GPU VEGA NANO

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
I moved [two] posts to this topic.
Thanks for that. I tried searching for it and couldnt find it (wasnt in the search results for "nano" or "vega nano") and again the news post on the main site was linking to a broken post. Glad to see it wasn't deleted.

Just curious - I assume this isn't the thread your talking about?
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/vega-nano.2572/page-10
Yeah it was, but the search function on the forum was turning up nothing lol. Thanks tho :)

Petano

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
I don't believe we will see Vega Nano based on Vega 56 or 64. Because of thermals makers need to go with TDP below 200W. It would require lower clocks and therefore be too close to old Fury X/R9 Nano performance level. It would be storm towards RTG if they release Vega nano only ~20% quicker compare to almost 3 years old products.
RTG tried to put chain on Fury/R9Nano leg by prohibitting HBM overclock in drivers early this year but it seems it is still not enough.
I am sad to say we have to wait for Vega refresh or Navi (again waiting... and meanwhile they should re-enable HBM overclock)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I don't believe we will see Vega Nano based on Vega 56 or 64. Because of thermals makers need to go with TDP below 200W. It would require lower clocks and therefore be too close to old Fury X/R9 Nano performance level. It would be storm towards RTG if they release Vega nano only ~20% quicker compare to almost 3 years old products.
RTG tried to put chain on Fury/R9Nano leg by prohibitting HBM overclock in drivers early this year but it seems it is still not enough.
I am sad to say we have to wait for Vega refresh or Navi (again waiting... and meanwhile they should re-enable HBM overclock)

I disagree. A VEGA 56 with properly tuned voltage will lose no performance while hitting the 200W target. GamerNexus graph:

Unfortunately, GamerNexus did not investigate how much lower power consumption you can hit with unaffected power limit + undervolt. Since they are trying to extract performance, they increase power limit in addition to the undervolt. From this data and many user reports of undervolt and power limiting, we can expect to extract the same amount of performance compared to stock, while hitting around 180-200W.

I personally tuned a VEGA 64 and got a nice undervolt of -150mV, from stock chip power of 220W to 185W while losing no performance. There was a slight increase in performance but it was within margin of error.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
But their not going to hand tune every single chip, they will push a lowest common denominator tune that enables them to hit their performance metric on as many chips as possible, likely w/ some binning happening as well. Essentially what their already doing w/ 56 and 64 now.

Reactions: TheHig

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
But their not going to hand tune every single chip, they will push a lowest common denominator tune that enables them to hit their performance metric on as many chips as possible, likely w/ some binning happening as well. Essentially what their already doing w/ 56 and 64 now.

You don't need a hand tune. A 1400 mhz ceiling and -50mV voltage de-tune will get you about stock performance while lower power consumption around 30-40W.

And a lowest common denominator voltage isn't as important it used to be. These have dynamic clockspeed so it'll adapt based on the voltage given.

It happened with the Asus Fury Strix where ASUS dropped the voltage by 43mV and reduced power consumption greatly:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9421/the-amd-radeon-r9-fury-review-feat-sapphire-asus/17

A VEGA 56 in Nano is not some unicorn in terms of power consumption or performance target. Its the issue of worth investing of building a high end chip (for AMD) for a niche market when they have such low marketshare.

Reactions: Phuncz and TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I spent 20 days tweaking, tuning and ultimately returning an MSI Vega 56. The card performed well enough and generally I was pleased but I still think it needs some refinement. I love to mess with my hardware but these tweaks are all but mandatory to get the card in order. Perhaps better yields, drivers and finally some aftermarket cooling can make it sing but as much as I am a fan it’s a near miss by AMD for me so far. I’m not ruling out another try but back to my 980 for now.

Has anyone seen the pics of the XFX Vega 56 with the custom cooler? The PCB looks to be itx sized. Maybe someone could make their own Nano if AMD doesn’t.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I spent 20 days tweaking, tuning and ultimately returning an MSI Vega 56. The card performed well enough and generally I was pleased but I still think it needs some refinement. I love to mess with my hardware but these tweaks are all but mandatory to get the card in order. Perhaps better yields, drivers and finally some aftermarket cooling can make it sing but as much as I am a fan it’s a near miss by AMD for me so far. I’m not ruling out another try but back to my 980 for now.

Has anyone seen the pics of the XFX Vega 56 with the custom cooler? The PCB looks to be itx sized. Maybe someone could make their own Nano if AMD doesn’t.

I think it's outrageous that they haven't slapped on a RX 580 sized cooler on one. For goodness sake, the two GPUs burn through about the same amount of power.

The XFX PCB is nice, but their design this generation is disgusting.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
You don't need a hand tune. A 1400 mhz ceiling and -50mV voltage de-tune will get you about stock performance while lower power consumption around 30-40W.
And a lowest common denominator voltage isn't as important it used to be. These have dynamic clockspeed so it'll adapt based on the voltage given.

Sure but at the end of the day you can take almost any given GPU on any given day and get an undervolt out of it. Whilst im not the most informed on this (read: i dont care all that much) it does strike me that GPUs tend to come w/ conservative (or dare i say lowest common denominator) power profiles. Across the industry the approach seems to be to push a power profile that enables a guaranteed performance baseline across as many dies off a wafer as possible.

A VEGA 56 in Nano is not some unicorn in terms of power consumption or performance target.
That wasnt what I was trying to imply by any means. My theory (rampant speculation) comes down to yields and binning combined w/ addressable market & product development costs. If they do manage to bring a new Nano to market id hope they would also put some of that RnD time into dealing w/ the very spiky power draw the last card was borderline notorious for too.

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
I think it's outrageous that they haven't slapped on a RX 580 sized cooler on one. For goodness sake, the two GPUs burn through about the same amount of power.

The XFX PCB is nice, but their design this generation is disgusting.

Agreed, xfx cards usually look a lot better than the pics I have seen.
Having said that, a waterblock on that fury sized pcb would pike my interest.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Is there anyone still waits for the Vega Nano? I'm waiting for it to use as an eGPU inside Aorus Gaming Box (~3.3 liters) for MacOS. In that way, I'll get rid of my 12.7 liter eGPU enclosure.
Also, did you notice how small is the pcb on the Sapphire's Pulse RX Vega56? It is expected to be released on 12th February;

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=19E343EE-46D4-45E8-9E3E-1693AB30DF14&lang=eng

-snip-
I mean, the XFX Double D Vega cards use that PCB as well. Now, if someone were to just buy one and make a custom cooler...

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I actually had a reference MSI Vega 56 that I bought at msrp during the very brief moment they were available. Huge let down. Hot , loud , inconsistencies in performance (early drivers to be fair) and too power hungry. Sadly I returned it after 3 weeks while I could get a refund instead of selling it to miners.

I really want a Nano AMD mid to high tier gpu as well but Vega would have to be nerfed hard to hit the power and thermals needed to fit the form factor. That or custom water. Maybe next Gen?

Reactions: Therandomness

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
I actually had a reference MSI Vega 56 that I bought at msrp during the very brief moment they were available. Huge let down. Hot , loud , inconsistencies in performance (early drivers to be fair) and too power hungry. Sadly I returned it after 3 weeks while I could get a refund instead of selling it to miners.

I really want a Nano AMD mid to high tier gpu as well but Vega would have to be nerfed hard to hit the power and thermals needed to fit the form factor. That or custom water. Maybe next Gen?
A Navi SFF card would be awesome. I mean, for now I'm happy with my RX 570 :p But I'd love to get an RX Vega with one of those PCBs and bodge together a cooler for it.

Reactions: Soul_Est and TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yes it would be a fun project for sure! Hopefully Radeon group gets it together on next round. I mean Vega is decent and I’m not harping on it too much but. If I could buy one of these custom cooled cards from XFX or preferably the Sapphire pulse shown above for 450 I’m willing to try it again. Running the CerbX as the my daily driver so I have room and the PSU is not a limiting factor.

Reactions: Therandomness

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This is a reputable site. However, these are just rumors. I WANTS IT MY PRECIOUS GOLLUM GOLLUM!