What is SFF?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Something like this 'Quadrilateral' might more accurately define what SFF is.
When the area of this 4-sided polygon reaches a certain score, then it is a SFF?
I came up with this in a minute. Maybe someone can improve on it? (Compactness = space efficiency)

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Something like this 'Quadrilateral' might more accurately define what SFF is.
When the area of this 4-sided polygon reaches a certain score, then it is a SFF?
I came up with this in a minute. Maybe someone can improve on it? (Compactness = space efficiency)
If you nix sound and combine compactness + volume we wind up with a nice line that pretty accurately shows what you get when building a sff rig :[

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
You're forgetting that some hardware, like threadripper, has no ITX compatibility.

Yes, the Cerebrus is big, but for some, It's the only SFF option. I would call anything under 5L USFF (ultra small form factor) and anything under 2L SDUSFF (super-duper ultra small form factor)
Yeah that Why I Wrote efficient. If TR build is only possible in a 18L Cerberus, it‘s Quite SFF. Build of you build your S4Mini components from your 5L build into a 18L cerberus, i wouldn‘t call that SFF, because it‘s Not efficient though it‘s under 20L...

I Hope that Makes it clear.
Doing a SFF build should be a competition.

Reactions: Questors

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
Yes, it's crystal clear now. As Confusis stated, there are some varying ideas even within the SFF "community." I see similar difference among hot rodders and supercar enthusiasts about what makes either what they are.

What is boils down to is less than 20 liters and a full load, as it were. A Thanksgiving turkey under 20 liters and stuffed is a SFF. Interesting.

I have Lian Li full tower case from a bunch of years back. I tore it all apart with the idea of reducing it to Micro-ATX size, if possible and stuffing it with a build based on the Micro-ATX sized MB. I now have a more defined set of parameters from which to work.

Now,where did I put my Dremel?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
personally I'm of the school of thought that follows Intel's initial SFF definition of 20L and below. anything regarding space efficiency would be considered separately (imagine an M1 with an APU-only system ._.)

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
<20L PC.
Space efficiency as a definition is only good for a single forum of something niche of a niche of a niche. It evolves too fast and the efficiency part is mainly tied to what kind of imaginary things people have in their heads. Troublesome and too open for dispute.

Last edited:

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I still don’t care for the density arguments. Think about compact cars. 1 person in a smart car and it’s considered a compact car. Jam 20 people in a suv, and it’s still an SUV, not a compact car. Why are cases any different? Look at the supercomputers with racks and racks of GPUs, much denser than even a Dan a4 or nfc s4m.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
I still don’t care for the density arguments. Think about compact cars. 1 person in a smart car and it’s considered a compact car. Jam 20 people in a suv, and it’s still an SUV, not a compact car. Why are cases any different? Look at the supercomputers with racks and racks of GPUs, much denser than even a Dan a4 or nfc s4m.

This is true.

boingk

Caliper Novice
Feb 10, 2019
Efficiency of design with an emphasis on compactness. All other considerations are secondary, except performance.

If you can shoehorn a multicore monster into a tiny case, add a proper GPU, and still fit the thing behind your monitor... you're probably in the SFF club.

- boingk

Last edited:

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Designs coming out into the mainstream consumer market, like the Phanteks Evolve ITX. A tiny footprint and nice, compact, stacked design coupled with great industrial looks and solid build quality

/banter

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I concur. Density is not an important factor. Small form refers much to the size of the chassis.

Reactions: loader963