Enclosure VR HTPC case options..

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
Have barely finished my Ryzen 3 APU HTPC build, but I think I was shooting too low.. been-there-done-that. Will sell it to a friend and build something more interesting.

So I guess I need to shoe-horn a GTX 1060 into something. To be clear, I'm not a gamer, I haven't owned a gaming card since Q-III was king. So a 1060 will be enough, I'll most likely play all the free Steam games and only buy something that really has something to blow your socks off.. like multiplayer-VR, if that ever happens (on a single PC). But at minimum I want to be able to add an Oculus or Vive or VR-something.

My problem is the case location - my Hi-fi table fits maximum H 108mm x W 430mm x D 420mm although I need to leave a bit of space around for airflow, as the shelf is a wooden box effectively. Above the unit there is some headroom although the opening is max 108, so intake should be favoured from above if feasible.

I've identified the Fractal Design 202 as a possible option. This was one of my front-runners the first time around but I wanted to go smaller; this time I need an expansion slot or two, so all my nice Hi-Fi-ish cases are out. There's a Tendraw H128 seen here (it's the OEM base of the Streacom F7 and others) which gives me 1 expansion slot so I'd need to be careful with the GPU to find one that could squeeze in there. I don't mind hacking off any protuding ports on the second slot-space of the card if needed as there'll only be a single HDMI connection on this guy. Problem with the Tendraw is that it's --exactly-- 108mm so it would require some encouragement; and I'm thinking I'd need to replace the PSU whcih is only 250W and would be pushing the limits to run a 1060 I assume.

So are there any further options I could consider within these limitations? I guess the FD 202 will work if need-be, so I don't need to look at re-locating the unit to accommodate cases outside of these dimenstion. But are there any alternatives anyone knows of? Significantly more expensive than the FD probably isn't worth considering either.

As an aside, anyone know if the Coffee Lake i3 is sufficient for VR? I already have one in another build I was playing with but if it can take over this role it saves me making another Ryzen vs i5 choice...

{edit}
Added Silverstone ML06-E to consideration.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
I saw that one, but I'm kinda a sucker for Hi-Fi feet and once I stick my own on there it'll push it past the 108mm. Although I could conceivably stick/screw them on after I slide it into place, there is about another 20mm headroom after the initial opening. I'll keep it in mind, cheers :)

Ahh I remember why I was looking at the ML08 before too.. nice bit of ventilation where the GPU ends up.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
S4M by NFC, Node 202, and RVZ02 are your best choices.

You need 2 expansion slot minimum to use any of GTX 1060 class GPU.

Going the size of S4M means you can also go with mSTX, Zotac Mini PC, or Intel Nuc. These all have similar price per performance but lack upgradeability in some ways.

An i3 will work just fine but I recommend a 2600X or i5-8400. I argue that the Ryzen 2200G offers better value than an i3.

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
The S4M would obviously be great but there's also the logic supply MC600 for something cheaper, though think it needs customising to get decent cooling.

108mm sounds tight for the N202 and RVZ02 and getting decent cooling, though I may not be understanding the shelf arrangement fully? Also how important is noise for you? I had a RVZ02 horizontal in a TV unit (so only open at the front) and now switched to an S4M. The SFX PSU in the RVZ02 would get loud as air was just recirculating - one option I'd considered was putting fans in the back of the TV unit. With lower power parts (gtx1060+i5 6500) my S4M is fine now though, apart from the gpu which can get fairly noisy under max load.