Used GPU

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Has anyone here has any experience buying used GPUs on Ebay? There are a few EGVA GTX 1070 and 1080 at a good price, but, will the GPU work and for how long?

I really can't afford the new RTX and I've read 1070 and 1080 cards are a good value for the performance they offer. I am totally new at this very interesting new hobby and I have no experience what so ever except from what I viewed on YouTube and articles I've read.

So, any tips, recommendations, and advice would be very valuable to me, as I can't afford too many hit and misses.

Thank you

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I buy quite a bit of used hardware, and at this point there isn't any component that I haven't bought second hand. The 1080 that I've been using for almost exactly 2 years now was purchased used on ebay. The key thing to keep in mind is that you will have to treat it as anything else you own that has gone out of warranty - if it breaks, you are unlikely to be able to RMA unless the product had an unusually long warranty or is very recent.

You'll be protected by ebay/paypal in the case that what you ordered was not as described or broken (wrong item or dead on arrival). Returning for a refund is usually quick and painless.

As always there is an element of luck to everything, but if you want my anecdote I haven't had any of the dozen or so used parts fail on me. I'm pretty confident buying used hardware but that doesn't mean there isn't risk - I guess I factor it into the used pricing. There is no real way to estimate how long the hardware will work. There are many factors including how often you use it, how hard you push it, the condition of the item, manufacturing tolerances & component lifespan, etc. It may last many years but there is a possibility it may only last a few months.

What I have dealt with is hardware that was already broken or just the wrong item. Amazon has been especially bad with this is my experience, and I suspect it is from people abusing amazon and making fraudulent returns which then get resold by amazon warehouse. eBay listings usually include actual photos of the used item which amazon will not have.

It is also a good idea to take a look at reddit.com/r/hardwareswap for used parts. Prices tend to be a little lower than ebay and you are trading with other hobbyists who have a history of trading parts.

Last edited:

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
I buy quite a bit of used hardware, and at this point there isn't any component that I haven't bought second hand. The 1080 that I've been using for almost exactly 2 years now was purchased used on ebay. The key thing to keep in mind is that you will have to treat it as anything else you own that has gone out of warranty - if it breaks, you are unlikely to be able to RMA unless the product had an unusually long warranty or is very recent.

You'll be protected by ebay/paypal in the case that what you ordered was not as described or broken (wrong item or dead on arrival). Returning for a refund is usually quick and painless.

As always there is an element of luck to everything, but if you want my anecdote I haven't had any of the dozen or so used parts fail on me. I'm pretty confident buying used hardware but that doesn't mean there isn't risk - I guess I factor it into the used pricing. There is no real way to estimate how long the hardware will work. There are many factors including how often you use it, how hard you push it, the condition of the item, manufacturing tolerances & component lifespan, etc. It may last many years but there is a possibility it may only last a few months.

What I have dealt with is hardware that was already broken or just the wrong item. Amazon has been especially bad with this is my experience, and I suspect it is from people abusing amazon and making fraudulent returns which then get resold by amazon warehouse. eBay listings usually include actual photos of the used item which amazon will not have.

It is also a good idea to take a look at reddit.com/r/hardwareswap for used parts. Prices tend to be a little lower than ebay and you are trading with other hobbyists who have a history of trading parts.
Thank you Nate,
What do look for when buying a hardware, for instant, a egva gtx 1080 or 1070? Do you know of a seller that you commonly use to buy hardware?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I would suggest you join a few of those forums where there are a relatively large and active number of members. Usually these forums have a place for trade/buy/sell. Then, you can track the 'sell' record of members. Try to buy from those with a longer record of no or few complaints. Also, it is better to buy from those who are posting a lot because this often represents they are not just in a forum for selling their used hardwares but also actively positively contributing in the discussions, suggesting more trustworthy, IMHO.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I've bought 6 graphics cards off ebay and had very good luck with all of them. I look for a seller with decent number of previous sales and good feedback, try to avoid anyone selling multiple cards as there is a good chance they were used in mining.

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
I've bought 6 graphics cards off ebay and had very good luck with all of them. I look for a seller with decent number of previous sales and good feedback, try to avoid anyone selling multiple cards as there is a good chance they were used in mining.
Thanks farmer,
How about sellers that sells a lot of computer parts or people that sells things that are not related to computers or electronics? Do you remember the sellers you bought your GPUs from?

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Thank you Nate,
What do look for when buying a hardware, for instant, a egva gtx 1080 or 1070? Do you know of a seller that you commonly use to buy hardware?
If I'm on ebay, I just look for a seller that isn't a brand new account (I look for one with some feedback/reviews) along with looking carefully at the pictures. I don't have any specific sellers to recommend, but I do strongly recommend taking a look into the reddit hardwareswap community.

Reactions: 91Mackmr2

huddy

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2018
I have bought and sold components on eBay and hardforum with zero issues. The above suggestions are all spot on; my personal favorite is to buy on enthusiast forums as the number of scammers and ability for them to persist is low.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
The guidelines for buying and selling here on the SFF boards (see the Marketplace section) might be worth a read—the most important thing getting started would be to make sure that whatever payment service you use has buyer and seller protections.

For example, PayPal covers you in the event you buy something and it never arrives, is DOA, or isn’t the thing you agreed to buy. It also covers sellers when something is lost in transit, against potentially fraudulent actions/claims from buyers, etc.

Not sure if this is allowed outside the marketplace, but I’m happy to list my unused 1070 FTW2, if you’re still looking! ✌️

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Which has just reminded me, I have a present coming from NZ, a country I sadly will never visit, but as a Welshman we have a shared love of sheep. I've been a bit ill this week and forgot. Now I'm excited.

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
The guidelines for buying and selling here on the SFF boards (see the Marketplace section) might be worth a read—the most important thing getting started would be to make sure that whatever payment service you use has buyer and seller protections.

For example, PayPal covers you in the event you buy something and it never arrives, is DOA, or isn’t the thing you agreed to buy. It also covers sellers when something is lost in transit, against potentially fraudulent actions/claims from buyers, etc.

Not sure if this is allowed outside the marketplace, but I’m happy to list my unused 1070 FTW2, if you’re still looking! ✌
I'm looking for a one eight pin power connector, the sc or sc2 model, I think they are rated 170W. The FTW2 I believe is over 200W.

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
That's a good idea. I see you can pick up a 1080 SC for $399 and with the 1 year warranty that is a pretty good deal.
Factory refurbished by EVGA I should be like brand new right? What do you think they do to the gpu to refurbish it?

Chromavoid

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
Factory refurbished by EVGA I should be like brand new right? What do you think they do to the gpu to refurbish it?
I changed my mind last minute and just coughed up the $$$ for a new 2080 (was initially considering the 1080 ti but it was only $100 less than a new 2080).

That said, as I was researching most people said there was minor cosmetic blemishes if anything and most looked brand new. One guy said one of the fins on the cooler was slightly bent, but that should have zero impact on performance.

91Mackmr2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
If you're looking into EVGA b-stock, you might want to know that they usually have their best prices every Wednesday (starting at midnight Tuesday). It's their "midweek madness" sale :)

I checked the mid week madness, unfortunately, what I wanted wasn't on the list, but I definitely will check every week. Thanks.