Storage What is the best HDD for archiving music or backups?

aneker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
Anyone with experience in the different brands and models available on the market who can help you choose?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There is no better suited brand or model for that, storage is complex but the kind of file doesn't matter when using standard file systems. The only way there's a difference is in lots of tiny (xKB) files, when it's atleast megabytes per file, it doesn't matter meaningfully. I recommend business/enterprise class drives and avoid SMR drives at all costs as it destroys write speeds and are less reliable.

What's your storage strategy now and what are you planning ? I recommend adhering to the 3-2-1 rule.
If you are just storing your music on a single storage device right now, I recommend atleast two identical HDDs that will allow enough storage for today and in 5 years. Put them in RAID-1 so when one fails, you don't lose all your music. Then set up a cloud sync, like Backblaze B2. Or set up a NAS at a different location, but that becomes quite intensive.

That way you have your 3 copies (original location, the HDD's in RAID-1, the cloud storage), in 2 locations (your PC and cloud) and one off-site (cloud).

Reactions: aneker

aneker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
Thank you for your help.
I no longer remembered the difference in technology between SMR and CMR that seems to be important.

I recently read this news about the different brands:

“A report from backup company Backblaze revealed that the most reliable hard drives on the market today are those from the Japanese multinational, Hitachi. Close behind are Western Digital drivers and lastly, with many failures throughout their useful life, come Seagate hard drives.”

To what extent is this true and to what extent can a brand model influence this graph.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That article is 10.5 years old, geaturing drives that aren't made or used anymore, you'll find the most recent info on Backblaze's own website: link

From that link you'll realize it's not "unreliable" brands but models that have issues. As seemingly all brands have reliable drives and less reliable ones.
There's a lot of data, so just look for drives that are available to you, suit your needs and have a good price/GB ratio. Then, look up their reliability numbers (lifetime AFR = Average Failure Rate):

With detailed data like this that can be interpreted in many ways, don't make incorrect conclusions.
Backblaze uses a lot of different Seagate drives, from different series and with some models around 10 years of use (averaged over all drives from that model, these aren't all bought at the same time).
From this graph most people would think the most reliable brand is WDC but the average lifetime of those is in between a few months and 3 years, while some others have been almost a decade in use.