Cooling Updraught coolers.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Just beginning a build from a donor MB and CPU A8-7600 with a Scythe Kodati fitted.
From what I can work out this must blow up from below the heatsink fins.
Couple of thoughts on this: no aid to VRM cooling, and how would a positive pressure set up work with this? Would additional inwards blowing fans just stall the flow from the cooler??
In this instance the case I am using has lots of room for airflow and additional options, but in a smaller case I can see problems with this cooler, even though it is very low profile with a suggested 65W TDP

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
it would reverse, but that just blows heated air back onto the heatsink.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Empirical observation, IE: practice as opposed to theory, is a great teacher, so much so that I hesitate to blow heated air from a finned heatsink block back towards a CPU based on past observations and practice.
GuilleAcoustic, when I mention a supplementary fan on top of the heatsink, the last thing I would do is have it blow down into the fins in direct opposition to the stock fan which is blowing UP through the fins. I simply meant a top fan as a further exhaust fan pulling air out and up to assist the stock fan, probably with a shared connection to the CPU cooler header to share the signal and control.

Found on Tech powerup.com in a roundup of Scythe coolers........

CPU-Heat is being passed from the copper-baseplate to the aluminum fin-structure using two 6 mm copper-heatpipes. Both the heatpipes and the baseplate have been nickel-plated. Scythe supplies the Kodati CPU cooler with a preinstalled Slip Stream Slim 80 PWM fan. The 80-millimeter fan can be controlled by the motherboard, thanks to the PWM-function, in the range from 800 and 3.300 RPM. Hence allows the fan to move between 6,0 and 24,82 cubic feet per minute (10,2 ~ 42,2m³/h) at a low noise level from 8,2 to 32,5 dBA.

So it seems logical for the fan to be designed to blow upwards to dissipate the heat gained in the fin structure.

Last edited:

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
That`s OK, happens to us all!!

ps.
The fan I will try this with is an Arctic Cooling F9 PWM PST, made for the job.

Last edited: