Vault 76 by PEXON

pexon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
www.pexonpcs.co.uk
Hello!

Welcome to Vault 76.

Its been a while since I managed to find the time to squeeze in a build in between my manic worklife! Following off the back of my Vault 111 build, I want to continue the 'battle hardened' style, with actual damage, dinks, holes all the gory bits, not just vinyl stickers and paint.

This time around, something different and something to challenge my skills, I am going with a glorious N-CASE M1 v5.0 Massive thank you to Joshua and Dan SFF Lab for generiously providing the case and allowing me to 'distress' it! :D

First job was to get some work done on the case.... on to the fun stuff!!!

The M1 is absolutely STUNNING. The build quality is second to none, every panel is removable, the finish is spotless and all the accessories will allow me to have endless options for cooling, storage and GPU choice

Now, on to some distressing...

Rough dremelling on the front to get the Vault 76 text cut out, I will mount some clear, sanded acrylic to add some nice back glow to the front.

I felt the front needed breaking up a little, so I added some rough black spray paint on the front and sanded it back down and added some rough files cuts and acetone to loosen the still wet paint

Its not very Fallout-y, but I realllly like the red LED glow on the front, on Vault 111 I used blue and yellow as the dominant colours to contrast the black and silver, I am digging the red this time around though.

That it for the moment, I have the side panel window cut out and will finish the acrylic this weekend and add some vinyl decals with additional weathering too!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

James

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
Hey now I know why my 3 coiled cables are taking so long... put the sander down and get the heat gun out :)

Looks great so far looking forward to seeing your plans for the internals.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I have a love-hate relationship with mods like this:

I hate the ruination of the old case,

But I love what it becomes.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I have a love-hate relationship with mods like this:

I hate the ruination of the old case,

But I love what it becomes.

Totally agree. I am a Ncase owner so hate seeing one "distressed" but I am really looking forward to seeing this build completed.

Reactions: Windfall

pexon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
www.pexonpcs.co.uk
Hey now I know why my 3 coiled cables are taking so long... put the sander down and get the heat gun out :)

Looks great so far looking forward to seeing your plans for the internals.

They are nearrrly done dude! I don't want to rush them out and give you rubbish coils, you will have them by the weekend 100% :D I'm working on this a night a week after work :p

Totally agree. I am a Ncase owner so hate seeing one "distressed" but I am really looking forward to seeing this build completed.

I completely get that, I did another build in a Phanteks Mini XL, with similar weathering and I am very happy with how it came out

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I love the front panel here, it's absolutely gorgeous, but sadly I'm not a fan of the striped side panels. Seems rather arbitrary and unmotivated in terms of fitting with the overall anesthetic, which is never a good thing. It's particularly jarring when the paint on the front is so much more distressed (and in a different way) than the stripes. Still, looking forward to how this turns out in the end :)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Replying on here at last, having commented on B-T. I love that desecration! I can understand people being conflicted about it, but it's only a metal case after all.
you've got to break those eggs to get the gourmet omelette - I'm watching with interest. Bring it on!

Reactions: rosinbole

pexon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
www.pexonpcs.co.uk
Sorry for the lack of updates, work has gone mad!

Here is where I got to...

I managed to dig out a spare 60% aluminum keyboard case, so, matching Vault 76 keeb for this project too!

Whilst at Overclockers working on some cables for the epic 8 PACK Orion X-2, I picked up a new SFX PSU for the build, the sweet little Silverstone 500W.

I also knocked up a little IEC cable to connect the PSU to the rear of the case, using a new C14 connector

New window time. The superglue and the edge panel trimming has come out sweet. Forcing the glue to dry with a quick hit of Isopropyl caused some sweet off white patina.

With the front panel, I thought it would be sweet to light the sides to allow the light to bleed through, not so intensely, so I made up a quick little LED strip set up

Raw cool white

Black electrical tape on top 1/3rd and red electrical tape on bottom 2/3rds of the cool white LED strips. Quite like this.... Its red, blue, purple, could work well.... Now... How the HELL do I make them flicker

Thats all for now! Thanks so much for looking