Log Walrus mk02: a 3D-printed brickless ~4L case with external radiator

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
Just got to this build thread from your signature line elsewhere in the forum. I've got nothing to add except to say damn that's bordering on perfect space optimization in your design. And the window to let the special edition EK block fully show its stuff is eyepoppingly good.

So I take it that the performance of that dummy thick radiator is good enough to keep. But was it simply not bad, or was it as excellent as advertised with respect to static pressure airflow, fin density, etc. as theorized / discussed way back when back in April?

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Just got to this build thread from your signature line elsewhere in the forum. I've got nothing to add except to say damn that's bordering on perfect space optimization in your design. And the window to let the special edition EK block fully show its stuff is eyepoppingly good.

So I take it that the performance of that dummy thick radiator is good enough to keep. But was it simply not bad, or was it as excellent as advertised with respect to static pressure airflow, fin density, etc. as theorized / discussed way back when back in April?

The performance of this radiator is excellent, it's very far from being a bottleneck. I think I hit the sweet spot in terms of performance for my needs. Even when I'm abusing my PC with a stress test (pulling about 580W at the wall, CPU pulling 160W and GPU pulling 307W simultaneously) the water temperature never reaches the "final" 40°C (that's the reading when the fans should reach their maximum 800 RPM).

I'm really glad I used the 200mm fans, even at full speed their sound is very pleasant (low frequency hum), and absolutely no whooshing from the air going through the radiator.

Here is the aquasuite screenshot with my fan curve. Only about 7 minutes after the stress test and the fans are already back to 360 RPM from 770 RPM and the temperature is dropping to 30° and then further.

The weakest point is the PSU: after 40 minutes of this 580W stress test my PSU temperature probe reading creeps upwards to 80° giving the puny 40mm fan a hard time. In gaming or productivity workloads (when only one of either CPU or GPU) are fully taxed this is not a problem, the PSU keeps up just fine.

EDIT: when running only FurMark (307W at GPU), the water temperature settles at around 36.6°-36.7°.

Last edited:

SoSquidTaste

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
Absolutely amazing to hear. Your build alone has me questioning my vague opposition to SFF case --> external radiator. Bravo!

• Love
Reactions: morj

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Nice!
After months of use, do you find the noise coming from the external fans disturbing or not at all?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
This project just makes me wish my 6800XT wasn't so bloody long (PCB alone is 267mm, EK waterblock and backplate makes it more like 282mm!)

I totally expected you to place the external rad/fans further away, so that it's less noisy/irritating, didn't realise it was going to be 1ft away on the same desk 😅

Hey,

do you know if there is such a waterblock for the ASUS x570 itx board, too?

Cheers and thanks,
Beard
It was reported back in December that EK were releasing one for the ROG Strix X570I Gaming. Of course it's a monoblock but does NOT have pump integration.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
@BaK @SFFMunkee Those 200mm fans are either inaudible (when running at 400rpm) or have low-frequency hum on 800rpm (this is about as fast as they can go). Not much air whooshing as well. The loudest component at load is the PSU fan as I mentioned before.

Reactions: petricor and BaK

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
@BaK @SFFMunkee Those 200mm fans are either inaudible (when running at 400rpm) or have low-frequency hum on 800rpm (this is about as fast as they can go). Not much air whooshing as well. The loudest component at load is the PSU fan as I mentioned before.
Fair enough, I'm planning to hide mine, but primary motive is adding difficulty for my toddler to get his little fingers into the fan blades :D

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Fair enough, I'm planning to hide mine, but primary motive is adding difficulty for my toddler to get his little fingers into the fan blades :D

Those fan blade assemblies are HEAVY. If Noctua made them spin at 3000RPM, probably they can chop off a finger of an adult! But I really like the look and on usual RPM they are safe enough (at least for me).

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Have you traveled (flight) with this case during this time? If so, how would you go about it? (asking for a friend (of a friend (of a friend)))

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Have you traveled (flight) with this case during this time? If so, how would you go about it? (asking for a friend (of a friend (of a friend)))

Nope, never had a chance, I only traveled for work once after I built this PC (in 2021), but almost next day when it wasn't entirely tested (event had to push to complete the build before the trip). But I would just take any smaller radiator and put it in the checked luggage. The PC itself will fit in a backpack no problem.

Honestly though, I think if I absolutely needed to travel with airplanes for work, I would have gone with air cooling, it's more durable and raises fewer questions. Besides, my current work situation does not require hauling a powerful workstation around.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
So thanks a lot, @morj.

I just picked up a 540mm radiator with 500-900rpm fans...
...to replace my 420mm radiator with ~800-2500rpm fans...
...which replaced my 2x240mm radiators, with 600-2200rpm fans...
...which started as a single 240mm...
...and all the while I'm wishing that my actual PC case were smaller.

That last part is 100% on you and @petricor :p

And no, I haven't found a 2x200mm radiator yet, or that might've been next lol

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
So thanks a lot, @morj.

I just picked up a 540mm radiator with 500-900rpm fans...
...to replace my 420mm radiator with ~800-2500rpm fans...
...which replaced my 2x240mm radiators, with 600-2200rpm fans...
...which started as a single 240mm...
...and all the while I'm wishing that my actual PC case were smaller.

That last part is 100% on you and @petricor :p

And no, I haven't found a 2x200mm radiator yet, or that might've been next lol

Next up: wall mounted fanless radiator 😉 Something like this:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Next up: wall mounted fanless radiator 😉 Something like this:

Now only to replace the GPU with a 4000 gen Nvidia card and you can use it to heat your house during the winter! :D

petricor

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2018
Wow - just came across this through your signature - very nice one! Where in the PSU did you place the temperature sensor? Looks like you got onto the Aquacomputer way before me!

Reactions: morj

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Wow - just came across this through your signature - very nice one! Where in the PSU did you place the temperature sensor? Looks like you got onto the Aquacomputer way before me!

Yeah, big fan of this little controller from my very first watercooled rig (not a custom one). If I recall, I placed the probe onto the PSU heatsink (can't find any photos of it unfortunately).

EDIT: not sure, maybe I placed it not directly on the heatsink, but between the heatsink and the aluminium casing.

Last edited: