kits available online for people who don't have laser cutters near them to buy (for reasonable prices, of course) and to commission off the profits to the creators, where money is either used to pay creators or to fund the material costs (running website, cutting acrylic, etc.) This is also beneficial: Many builders have no interest in SFF due to the high prices, but bringing them in could help generate profit in the long run (we all know how things are with enthusiasts: if they like it, they will insist on it). Additional profits can be made selling things that are more difficult to fabricate, such as mounting mechanisms and front panel I/O boards.

The overarching goal is to allow SFF to become a larger and more prominent force in the case industry through licencing of limited designs to other brands, decentralizing the fabrication and design process to allow more people to take part, and to give more aspiring enthusiasts a voice.

Anyone want to sign on??? Because imma go and start figuring out how to open source the Lazer3D LZ7! (similar layout, different exterior design)

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Should I start posting about this? Or is it another of my terrible suicidal ideas?

Thanks!
-el01

Reactions: neovintage

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I have an idea guys... (cheesy intro time)
Forget drooling over cases that cost too much for you to buy and being sad at others who show off their SFF builds. Now, there is a case that is (technically) free for all to use. The CommuCase (Communist Case). It is not your design or my design, but the collective's design. Instead of centralized hubs of manufacturing and creation of cases, now anyone with materials can build their own compact and affordable SFF chassis!

You mean like a case on github thats open source and 3d printable that anyone can fork and tweak and so on so forth?
https://github.com/cokeeffekt/yasff

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
You mean like a case on github thats open source and 3d printable that anyone can fork and tweak and so on so forth?
https://github.com/cokeeffekt/yasff
Essentially, but with more options and more widely promoted. From what I've seen (which is admittedly limited), that's basically the only case that I've seen online with such an ability. If you could send me more, that would be much appreciated. However, more manufacturer participation is what I'm calling for, focusing less on individual designs and more on producing things as a collective.

Either way, I wish that companies such as GEEEK (yes, correct spelling) and Lazer3D made their designs available to the public, or that a group of experienced small form factor designers could come up with multiple cases for the community to use.

This idea, as with any other collective idea (bitcoin, etc.) will most likely either not gain support or be relatively "lame" or already exist or succeed and then crash and burn, so to speak. I am not confident in the direction of such a project, but I will attempt to make such a project possible through all reasonable memes. Convincing manufacturers to allow open development of their files will be a challenge, but if I can get more people to support me (such as SFF Forum users), then hopefully wider influence can be acheived.

The success of this idea can be based mostly on the tendency for me to start projects and then ignore them, and on the idealism of such an impossible task. Therefore, I am "planting the seed", so to speak, for others to continue on with. I know, I am the worst type of forum user (never searching things up beforehand, commenting in a very non-professional manner, and seeking out attention too hard) and probably the most idealist computer enthusiast out there, but I hope someone finds agreement with this project.

The only reason why I need other people is to help with designing things: I have very limited experience with CAD in general, and many design decisions of mine are feasible for smaller projects, but uneconomical for larger ones.

Sorry for rambling onwards for a long time, it just shows how much of a shrink I really am.
(do not try to raise my self esteem, it's there, it's just that I prefer not to show it: I am not the most knowledgeable person in the world, and I am aware of that, and I do not try to say that I am.)

On a happier note, here is the daily dose of insanity for Sunday, June 17, 2018 (at least in the U.S.)
The Xiaomi Mi Case One
  • 4mm thick aluminium design
  • Micro-grooved power button like on the Xiaomi Mi Band
  • 2 front USB 3 ports plus USB-C
  • Durable slide-off aluminium design: the top and 2 sides of the case are one bent piece of aluminium for durability and aesthetics
  • Sides each accomodate 1 slim 120/140mm fan except for front and bottom and rear.
  • Fan controller built into the top slide-off
  • Custom ultra-low profile short-cable fans included (3)
  • Rear supports 2.5 slot cards up to 170 mm in length
  • Xiaomi DC-DC 600W power supply included, or use a SFX power supply
  • Use of Xiaomi 600W PSU allows for 2 3.5" drives or 4 2.5" drives
  • Premium white LEDs for all light-up portions
  • Optional Tempered Glass edition with glass on 2 sides of the case, no fans there.
  • Logo-free
  • Starting at $100

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
SpaceX case: 3D printed out of Inconel (or the new SX400 superalloy Musk hinted at) and coated in PICA-X, with triple-redundant mounting points for internal components. Occasionally fails to boot due to Helium issues.

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
SpaceX case: 3D printed out of Inconel (or the new SX400 superalloy Musk hinted at) and coated in PICA-X, with triple-redundant mounting points for internal components. Occasionally fails to boot due to Helium issues.
Also eternally behind schedule :(

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
MORE insanity:

The Delta Cooling Ceiling fan:
100dbA, BUT 10,000 CFM movement.

Seriously, though...
The Apple "gaming" PC
  • Requires a proprietary Apple motherboard "smaller" than ITX
  • Requires proprietary 60W PSU
  • 8GB/16GB of soldered RAM
  • 256/512GB of soldered flash storage
  • Intel "APU" soldered on
  • Proprietary cooling solution with 100 rivets holding the 10mm thick copper slab on the CPU
  • Will thermal throttle while using any non-Apple software
  • Butterfly-switch-style power button
  • Only Thunderbolt 3 ports that only work with Apple products
  • Guaranteed to break 1 year after warranty expires.

Reactions: Obelisk