Turning an xbox 360 slim into a gaming pc

sffwjd20

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 8, 2017
So I want to turn an xbox 360 slim bc I am bored. I already have figured out how I can fit all the parts in (mini itx motherboard, half height gtx 1050 + riser, pico 160xt, etc.) The only thing I have yet to figure out is how to make the capacitive touch power button of the xbox 360 work, as it has a proprietary circuit board and all. I've thought about being lazy and just dilling a hole in the side of the console and putting a small button there or putting a less proprietary capactive button from ebay underneath a shelled out xbox button, but I do not know if that would work and I really want to go all out making this mod as authentic as possible. Does anyone know how to make this happen, or if it is even possible? Thanks.

Just had another crazy idea, what if I got a light sensor switch underneath one of the see through parts of the button where an LED would shine through, so when I rest my finger on it it blocks out light and thus completes the circuit? I don't know, just an idea.

Mar 6, 2017
I'm not exactly sure about the stock button, you might be able to bypass whatever board it's on and just solder a few wires directly to the button going to whatever circuitry it needs, or you might be able to look up pinouts and keep what's already there. But if you did want to just use a cheapo eBay button, I might be able to 3D print a bracket for you so that it still looks stock on the outside.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Find a diagram of the power button board and work from there. I remember seeing a similar mod over on OCN so you might want to search for it. I couldnt find it doing a quick search, but I know its there. If you can find the diagram for the board and share it here I can probably tell you how to hook it up.

Reactions: Biowarejak

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
whatever became of this? I have a dead xbox 360, two of them in fact that I would love to do this with.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
whatever became of this? I have a dead xbox 360, two of them in fact that I would love to do this with.
Same. Need an update OP.

Ill give you guys the same option. Find a picture of the PCB and if possible get me the power and data line layout and ill tell you how to hook it up. I spent ~30 mins when I originally posted looking for the PCB online but no one had the traces marked and my usual source for console stuff (behheck forum) was taken offline when he went to element14 which doesn't have an archive of the old forum.