Want to get tiny fanless system for streaming

tbessie

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Hi folks...

I'm looking into fanless systems to use for audio and video streaming around my house. Currently, I have a full-on HTPC under my TV, running Windows 7 x64, chock full of storage and great audio and video cards. The issue is, 1) it uses lots of power, 2) I have to remember to turn it on if I want to use it for streaming, 3) I've been getting lots of BSODs on it (most likely due to a faulty memory stick that I've since removed, but I'm still getting BSODs sometimes). I'd like a "Turn it on and leave it running forever" fanless system that I'd probably put Linux on.

The most interesting prebuilt systems I've seen out there were:

• Gigabyte BRIX IOT
  • Zotac CI549 nano
  • Zotac CI660 nano

Unfortunately, the I can't find the BRIX IOT for sale ANYWHERE, even though it's supposed to be available; and the Zotac CI660, though announced long ago, still hasn't been released.

I'm thinking of getting a CI549 for now, and hope it works for what I want.

Has anyone out there got a good idea of what might best suit my needs? I'm having a hard time finding any good fanless options out there, except the ones mentioned above.

Reactions: DarekLogic

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I would suggest looking into Logic Supply's fanless industrial PCs. They come in various sizes with various processors (most having Braswell quad-core Celerons), and you should be able to find something that fits your needs.

Also, you might wanna get your hands dirty with a few Raspberry Pi 3s/Zeroes (powerful enough [FWIH] to stream 1080P video, support for basic Linux (and Android+Windows 10 IOT), but those require a bit of setup, and may require a DAC if you don't like phone-quality audio...

What are your requirements for video/audio streaming? Do you need voice control options? Also, what is your budget? With this information, we can better detail options for you...

Reactions: DarekLogic

tbessie

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Have you considered any of the Intel NUC line?

Yeah, I've been looking at those too. In the end I decided to get a Zotac CI549 nano, but I'll probably build myself a NUC system based on the 8th generation boards that are starting to be released, after they're all more readily available. Meanwhile, the Zotac will work for my needs.

- Tim

Reactions: el01

tbessie

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I would suggest looking into Logic Supply's fanless industrial PCs. They come in various sizes with various processors (most having Braswell quad-core Celerons), and you should be able to find something that fits your needs.

Also, you might wanna get your hands dirty with a few Raspberry Pi 3s/Zeroes (powerful enough [FWIH] to stream 1080P video, support for basic Linux (and Android+Windows 10 IOT), but those require a bit of setup, and may require a DAC if you don't like phone-quality audio...

What are your requirements for video/audio streaming? Do you need voice control options? Also, what is your budget? With this information, we can better detail options for you...

Thanks for the info on Logic Supply - I'm getting a lot of good pointers in this search!

I don't mind building a system from scratch, but even the most powerful Raspberry Pi isn't as powerful as I want this system to be, nor do they have enough connectivity options for me.

As I mention above, I ended up getting a Zotac, but will likely build my own 8th generation NUC fanless system once everything's available easily. Budget is "under $1500" which allows me quite a lot of leeway. I'd like to be able to play 4k video, probably no need to stream it wirelessly tho'. I have a big beefy HTPC I built long ago, but in my small apartment that doesn't allow much room for anything else (I have a compact integrated amp with DVD player, but that's all), so I may replace that at some point with the fanless NUC I eventually build; it won't be able to hold as much storage as the current one (I have 3 SSDs in it at present), but I don't strictly need a ton of storage - 2tb would be enough for most of my needs.

- Tim

Reactions: el01

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
A nice small setup I usu is Asrock j5005 with a Morex 557B case and a Pico PSU, if you're building one up take a look, not tiny but less hassle for getting in and out of.

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com

Thanks for the shoutout!

It sounds like you've already picked up a system tbessie, but if you find yourself back in the market, we have a number of fanless NUC options (as well as our newly released NC100 fanned NUC system) that might suit your needs - https://www.logicsupply.com/products/features/nuc-computers.

Last edited:

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
it's not fanless, but there's the ECS Liva Q, I doubt you'll get anything smaller. (Q2 is supposed to come out soon too)

tbessie

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
I did already get a Zotac; I'm going to use that for awhile, but I think I'm going to build my own mini-ITX-based 8th-gen Intel fanless computer. Ideally, I'd wait for the next generation that will have onboard Thunderbolt 3 (since almost no current mini-ITX boards have it except one ASROCK), but I will probably build based around existing boards and use that for awhile.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!

- Tim