Log Velka 3 or K39 Build Help? Has to be under $800

SF3rdStrike

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 24, 2024
Bit of background and usage requirements. Laptop user my whole life, my 11 year old laptop is literally dying and instead of getting another laptop I want to try to get into SFF PCs. Useage will be mostly for Lightroom (no photoshop), Playing movies and youtube, and as for games I dont think the games I play are very demanding. Mostly emulation of retro games and playing from Steam, the most modern game I play is Street Fighter 6 and Civilization VI, but Baldur's Gate 3 does look tempting so it would be nice to play that.

Leaning towards the K39 as its a bit cheaper, but the Velka 3 rev 3 just looks so cool too being so tiny. I am still amazed at the size of PCs nowadays (Yes I am old). Hopefully I can Keep this under $800, excluding the price of the case and monitors (I will use my Ipad or my Smart TV).

With my limited research, it seems the Zotac Solo 4060 is the "best" choice for me? How about an ASUS GeForce RTX 3050 Phoenix V2? I bring it up just because its a bit cheaper. AS for the motherboard and CPU, would this work or are there better choices: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 6-Core Processor and ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A?

The RAM and Storage I can kinda figure out, I wont need more than 1TB in storage but I do want 32g in RAM.

The power supply is confusing to me, it seems the only one that will fit either one is ENP-7660B-VK 600W Flex ATX PSU?

As for the cooler, would this fit: Thermalright AXP90-X47 Full Cooper ?

Thank you all for the help.

SF3rdStrike

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jul 24, 2024
So I ended up getting a Zotac 4060 Solo, ENP-7660B-VK 600W, K39 v3, and an Intel 12000. Not sure what mother board to get. Should I go for DDR5? I dont mind spending extra on that if there is noticeable improvement.

HWI

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2022
Should I go for DDR5?
The DDR4 and DDR5 LGA 1700 ITX motherboards are about the same price these days. You can get 32GB of DDR4 3600 CL18 for about $60 and 32GB of DDR5 6000 CL 48 for about $85. For that minimal price difference I would go DDR5, DDR4 is EOL and DDR5 will perform better.

Reactions: rfarmer