Other USB-C PD to barrel jack adapter

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Don't know if this is old news (if so, mods feel free to delete this thread), but at least this was the first time I've come across an actual "finished" product like this at least - an adapter that lets you use USB-C PD 20V power bricks (such as Delta/Innergie's eminently compact 60C) to power thin-ITX boards or other low-power setups with a HDPlex/KMPKT DC-ATX unit, etc. Until now, I've only seen DIY board style adapters for this use (which often have the advantage of selectable voltage, but aren't exactly suited for external mounting).

AliExpress link.

Reactions: owliwar and Kmpkt

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Very tempting to get two of those Innergie adapters and set up a dual input/power merge using the Y-PWR adapter from Mini Box. 120W from two tiny wall warts sounds nice.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, it's an excellent charger - best Kickstarter I ever backed :) It does get rather hot (hotter than I'm used to laptop power adapters getting), but nothing disconcerting, and it does deliver its full rated output without complaining (it charges just as quickly as my laptop's original 65W charger). Also, the replaceable type-C cable is a huge bonus compared to most power bricks.

Wow, that is a TINY adapter. I may cannibalize a few for their innards.
If you have the budget (they're not cheap!) I'd love to see you do so - given that it's as small as it is including the wraparound heatsink and plastic outer shell, the internals have to be extremely small.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, it's an excellent charger - best Kickstarter I ever backed :) It does get rather hot (hotter than I'm used to laptop power adapters getting), but nothing disconcerting, and it does deliver its full rated output without complaining (it charges just as quickly as my laptop's original 65W charger). Also, the replaceable type-C cable is a huge bonus compared to most power bricks.

If you have the budget (they're not cheap!) I'd love to see you do so - given that it's as small as it is including the wraparound heatsink and plastic outer shell, the internals have to be extremely small.

Oh, you're right. Those are a wee bit pricey.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018

This photo hopefully shows what we can expect in the next couple of years from GaN AC-DC conversion
Wow. That looks amazing. Really hoping GaN tech becomes widely available soon - that 2nd-to-the-right 150W unit is ridiculously small. From what I've read GaN should be no more expensive than previous tech either, but I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers charged a premium for it anyhow, of course.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Is that adapter then usable with one of the powerbanks that uses USB-C? I figure something like this might work.
From looking at the specs that one only outputs 5V, so no, it won't work. There are power banks out there that are specced to charge laptops (like this one) which I believe output 20V. The power bank needs to support USB PD as well, as that's how the adapter negotiates voltage and activates the charger.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You also would need to find one that supports 100W or more of output. The one linked above is only rated for 45W output.

Reactions: Beardedswede

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
You also would need to find one that supports 100W or more of output. The one linked above is only rated for 45W output.
I don't think that exists, at least outside of those car battery sized monstrosities that can recharge your phone a hundred times. Not many 18650 cells are made for discharge rates like that. Then again, it depends on what you're planning to run, no? 45W should be enough for quite a few low-powered builds. Then again, how often does one need to run a desktop off a power bank? Running a laptop off it should be no problem - that's what it's made for, after all.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
This madness of using a battery to power AC is probably the most inefficient way possible to power a computer especially when a PC runs so much from 12V anyways...

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Not many 18650 cells are made for discharge rates like that.
100W over li-ion 18650's 3.7V is ~27A. Distribute that between parallel cells running at 1C, 3.5A for current non high discharge cells, is ~8 cells in parallel.

Yes that's possible.

If you'd like a powerbank that lasts long (cell life, not charge) it'll be twice as big as those ones above. I believe running them at 2C is not unheard of, so even a 4P configuration can be made to output 100W

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
100W over li-ion 18650's 3.7V is ~27A. Distribute that between parallel cells running at 1C, 3.5A for current non high discharge cells, is ~8 cells in parallel.

Yes that's possible.

If you'd like a powerbank that lasts long (cell life, not charge) it'll be twice as big as those ones above. I believe running them at 2C is not unheard of, so even a 4P configuration can be made to output 100W
I didn't say impossible, I said rare ;)
I've seen single 18650s from LG rated for more than 20A discharge, but regular ones seem to be closer to 2-3A from what I've seen.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
This madness of using a battery to power AC is probably the most inefficient way possible to power a computer especially when a PC runs so much from 12V anyways...
Yeah, it's about as dumb as things get. Standardized DC is far, far better, which is why USB-C PD is so great.