What do you want in a GPU review?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm thinking of getting a GTX 1060 in the near future for a project but I'll probably review it for the site as well.

What do you all want to see in a review?

I'm thinking that exhaustive performance testing isn't really necessary for this audience since there a dozens and dozens of sites testing GPUs with various games and synthetic benchmarks. I figure you all would be more interested in detailed physical measurements, power consumption, etc.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If you have a flatbed scanner available, that can give good dimensioned images of the PCB and front of the shroud layout with a ruler laid alongside the GPU.

For testing, most review sites test on an open testbench, so restricted airflow testing would be valuable. A 'fair worst case' test could be with a mesh filter placed direct over the top of the card (to simulate being close to a restricted case grille) and the 'sides' left open but without active ventilation.

Reactions: veryrarium

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you have a flatbed scanner available, that can give good dimensioned images of the PCB and front of the shroud layout with a ruler laid alongside the GPU.

That's a neat idea. My primary lens has extremely low distortion but getting the camera lined up perpendicular to the card is tricky sometimes, a scanner would fix that. I don't have one though but sometimes people drop off old ones at work so I'll snag the next working one that comes through if it isn't ancient.

can you do a review of the amd rx 460 when it comes out??

If I can get a review sample I could. I don't personally have any interest in spending my own money for one.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just was thinking that it might be a good idea for GPU reviews to look at say certain percentages of over or under clock of each card reviewed and how that affects consumption of power. Again, in the SFF community we are often going to be dealing with some level of constraint with power delivery. Knowing how efficiently we can maximize performance per watt would be pretty useful in my mind.