Flat-pack case Ryzen 2400G

Regack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
I wanted to make something again using the Ryzen 5 2400G as the basis. I know it could be smaller, but I don't like external power bricks. Nope, don't like 'em, not one bit. It didn't come out quite perfect, I made too many screw holes in some places, and not enough in others, and I apparently mis-measured the acrylic panels and they don't quite line up, but here's it is. With external dimensions of ~92mm x 224mm x 223mm I think it qualifies as SFF :p
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU - running at 3.9GHz
  • Asrock x370 Mini-ITX motherboard
  • Corsair 8GB (2x4) DDR4 3200
  • WD Black 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD with an EK heatsink
  • FSP 250W Flex ATX 80 Plus Gold PSU - spray painted a dark metallic grey (it's not dust, it's metallic paint :p )
  • 3x Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX 40x10mm fans

No, that's not all dust there, the PSU has a metallic paint on it, as I said, I apparently just suck at photos.

In the interest of space, if you want to see a couple of progress photos and some build information, I've put them behind a spoiler.
I used Ponoko to get everything cut. The frame is made out of 3.6mm birch plywood and the panels are 1.5mm acrylic. The panels are held to the frame using 3mm M3 and the frame is held together with a series of little screws M1.5 screws. In the end, I decided to glue the panel pieces together for additional rigidity, as I put too many of the little M1.5 holes in some places, but didn't include any in some of those long spans.

Finally, with the acrylic panels on the outside... that I seem to have messed up the sizing on, so they don't line up right.

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Regack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
*X370
Why not 16GB since your 2400G will be eating up some of your 8GB?
For the rest, top notch, I like it!

Oops, hah, thatnks for the correction. I thought about it but ram is still stupid expensive, and I'm mostly going to use it for streaming to the TV, and maybe occasionally some backlog steam game I can play with a controller on the couch.

smee

Chassis Packer
Apr 9, 2018
Wow Regack, this is beautiful!! Whats the noise level of those three little fans in the front?

Excellent work. :thumb:

Regack

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
Wow Regack, this is beautiful!! Whats the noise level of those three little fans in the front?

Well, they're not really that quiet, but i've got them set so they turn off when everything is below 45c, then they start ramping up from there. While streaming they haven't come on at all, the Wraith Stealth seems to do a pretty decent job, and stays reasonably quiet. Certainly, I can't hear it at all from 3m away.

Whats the temp of that APU?

It seems to be typically hanging around 40-48c for basic loads, but I've got it running steadily along at 3.9Ghz on all cores - I've heard that the CPU can be down clocked and it gives a little more headroom to the GPU portion... I haven't tried that yet. I saw it peak at 72c running a benchmark.