GPU VEGA NANO

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
But can you undervolt/overclock this like any other Vega? Wasn't it something with a funky bios etc..?

SiG

Trash Compacter
Oct 8, 2017
Reactions: zillatron

zillatron

Trash Compacter
Dec 5, 2015
But can you undervolt/overclock this like any other Vega? Wasn't it something with a funky bios etc..?

No difference afaik, I'll probably try a Vega 64 bios at some point (with water) to get a higher ceiling. So far though it's responded really well.

Z

zillatron

Trash Compacter
Dec 5, 2015
Interesting... what temp does it run at when gaming? is that as high as the hbm frequency will go?

It's pretty horrible atm haha It's is entirely the wrong setup for air cooling so depending on the game it may hit the thermal limit that's set (SW:BF2 1440p Ultra) or not (Elite: Dangerous VR Ultra).

Haven't played too much with the HBM just yet, that's 100Mhz above stock and 50mv UV to start from.

Z

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Could I power a Vega Nano off the HDPlex 400W? It doesn't seem to have enough slots for the 2 PCIe cables the card apparently needs (from what I've read on the product page).

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Yup, you need 2x 8pin.

I’m running a Corsair SF600 - 400w might be a little tight IMO. The card can easily get to 200W (Wattman figures) under full load with the power limit maxed.
Z
I've always been planning on a decent undervolt, so I'll have a bit more room to work with

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
Could I power a Vega Nano off the HDPlex 400W? It doesn't seem to have enough slots for the 2 PCIe cables the card apparently needs (from what I've read on the product page).

If you click on the package contents, you will see it has two 6 + 2 connectors, so you should be OK.

I've always been planning on a decent undervolt, so I'll have a bit more room to work with

Yeah, running it at 950mv or 900mv will bring you down under 200w iirc.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Ive had one since the original relwasw over the summer. my waterblock came in last week. waiting on a single pci bracket

How did it go with watercooling this card using the alphacool block?

Here ya go :)

I just got my Sapphire Pulse last week, this is what I'm running with the stock cooler so far:
Still a WIP. Some more good (if slightly old) info: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3020-amd-rx-vega-56-review-undervoltage-hbm-vs-core

Z

How low have you been able to undervolt this particular Sapphire model?

Last edited:

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Josh said in his latest stream that he hasn't ran seen many so far who've had a good experience with the Vega Nano. As a thread dedicated to this card, can anyone who has it offer their own experiences?

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Who are these 'not many'? It gets very good reviews, and buyers on Newegg etc are positive about the card. Ordering one myself next week.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Who are these 'not many'? It gets very good reviews, and buyers on Newegg etc are positive about the card. Ordering one myself next week.
Without rewatching the video, he says his and somebody else's has issues. This card hasn't been available all that long in terms of both time and stock, so maybe it's just a case of low sample size and online discussion due to the factors I talked about. But I'll be picking one up in a month or two myself for the second round of MI6 cases.

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Without rewatching the video, he says his and somebody else's has issues. This card hasn't been available all that long in terms of both time and stock, so maybe it's just a case of low sample size and online discussion due to the factors I talked about. But I'll be picking one up in a month or two myself for the second round of MI6 cases.

Awesome, thanks! And I'm glad you haven't been put off by the reviews. Would make me get cold feet as well. :p There was a 'negative' video online, but according to AMD reddit, the reviewer 'did everyhting wrong' regarding undervolting etc...

Miniitxisfun

Efficiency Noob
Oct 20, 2017
i running a stock vega nano i bought from a miner and it says it is only drawing 160w in afterburner. i am going to be soon running it with a i7 6800k on a 500w gunique setup. is my vega actually drawing 160w? whats an accurate way to measure it?

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
is my vega actually drawing 160w? whats an accurate way to measure it?

From my understanding, that is just the power being used by the chip. Add more for the rest of the card.

Bad news for my card is that mine has Hynix HBM. The good news is at the moment it seems happy to run at 945mhz, with the core at around 1480mhz and 950mv. This places the chip power at the normal board max of 160w. Interestingly, tweaking mv settings seems to only kick in at 905, 955 and so on. At 900mv it does around 1380 (iirc) and drops to ~140w, at 955mv it sits at about 1530mhz and 180w. I didn't have the ram clocked with those runs though.