UV Siamese

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
UV Siamese is complete!

It is so named after the much sought and coveted deep UV purple coloured Siamese Fighting Fish

Now on with the build...

As many of you already may know the Darkside UV LED colour is actually a much darker deep purple and less pink than seen in the pictures. I replaced the Silverstone supplied eye-aching blue-coloured power indicator LED with a Darkside 5mm UV LED.

I just love the intense neon blue-green glow of the motherboard edge and other parts

The supplied USB 3.0 header cable was such a nightmare I finally just snipped it along with the unneeded audio header cables... I prefer the minimal look anyways and I have a handy little four port powered usb 3.0 hub I like to use. I replaced nearly 95% of all the silver coloured screws supplied by Silverstone with black ones and added some nice black thumb screws to make taking the cover on/off easier... I just couldn't find black-coloured fan bolts/screws that secure the Noctua to the fan bracket right above the CPU/Motherboard :-( and yes, that is a 25 mm thick case fan I squeezed in there!

The little engine that could... the tiny Thermaltake Engine 27 is working extraordinarily well though I am only using it with a Skylake Pentium at the moment... waiting for Kaby Lake. The Engine 27 is more noisy than my Cryorig C7, though not dramatically so. It has an interesting low machine-like hum that up until now has not been distracting to me... at least thus far. I had anticipated a more buzzing-like and/or grating-like sound but instead it is producing more of a low humming, refrigerator compressor-like, report.

HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX Direct-Plug with HDPLEX 80W Internal AC-DC Adapter

I have the CPU Cooler (Engine 27) and Case Fans (Two Noiseblocker 80 mm and Noctua 120mm) set at the lowest settings ('SILENT' mode) via the Gigabyte M/B bios... minimum and maximum temperatures noted for the past week plus as follows (my system is on 24/7):

CPU: 26 | 45 C
Case: 24 | 33 C
SSD: 25 | 35 C
M2 SSD: 38 | 55 C

(Please see temp update post on 29 DEC down below)

BUILD PART LIST
Silverstone Milo ML06B-E Case
Gigabyte H170N-WiFi
Intel Skylake G4400 Pentium (replaced with Kaby Lake Pentium G4600 3.6GHz)

Cryorig C7 CPU Cooler (replaced with Thermaltake Engine 27 CPU Cooler)
Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4-2133 (2 x 8GB)
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD (275 GB)

Crucial MX300 2.5 SSD (525 GB)
Transcend 370S 2.5 SSD (128 GB)
Noctua NF-S12B redux 1200 PWM Case Fan (1 @ 120 mm x 25 mm)

Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M8-P PWM Case Fans (2 @ 80 x 25 mm)
Silverstone ST30SF 300W SFX PSU (replaced with HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX Direct-Plug + HDPLEX 80W Internal AC-DC Adapter w/ HDPLEX Custom SFX Bracket with DC Socket Adapter)
Darkside UV Rev4 LED Strips (3x)
Darkside 5mm UV LED (Power LED Indicator)
Darkside SATA Power Adapter Cables
Silverstone Magnetic Fan Filters (120 mm & 140 mm)
Phobya 3-Way PWM Fan Splitter Cable
CableMod ModFlex Cables
Silverstone Tek 300mm Ultra Thin 6Gb/s Lateral 90-Degree SSD SATA Black Cables with Custom Low-Profile Connectors (2 x SST-CP11B-300)
Prolink HDMI Cable
Samsung SF350 21.5" LED Monitor
Logitech K810 Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard
Logitech M325 Mouse
Logitech HD Webcam C525
UGreen 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
Asus Xonar DX Sound Card (replaced with AudioQuest DragonFly Black USB DAC/AMP + AudioQuest JitterBug)

Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Headphones (replaced with Nhoord Audio Red v2 headphones)

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Very nice! I wish there were more options for purple builds but basically you're limited to LEDs.

Reactions: ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Waiting for the improved on-board integrated Intel HD graphics which will be 20-25% better than Skylake across the board.

Reactions: Soul_Est

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Kaby Lake should also have additional video codec support in hardware for 10-bit HEVC and VP-9. It also has PlayReady 3.0 if you want things like Netflix at 4k through your computer.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nice build ! It's not often I see a build based on the Silverstone ML06, although it's a nice case for something like the GTX 1050Ti if at any time it would be needed.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Nice build ! It's not often I see a build based on the Silverstone ML06, although it's a nice case for something like the GTX 1050Ti if at any time it would be needed.

Not a gamer nor do I do any heavy video/photo editing. Thought I would need a dedicated GPU for some art work but I recently discovered that I actually need more CPU power (threads/cores) and not so much GPU power so... worked out in the end as I then used my m/b's single PCIe slot for my Asus Xonar DX sound card which I do like.

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
Those purple LEDs are amazing :eek: Is there a controller box thing that you plug them into to power them? Also do you find them too bright in a dark environment (look super bright in the pictures)

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Those purple LEDs are amazing :eek:
Thank you; I am very pleased how the build turned out.

Is there a controller box thing that you plug them into to power them?
Nope, I am using a direct 3-way Y-Splitter Cable to 4-Pin MOLEX to directly power the three LED Strips (two 5.5" and one 12" reduced to 8.5") . The 5mm UV LED power indicator is also directly connected to the m/b PWM fan header via a Y-Splitter cable.

Also do you find them too bright in a dark environment (look super bright in the pictures)
The nice thing about the Darkside UV LEDs is that they are not overwhelming or too bright especially in a low light environment which I spend a lot of my work time in. And again I must stress that they are far more darker and deeper purple than seen in the pics which gives them a very bright and pinkish look... they don't look like this.

I will take some pics in the pitch black this evening and post them.

Reactions: Soul_Est and mtl171

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
part of the problem with taking pics of UV or blue LEDs is the camera tends to blow them out no matter how hard you try, though there may be a way.

Glad to see someone using the cooler and for your description of the sound profile, I might have to try it out when I get my A4 and/ or S4 in.

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
Thank you; I am very pleased how the build turned out.

Nope, I am using a direct 3-way Y-Splitter Cable to 4-Pin MOLEX to directly power the three LED Strips (two 5.5" and one 12" reduced to 8.5") . The 5mm UV LED power indicator is also directly connected to the m/b PWM fan header via a Y-Splitter cable.

The nice thing about the Darkside UV LEDs is that they are not overwhelming or too bright especially in a low light environment which I spend a lot of my work time in. And again I must stress that they are far more darker and deeper purple than seen in the pics which gives them a very bright and pinkish look... they don't look like this.

I will take some pics in the pitch black this evening and post them.
Thanks for the insight. They really do look like the perfect LEDs to shove into my future S4 mini. Well assuming I can find the space to make it fit.
part of the problem with taking pics of UV or blue LEDs is the camera tends to blow them out no matter how hard you try, though there may be a way.

Glad to see someone using the cooler and for your description of the sound profile, I might have to try it out when I get my A4 and/ or S4 in.
Maybe by adjusting the exposure during post?

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Unfortunately the button can only turn purple, not UV purple :/ Should still look great!

That will be good enough as there are shades of purple that actually appear UV-like so... now onto the part of figuring out the best location for the button.

Last edited:

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
Those purple LEDs are amazing :eek: Is there a controller box thing that you plug them into to power them? Also do you find them too bright in a dark environment (look super bright in the pictures)
As promised, here are some pics of my system last night in the pitch black... first pic is from the front:

A nice eerie but still rather soothing glow...

Last edited:

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
As promised, here are some pics of my system last night in the pitch black... first pic is from the front:

A nice eerie but still rather soothing glow...

That looks amazing! Thanks for the pictures. I'm definitely surprised by how bright it is. Even the areas away from the light strips seems pretty well illuminated. Also the closeness in color to actual UV lights is uncanny.