UV Siamese

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Two weeks now monitoring my new build temps using Open Hardware Monitor... min and max temps have dropped slightly. Both my CPU Cooler and 120 mm Case Fan are still set on Gigabyte's 'Quiet' Smart Fan Auto Mode.

CPU: 28 | 47 °C
SYSTEM: 24 | 44 °C
M.2 SSD: 41 | 55 °C
SATA SSD: 19 | 25 °C

Gigabyte 'Quiet' Mode Average Fan Speeds:
Thermaltake Engine 27 CPU Cooler = ~3300 rpm
Noctua NF-S12B redux 1200 PWM 120 mm Case Fan = ~630 rpm

Reactions: Ceros_X

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Well done. The build looks terrific! Those temps seem very solid on that Thermaltake cooler as well.

Reactions: ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Planning to stress test the system here shortly via multiple 1080P HD videos simultaneously running... waiting for the warmer weather to return here in Siam before doing it.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016

A slightly improved pic of a UV Purple Siamese Fighting Fish (aka Deep Purple Betta)

Last edited:

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
So it has been nearly a month now and I am dying to post UV Siamese's system temps and stress test results using the Thermaltake Engine 27 CPU Cooler and the Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 120 mm Case Fan. My computer is on 24/7 with neither system sleep or hibernation turned on; just screen sleep turned on.

CPU Cooler and Case Fan were both set on Gigabyte's 'Quiet' Smart Fan Auto Mode for the duration of the monitoring, as well as when performing the system stress tests which were conducted using HeavyLoad and StressMyPC stress tools. The CPU and M.2 SSD did not get as hot as I thought they would on the 'Quiet' Setting especially when I conducted the stress tests at the warmest time of the day with no air conditioning here in Thailand. Lowest temps reported were of course when the CPU was at idle with AC on during the evenings.

CPU: 24 | 57 °C
SYSTEM: 27 | 54 °C
M.2 SSD: 36 | 63 °C
2.5" SSD: 18 | 28 °C

I am very happy with this SFF build's performance thus far and extremely pleased with the performance of the little engine that could... at low rpm settings (under 700 rpm) the cooler is whisper quiet and I believe the Noctua may actually be more noisy than the Engine 27! The machine-like hum/whistle doesn't begin until the Engine reaches speeds over 700 rpm and the very load whine-like report, as heard on Josh's video, only occurs when it is at max speed settings over 5500 rpm.

Clarvel

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 17, 2016
I am very happy with this SFF build's performance thus far and extremely pleased with the performance of the little engine that could... at low rpm settings (under 700 rpm) the cooler is whisper quiet and I believe the Noctua may actually be more noisy than the Engine 27! The machine-like hum/whistle doesn't begin until the Engine reaches speeds over 700 rpm and the very load whine-like report, as heard on Josh's video, only occurs when it is at max speed settings over 5500 rpm.
That's certainly good to know, but how effective is the cooler at those low rpm speeds?

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
The exciting thing about the engine37 (I think?) to me, is that the base is copper

Reactions: cmyk78 and ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Im really interested in the cooler performance. Very nice build by the way.

Have a look at this cooler:

http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/44/name/IS-VC45

Its a vapour chamber cooler - similar to what nVidia use on the 1080's.
I will be testing it in my build for the air tests, i think it would work a treat in yours.
Thank you... UV Siamese 2 in the works, just waiting for parts!

Interesting, may just fit in (height 45 mm) under my Noctua NF-S12B redux 1200 PWM (120 x 25 mm) case fan... if not, it will definitely work with the Silverstone Quiet APA-1215L Slim (120 mm x 15 mm).

Looking forward to hearing your results!

Reactions: LukeD

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Hey there, very nice looking build!
I'm also thinking about a new build with the ML06B-E.
I don't know if you noticed but the case height is reported wrong all over the place (no thanks to Silverstone who sometimes gives measurements with the feet and sometimes without the feet). It's actually 89mm, not 99, which makes the case 6.4lt (a bit less than the reported 7lt).

I don't have the case yet and I'm wondering if you could verify the maximum cooler height down to the mm (from the motherboard to the inside of the lid without the bracket). I would like to know the height of the built-in standoffs as well but it might be too much to ask :D

Many thanks in advance!

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Thank you; I have been very pleased with it!

I have since added two (2) Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M8-P PWM fans (thread here).

Depending on the motherboard brand/type and the varying CPU socket heights you have anywhere from 68 to 72 mm.

Unfortunately, I am unable to measure from the bare motherboard standoffs as I use this pc case (computer) daily and don't have the time to dismantle and take the m/b off.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
UPDATE 1:
Replaced SFX PSU with HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX Direct-Plug; HDPLEX 80W Internal AC-DC Adapter and a Customized HDPLEX SFX Case Bracket.

UPDATE 2:
Well I ordered, received, and installed two (2) Noiseblockers and damn are they stealthy! Very quiet and very well made. They are whisper quiet. Extremely well made... German of course! I think they actually put my Noctua to shame ;-) [Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M8-P PWM = 500-2000 RPM; 54.0 m3/h; 17.0 dB(A); 0.96 W].

UPDATE 3:
Upgraded CPU to Kaby Lake Pentium G4600 3.6GHz (from Skylake Pentium G4400 3.3GHz).

UPDATE 4:
Asus Xonar DX Sound Card replaced with AudioQuest DragonFly Black and AudioQuest JitterBug.

An aside... really like the Darkside UV LEDs that I installed; very pleasant light to work by in the evenings.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I've been using Noiseblockers for a few years now. Not only are they as good, if not better, than Noctua but they look so much better.

Nice build.

Reactions: ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Hey there, very nice looking build!
I'm also thinking about a new build with the ML06B-E.
I don't know if you noticed but the case height is reported wrong all over the place (no thanks to Silverstone who sometimes gives measurements with the feet and sometimes without the feet). It's actually 89mm, not 99, which makes the case 6.4lt (a bit less than the reported 7lt).

I don't have the case yet and I'm wondering if you could verify the maximum cooler height down to the mm (from the motherboard to the inside of the lid without the bracket). I would like to know the height of the built-in standoffs as well but it might be too much to ask :D

Many thanks in advance!
@theGryphon Well I had to add another SSD drive (Crucial MX300 525GB) for work so I took UV Siamese completely apart and measured the built-in motherboard standoffs @ <6mm. Here are a few pics: