Watercooling in the ncase m1

Kallus

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I was looking into watercooling in the ncase m1 and I am planning on using an EK PE 240mm radiator on the side which according to EK's site has a cooling capacity of about 260 watts at 1500 rpms with their vardar fans. I was wondering if adding an additional 120mm slim radiator with a slim fan to the loop would enough of a difference to warrant doing. Does anyone have experience or insight regarding this?

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Where do you want to add the 120 rad? The bottom? If so you can use 240 instead which is obviously better than 120.

Are you planning on using the Swiftech pump/block + FrozenQ res?

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
If you're talking about the back of the m1, I believe that's a 92mm slot, not 120. I have seen lots of builds that use that layout though, 240 on the bottom and 92 on the back. As stated though, if you have the room and aren't doing a sidepanel window mod, dual 240 rads is also good.
You won't be able to fit the PE on the bottom though, pretty sure you have to use the SE there. Not sure about the sidepanel.

Kallus

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I was planning on using the 240 on the side and if need be, put the 120 under the gpu. I would be using a ddc pump under the card, but i am not even sure if that is worth it. Ill look into the swiftech block

Soules

Caliper Novice
Feb 26, 2018
From what I looked into it really doesn't help much at all, unfortunately that info is mostly anecdotal as sources go from the m1 hardforum page. If you haven't already bought a pump or a block i would just go with the swiftech route, I would have in hindsight, you can put another 240 in the bottom that way but will most likely sacrifice your front i/o ports and power switch for dual 240's. Also there are some better rad choices to look at as well, i went with an alphacool brand that has better quality overall the other popular choice is the nemesis black ice gts from hardwarelabs which is a above average performer.

Kallus

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
From what I looked into it really doesn't help much at all, unfortunately that info is mostly anecdotal as sources go from the m1 hardforum page. If you haven't already bought a pump or a block i would just go with the swiftech route, I would have in hindsight, you can put another 240 in the bottom that way but will most likely sacrifice your front i/o ports and power switch for dual 240's. Also there are some better rad choices to look at as well, i went with an alphacool brand that has better quality overall the other popular choice is the nemesis black ice gts from hardwarelabs which is a above average performer.
What im wondering is if the single 38mm thick rad is enough to cool a delidded 8700k and a 1080 with decent temps or if adding the other rad is necessary

Soules

Caliper Novice
Feb 26, 2018
A sorry should have quoted you to make more sense, from what I have seen the extra slim 120 rad and slim fan doesn't do all that much overall. A good rad like the ones I listed will be fine, then add an oc as the temps dictate.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@monster.m Instead of just linking to your build, how about sharing a build log here on the forum, or at least a few pics in the Show us your rig thread?

Reactions: royalba94