News Use iPad / iPhone as a HDMI monitor

I came across this project back about 2 years ago and finally its finally for sale ....... (*cough* kinda like Project Orthrus will soon be after 2 years *cough*)

Basically its a little capture card that plugs into the lightning port of your iPad or iPhone and allows you to connect a 1080p/60 device and see the video output on the iPad/iPhone.

Great for when you're testing your build and don't have a monitor handy.

It ain't cheap, but one of a kind ! I couldn't resist and ordered one, I'll let you guys know how well it works :)

https://www.febon.net/products/icapture

Latency looks good too, should be quite usable:

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
For the iPad I'd probably err towards the Abusemark adapter (or Packed Pixels pre-assembled unit) for the same cost/cheaper (even if you already have an iPad, now you have an iPad AND an external monitor!), but for the iPhone I don't think there's an equivalent display driver board for that panel.

Mar 6, 2017
$359... For that I could buy a portable monitor that uses an actual display interface. Maybe even 3. Though if you're the type of person that can't breathe if they buy anything with a price tag under $200 I can understand its utility.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
So i carry an iPad pro with me for taking notes. I see it pointless for getting another portable monitor.
Besides, most are USB. I have yet to come across a HDMI capable, USB powered monitor.
I like to re-use my tech where possible :)

Reactions: 1461748123

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Just go to Alliexpress etc. and order a screen and controller combo (with hdmi or DP port) . some are even 4k combos and you can even find so many different sizes. You can find one and just stick it to the side panel of your case and call it a day if you want.

I can see the appeal of using your ipad and not carrying something else...but these adapters are less than ideal.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Why are they less than ideal ?
The only thing I'd improve in the design is integrating the apple lightning adapter into the main unit instead of having to connect it via a USB cable.... guess what I'll be doing to my unit ;)

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
Why are they less than ideal ?
The only thing I'd improve in the design is integrating the apple lightning adapter into the main unit instead of having to connect it via a USB cable.... guess what I'll be doing to my unit ;)
Yeah, that was my concern, if you can work around it and make it a one cable solution, all is good.

But still damn expensive.

Brainstorm but...
If you are gonna go to the trouble of using an iOS device...why not use an iphone plus instead of an ipad while sticking it into this https://www.moviemask.io/

Looks like a VR headset but it doesnt split the screen into two, so you get the full resolution for movie watching.