Discussion USB PD DC-ATX PSU?

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I guess we'll see. You can already attempt to convert a pico psu to PD input by using a 20v PD dummy trigger. I don't think a lot of the common pd chargers can handle the current spikes, so they cut out or shut down before the rated output when treated like a PSU. Thats just my observation from trying to run stuff using a dummy PD-trigger .

Pocket EGpu seemed to work fine with a 100 watt PD trigger module though, based on the pictures. So clearly it can work.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm afraid we don't just need a board that communicates the USB-C PD protocol but we also need a buffer, like @msystems already mentions with the chargers not being able to handle current spikes. So expect something with capacitors if you want the charger to survive.

Reactions: Aluminyum

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Just to digress a little further, I think some of the work toward this goal has been done in the retro gaming/modding space. There's a fair amount of crossover between that and the SFF space, especially when it comes to Pico PSU units. There are quite a few projects you can find on Github, for example, the PicoDreamcast by chriz2600 that allows the use of a 24-pin DC-ATX with a Dreamcast.

A more relevant example would be the PS1 replacement PSU by Will's Consoles Mods which allows the use of USB-C for power delivery. I was considering this at some point which led me down a rabbit hole regarding brickless USB-C chargers that could be used.

Last edited: