What are you watching ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Time to start a discussion topic about TV shows, movies, YouTube, Netflix, you get the picture. Pun intended.
Please use spoiler tags (next to Media button) for spoiler discussion about story or characters :)

I'm following a few shows right now, like Hannibal and Wayward Pines, both interest me for their higher quality storytelling and I'm very curious for both:

Hannibal: very interesting first and second season, the third started off more arty-farty than I like but it can still develop into a very nice season. Very interesting story and excellently portrayed.

Wayward Pines: only 6 episodes have been aired but it's really interesting and very nicely told. Some one-dimensional characters are being given some backstory in the last few episodes, making it much more relateable.

After two massive plot twists, this is turning into quite the story. very interesting to see this develop and I hope it doesn't stop twisting completely.

And how about X-Files reappearing for another season at the hand of Chris Carter and hopefully with most of the original cast ? I don't think I can express my happiness with words if this became something that's worthy of a final season.

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015
I recently watched Utopia; the first mini-series was featured on the Dutch Netflix. Enjoyable drama, story got to the point quickly. Although the story felt complete after 6 episodes, apparently there was a second series which I will definitely watch.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've watched the first few episodes of Humans, a promising new show involving synthetics/androids in modern society.
Also watched newer episodes from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, for ridiculous but original humor !

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just binge-watched the first season of Better Call Saul and came away happy.

Also: I don't have cable, so I'll have to wait, but the second season of Halt and Catch Fire is either already on (AMC), or will be on soon... I went through the entire first season with my dad over a long weekend, and we really loved it. But not many people know of it, so I've found myself recommending it to people :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Better Call Saul was very interesting. While it wasn't sprinkled with the epic one-liners from Breaking Bad, you can taste the underlying cake of awesome that seems very promising. With a rich story, very interesting characters and perfectly written dialogue, I can't but feel empty inside as long as I need to wait for the next season.

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015
Yeah I liked Better Call Saul too. Mainly because the actor is likeable. He was good in Fargo as well.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I'm not the biggest regular TV series fan, but man am I a sucker for anime :p

Regular TV Series
Watching

The Flash (2014)
Arrow
BattleBots (2015)

Need to watch
Season 2 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Anime
Watching/Started

Dragon Ball Super
God Eater
GATE
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma

Waiting for
Season 2 of Attack on Titan
Season 2 of Assassination Classroom

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm picky about anime, but I'm probably a cliché in what I like... I really like the Akira and the Ghost In The Shell movies, along with the new Neon Genesis Evangelion movies. I can keep watching all of these over and over.

I also loved the series of that last one, including Death Note and Soul Eater. I'm still keeping up with Naruto and I've seen DBZ ofcourse.
Netflix is also offering their own production, Knights of Sidonia, which I find remarkably good, reminiscent of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I'm picky about anime, but I'm probably a cliché in what I like... I really like the Akira and the Ghost In The Shell movies, along with the new Neon Genesis Evangelion movies. I can keep watching all of these over and over.

I also loved the series of that last one, including Death Note and Soul Eater. I'm still keeping up with Naruto and I've seen DBZ ofcourse.
Netflix is also offering their own production, Knights of Sidonia, which I find remarkably good, reminiscent of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Haven't seen Akira, but did watch Ghost in the Shell series, Neon Genesis Evangelion I watched the series, but towards the end my brain melted. Still need to have a go at the movies. Death Note was nice as well.\

2 animes I can really recommended, but they might not really be up your alley, You Lie in April, beautifull and heartbreaking :p binge watched all 22 episodes in 1 sitting :s.
And the 2nd anime is Chihayafuru.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm way behind on my chinese cartoons. Still need to finish 2nd season of Sidonia and a few others I've started.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
And here's me barely started on the first Patlabor TV series...

Cel shaded best shaded! Early 90s Golden Age of Animation! Rabble rabble rabble!

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
This always seems to happen to me apparently but often I hear of something for the first time and like 1-3 days later I get confronted with that again.
I don't have Netflix so I didn't hear about Knights of Sidonia, but lo and behold I watch the co-optional podcast and I hear from it right after hearing about it here.

Also Jesse goes on a rant about "good" animes, if you know what I mean ;).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Haven't seen Akira, but did watch Ghost in the Shell series, Neon Genesis Evangelion I watched the series, but towards the end my brain melted. Still need to have a go at the movies. Death Note was nice as well.\
You should definitely watch Akira, it's a legend and nothing has ever surpassed it (IMO) in 25 years. Ghost In The Shell comes close, that's why it's one of my favorites.
Those two are epic for cyberpunk fans, right along with the movie Blade Runner.

2 animes I can really recommended, but they might not really be up your alley, You Lie in April, beautifull and heartbreaking :p binge watched all 22 episodes in 1 sitting :s.
And the 2nd anime is Chihayafuru.
You should check out 5 centimeters per second if you like the more emotional anime. I really loved it. Another one in that spectrum mixed with some adventure is Spirited Away.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Still need to watch the original GitS movie. I love Stand Alone Complex though, I think I've watched it all the way through 3-4 times now :p

It's a bit lacking on the punk part of cyberpunk but that's why I love it. It really feels like a realistic look at the effect of advanced cybernetic technology on society, where it's neither a utopia nor dystopia.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
You should definitely watch Akira, it's a legend and nothing has ever surpassed it (IMO) in 25 years. Ghost In The Shell comes close, that's why it's one of my favorites.
Those two are epic for cyberpunk fans, right along with the movie Blade Runner.

You should check out 5 centimeters per second if you like the more emotional anime. I really loved it. Another one in that spectrum mixed with some adventure is Spirited Away.

Spirited Away I have in my queue, I will add 5 centimeters per second.. I've not really searched for anime movies, I tend to stick to the anime series.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
It's a bit lacking on the punk part of cyberpunk but that's why I love it. It really feels like a realistic look at the effect of advanced cybernetic technology on society, where it's neither a utopia nor dystopia.
Yep, Ghost in the Shell - and Stand Alone Complex in particular - are both well into post-Cyberpunk rather than Cyberpunk.

I'll throw in a recommendation for Redline. Take Takeshi Koike (director of Trava: Fist Planet), give him Studio MADHOUSE and an absolutely absurd budget, and tell him to create a mashup of Mad Max and Wacky Races. Definitely worth getting the BD to watch rather than streaming, the amount of detail is incredible and low bitrates will just turn it to mush.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Dennou Coil is a good one that focuses on augmented reality. Which is crazy because Microsoft's HoloLens is the precursor to the type of technology in the show.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Other than Dennou Coil, VR and AR don't get much showing outside of innumerable variants on "people get trapped in an MMO". Summer Wars is the only one that comes to mind where VR isn't just a momentary aside.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Real Drive touches on VR and cyberspace a fair bit. It's not the main focus but Masamune Shirow wrote the story so what it does cover is very interesting.