What do you want in a motherboard review?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Some brain farts:
- attention to height parameters of heatsinks and other various things, maybe according to the I/O backplate. Generally not an issue, unless Asus and Z-chipsets, but who knows what might come up.
- photos of placement of power connectors (24-pin and 4 or 8-pin) and fan-headers
- fan-headers: true PWM 0-100% or just voltage regulated
- distance CPU socket from I/O and (first) PCIe socket to calculate heatsink placement
- attention to general CPU keep-out-zone for issues with blocks that have side inlets
- mention of useful BIOS settings like good fan control or refined OC settings, CPU-less BIOS recovery and potential RAM incompatibility issues
- skip the CPU/GPU performance benchmarks, it's 90% time wasted on 1-3% variations
- quality or atleast photos of power delivery components
- your usual detective work that uncovers deep secrets

Reactions: iFreilicht

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For dimensions, would something like The Tech Report's motherboard reviews work? http://techreport.com/review/29346/gigabyte-z170x-gaming-g1-motherboard-reviewed

attention to general CPU keep-out-zone for issues with blocks that have side inlets

Hmm, maybe I should get a 3D printed keep-out zone to quickly check boards against.

skip the CPU/GPU performance benchmarks, it's 90% time wasted on 1-3% variations

Agree. I'll probably run 1 or 2 as a sanity check but extensive performance testing seems pointless since there's so little variation. A most of the variation is because some boards run the CPU at slightly higher clocks than they're supposed to.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd be keen to know power consumption numbers (I know that AsRock ITX boards tend to be the best over the past couple of generations), as when you're trying to work within the constraints of AC-DC units, every spare watt counts.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
For dimensions, would something like The Tech Report's motherboard reviews work? http://techreport.com/review/29346/gigabyte-z170x-gaming-g1-motherboard-reviewed
That would be excellent !

Hmm, maybe I should get a 3D printed keep-out zone to quickly check boards against.
That would be very awesome ! Maybe make it into different parts so if you find a difficult board, you can show how it does not fit heatsinks or blocks according to "keep-out-zone A" but will fit those according to "B".

Something like a blocky Matroyskha nesting dolls.

Agree. I'll probably run 1 or 2 as a sanity check but extensive performance testing seems pointless since there's so little variation. A most of the variation is because some boards run the CPU at slightly higher clocks than they're supposed to.
Indeed, it's such a waste nowadays that so much is done on the CPU and PCH which are alli supplied by Intel and AMD anyway. It used to be different when there were NForce, VIA and other chipsets. The only things that you could measure is I/O performance, sound performance (quality), USB performance, DPC latency (if that still matters) and network performance, but those put together require quite a bit of time.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
  • Sata performance
  • Network performance
  • CPU keepout zone (especially for 1U style heatsink)
  • Fan headers (quantity, PWM)
  • ATX and EPS connectors placement
  • CPU less bios with flash from USB feature
  • Ecology (over packaging, recycled materials, etc)

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015

Wait? There might actually be a use for those keep-out zones I modeled? XD
If you are considering to go that route, perhaps consider doing the same for CPU coolers, since those can have the same problems.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Wait? There might actually be a use for those keep-out zones I modeled?

Just need to make a cutout for the CPU socket and then it's off to Shapeways!

perhaps consider doing the same for CPU coolers, since those can have the same problems.

That's a good idea. Just need to find the keepout zone spec for AMD.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I looked for that, I haven't managed to find it. Perhaps email Noctua, they might be willing to send you the spec. I've seen them mention they adhere to the AMD Keep-Out zone on some of their AMD specific products.

Reactions: jeshikat

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I'd be keen to know power consumption numbers (I know that AsRock ITX boards tend to be the best over the past couple of generations), as when you're trying to work within the constraints of AC-DC units, every spare watt counts.

I'd like to see power numbers as well. If possible, standard power in a typical use case (maybe all functions default enabled with Wi-Fi and USB mouse and keyboard plugged in) and any reduced power configuration possible (disabling Wi-Fi and other things that go used).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd like to see power numbers as well. If possible, standard power in a typical use case (maybe all functions default enabled with Wi-Fi and USB mouse and keyboard plugged in) and any reduced power configuration possible (disabling Wi-Fi and other things that go used).

I can try but I don't know if my equipment is precise enough to catch the difference at idle.

I would really like to know whether the -12V rail is required for the mainboard to boot.

That's a good idea.