Log Walrus OB1: open bench with quirky layout

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Walrus OB1 (AKA open bench 1)

A bit of a quick, fun and quirky concept to test some hardware combinations I have in mind as research and preparation for potential project(s).

The idea is to have a modular frame with evenly spread mounting holes (15mm spacing) so different layouts can be realized.

Motherboard can be moved up and down, PSU can be mounted on either side, radiator thickness is arbitrary, fan controller can be mounted in different ways...

I also plan to move the GPU to the top using a riser, but it requires some further research and development.

This is how it's supposed to work:

We are starting off with Alphacool NexXxoS ST20 HPE Full Copper 240mm Radiator. It will act both as GPU cooling and as structural part of the frame.
First I wanted to use Scythe 120x120x12mm fans, but mine have a some of issues (one has noisy motor) so I swapped them for P12 Slim PWM PST later.

The total width of the radiator package is still only 35mm while packing a decent punch.

Then we prepare the GPU and the "floating" Alphacool DC-LT pump. NB: this pump doesn't like being placed vertically (gets very loud due to bubbles), so I added a 90 degree elbow after the GPU terminal.

Then goes the ABS frame. I found that PLA I was using for some of my cases before can be melted at high temperatures of components like motherboards, PSU, GPU backplates.

All holes can be populated with M3 threaded inserts that can be installed with a soldering iron.

Frame is placed vertically

PSU is velcroed to the side brackets. Can be replaced with the upcoming HDPLEX 500W GaN.

Also notice how the PSU brackets double as mounting points for the fan controller.

Then goes the motherboard

Almost there

Some cables are still not managed...

Like the power connector at the back

I still have some things to do:
  • better cable management
  • bracket to hold the power button
  • bracket to hold the power cable
  • maybe sleeve some of the fan/pump/misc wires
  • wire up the RGB on the waterblock to visually indicate water temperature like in my previous build

P. S.: GPU is Gainward RTX™ 4080 Phoenix "GS" with Alphacool reference waterblock for 4070Ti. PCB Length under 170mm.

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
The idea is to have a modular frame with evenly spread mounting holes (15mm spacing) so different layouts can be realized.
So cool! Makes me think of some SFF Makerbeam rails.
Good idea also to have the rad as a part of the frame, sort of, helping in its structural rigidity!

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
sort of, helping in its structural rigidity!

Actually, helping quite significantly! The whole ABS frame (without the base which is black and blue PLA) is just about 100 grams.

Reactions: dealda