Velka 3 Wooden Faceplate/Bezel

warmack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
I've been kicking around the idea of a wooden SFFPC for a while now, but haven't committed the time to work out the necessary details for mounting the hardware inside the case. In the meantime I've been messing around with a wooden faceplate/bezel (or whatever you want to call it) for the Velka 3. I've made two versions out of two types of wood now just to experiment. They are pretty easy to make, and I think they solve one of my small complaints about the Velka 3: the way the side panels are visible from the front of the case.

Bookmatched walnut

Quartersawn sycamore

I put together a little album of the build and included some shop photos here. Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
awesome little mod to elevate your plane old case!! personally i like the darker one better, and it would be even better with the black case, but that just my opinion :) but its cool to see that someone mods this case to their liking!!

warmack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
awesome little mod to elevate your plane old case!! personally i like the darker one better, and it would be even better with the black case, but that just my opinion :) but its cool to see that someone mods this case to their liking!!
Thanks! I agree with you that the walnut looks better, except when it is sitting on my desk. I guess I will need to make a new desk! I'm sending out another one in the darker walnut to someone who has the black version so we will see what that looks like soon.

warmack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
I'm a walnut guy, so my opinion doesn't count as it's completely biased XD. Nice little mod indeed, I'd like to see more wood in this cold PC world.
I'll bring the wood! I've got a NCASE on order and want to make a wood front for that next, but that might be a little more involved than this simple mod.

Ragsters

Trash Compacter
Apr 15, 2018
It reminds me of this case that never came out with the wood plate.

I

Would love this case, the velka 5 or even my Ncase with a purple heart wood plate.

warmack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
It reminds me of this case that never came out with the wood plate.

I

Would love this case, the velka 5 or even my Ncase with a purple heart wood plate.
Someone is supposed to be sending me the dimensions for the Velka 5 to do something similar. I also have an NCASE in customs right now and plan to a wooden front.

The difficulty with purpleheart though is that is goes brown over time. That and the splinters...

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Would you be willing to make on for my ytc m69? I'll provide exact dimensions when it arrives. (No power button so it's a simple rectangle. :) )

mindad

Chassis Packer
Dec 22, 2019
Looks great, always liked the combination of wood and metal. Personally I like the walnut :)

Lot of possiblities; e.g burl, figured, or exotics like zebrawood or curly koa, etc.

How do the faceplates fit to the case? Magnets? You could do several and swap them out depending on your mood of the day.

warmack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
Would you be willing to make on for my ytc m69? I'll provide exact dimensions when it arrives. (No power button so it's a simple rectangle. :) )

Sure. Send me a message and we can work out the details.

warmack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
Looks great, always liked the combination of wood and metal. Personally I like the walnut :)

Lot of possiblities; e.g burl, figured, or exotics like zebrawood or curly koa, etc.

How do the faceplates fit to the case? Magnets? You could do several and swap them out depending on your mood of the day.
Currently using the power button which acts kind of like a bolt along with some some double sided adhesive at the top. Magnets would be an interesting option but would have to glued on the inside of the case as well because it is all aluminum. You would probably also need to add a thick washer to the power button so it appears flush with the rest of the front.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Love the look of this!

Would you be able to do one of the Velka 5? I am going to be picking one up this week when they come back in stock and think this is an amazing way hiding the brushed metal and elevating the design, definitely love that darker walnut - I have a DW Collector's Cherry drum kit which is a walnut stain over natural cherry wood and gives me similar vibes.

warmack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Warmack Woodworks
Nov 4, 2018
Love the look of this!

Would you be able to do one of the Velka 5? I am going to be picking one up this week when they come back in stock and think this is an amazing way hiding the brushed metal and elevating the design, definitely love that darker walnut - I have a DW Collector's Cherry drum kit which is a walnut stain over natural cherry wood and gives me similar vibes.
Definitely. I'd just need the dimensions for the 5.