Advice TR-40/XL-ATX Airplane Carry-on Build.

Kallus

Caliper Novice
Feb 27, 2018
Well I've seen people put 3 radiators in a cerberus x. It is possible to use 2 240 radiators in the case. One on the bottom and one in the front. I think that should be enough to coll both of your components. In that configuration you "should" be able to fit an ATX power supply with the bracket they provide. I think that 480mm of radiator space should be sufficient to cool the components depending on the fans and radiator combo that you go with, think something like the hardware labs nemesis line of radiators. Xtremerigs have done testing on the 280mm version and state the cooling capacity to be ca 380 watts for 10 degree coolant delta at 1850 rpm. The only possible issue I see is that you might have to use slim fans on the front radiator because of the clearance with the gpus. Which, in actuality, might not be a big problem if you are watercooling the cards since that cuts the length of them down.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Given the niche use case of this PC and the pretty clear lack of ready-made options, I have to ask: have you considered building the PC directly into something like a wheeled carry-on sized Pelican case? Of course those aren't exactly ventilated (quite the opposite!), but that's easily enough solved by either adding vents or having the case open when in use.

This would of course require some effort, relatively precise cutouts in the case, and likely some 3D printing and/or metal fabrication (mounting/support brackets for various parts, a protective cover for the I/O when travelling, etc.) but it would save you the wasted volume of packing a case within a carrying case, leaving you potentially a lot more room for components and cooling.

Edit:

Something like this fits Delta's carry-on restrictions pretty much perfectly (just below in 2 dimensions, 2" below in the 3rd), and should have about as much interior space as you would be able to get in that size at 20.39" x 11.20" x 7.21" / 51.8 x 28.4 x 18.3 cm.

It would be just enough to fit your motherboard of choice, but it would fit, and you could for example mount the radiators inside of the lid (with appropriate cutouts, covered by metal mesh or something similar) above the CPU socket and below the GPUs - though 280mm rads wouldn't fit. 3x240mm should be doable though, if not more.

Oh, and btw, you said you'll be mostly flying Delta, yet your dimensions in your first post exceed their carry-on limitations:
Delta said:
  • Combined length + width + height of baggage must not exceed 45 linear inches (114 cm)
  • Individual length, width and height measurements may not exceed 22” x 14” x 9” (56 cm x 35 cm x 23 cm) respectively

So 500x230x400 wouldn't be allowed (if they bothered to check).

Last edited:
Reactions: paulesko

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Well I've seen people put 3 radiators in a cerberus x. It is possible to use 2 240 radiators in the case. One on the bottom and one in the front. I think that should be enough to coll both of your components. In that configuration you "should" be able to fit an ATX power supply with the bracket they provide. I think that 480mm of radiator space should be sufficient to cool the components depending on the fans and radiator combo that you go with, think something like the hardware labs nemesis line of radiators. Xtremerigs have done testing on the 280mm version and state the cooling capacity to be ca 380 watts for 10 degree coolant delta at 1850 rpm. The only possible issue I see is that you might have to use slim fans on the front radiator because of the clearance with the gpus. Which, in actuality, might not be a big problem if you are watercooling the cards since that cuts the length of them down.
You can actually put a 280mm radiator on the front and it is officially supported, and maybe even a 280mm radiator on the bottom if you're willing to risk it. You can get a 240mm for the bottom to play it safe, though. So, the radiator area will add up to 520mm instead of 480mm. Also, he will not have to use slim fans for the front radiator if he is watercooling (Which he probably will)

vfe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Given the niche use case of this PC and the pretty clear lack of ready-made options, I have to ask: have you considered building the PC directly into something like a wheeled carry-on sized Pelican case? Of course those aren't exactly ventilated (quite the opposite!), but that's easily enough solved by either adding vents or having the case open when in use.

This would of course require some effort, relatively precise cutouts in the case, and likely some 3D printing and/or metal fabrication (mounting/support brackets for various parts, a protective cover for the I/O when travelling, etc.) but it would save you the wasted volume of packing a case within a carrying case, leaving you potentially a lot more room for components and cooling.

Edit:

Something like this fits Delta's carry-on restrictions pretty much perfectly (just below in 2 dimensions, 2" below in the 3rd), and should have about as much interior space as you would be able to get in that size at 20.39" x 11.20" x 7.21" / 51.8 x 28.4 x 18.3 cm.

It would be just enough to fit your motherboard of choice, but it would fit, and you could for example mount the radiators inside of the lid (with appropriate cutouts, covered by metal mesh or something similar) above the CPU socket and below the GPUs - though 280mm rads wouldn't fit. 3x240mm should be doable though, if not more.

Oh, and btw, you said you'll be mostly flying Delta, yet your dimensions in your first post exceed their carry-on limitations:

So 500x230x400 wouldn't be allowed (if they bothered to check).

I'm basing the case dimensions on the bag size. (Which many have reported never being hassled about, it's "close enough"; people never check unless it's visibly really far off in practice, though that could bite me in the ass.

That's actually an interesting idea I hadn't considered.

I'm kinda in 3 camps atm.

1. Get the Cerberus X and try to make it work; one way or another. It's not impossible, just slightly impractical. But least effort.

2. Build a custom case for this exact use. I know a CAD designer willing to help me; but that's still a $800+ solution; not to mention time consuming to design and draft it.

3. Something off the wall like you're suggesting. Is there any good examples/guides of being doing that with a pelican that you'd recommend?

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Sliger has a service in which they can modify their product for your specific interest. maybe is not cheap, but If I were you, I´d ask for a cerberus x but sligtly taller to accomodate enough radiators. for example I remember a guy on reddit asked for a sm580 without the spine attached, so he can put in a second radiator and mount the spine of the case later. That is an easy example, maybe yours is very expensive, I don´t know but asking is always a good idea :)

vfe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Sliger has a service in which they can modify their product for your specific interest. maybe is not cheap, but If I were you, I´d ask for a cerberus x but sligtly taller to accomodate enough radiators. for example I remember a guy on reddit asked for a sm580 without the spine attached, so he can put in a second radiator and mount the spine of the case later. That is an easy example, maybe yours is very expensive, I don´t know but asking is always a good idea :)

FWIW I just called and asked, and with the process they said changing the dimensions of it would essentially be a 5 figure order for just *1* case, it only would make sense if I needed dozens of them.

I dunno if this is public knowledge but the rep did say they have a re-design of the Cerberus X in the pipeline that may better suit my needs but it's 3+ months in the future.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
FWIW I just called and asked, and with the process they said changing the dimensions of it would essentially be a 5 figure order for just *1* case, it only would make sense if I needed dozens of them.

I dunno if this is public knowledge but the rep did say they have a re-design of the Cerberus X in the pipeline that may better suit my needs but it's 3+ months in the future.
Is that the Chimera CX2? It's designed by the people behind the Cerberus, but I didn't think Sliger would be making that.

A quick google search gives me quite a few pelican case PC builds, though I can't see any high-end workstations from a quick glance. Still likely a lot of inspiration to be found :)

MythicMike

Cable Smoosher
Dec 29, 2020
One question though, if you're planning to bring this PC to the airport. Won't you run into problems with AIOs? especially since they have strict regulations on what kind and how can you bring liquids to the airplane.

If you're willing to downsize to ATX, I mean there's still good TRX mobos at that size like the ASUS ROG Strix TRX-E, then the Silverstone FARA R1 Pro sounds like a very good option based on your dimensions. (SilverStone FARA R1 PRO INTRODUCTION (silverstonetek.com))

Although judging from the images, it seems an E-ATX would also seamlessly fit at the case, but not officially supported though.

Last edited:

vfe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
One question though, if you're planning to bring this PC to the airport. Won't you run into problems with AIOs? especially since they have strict regulations on what kind and how can you bring liquids to the airplane.

If you're willing to downsize to ATX, I mean there's still good TRX mobos at that size like the ASUS ROG Strix TRX-E, then the Silverstone FARA R1 Pro sounds like a very good option based on your dimensions. (SilverStone FARA R1 PRO INTRODUCTION (silverstonetek.com))

Although judging from the images, it seems an E-ATX would also seamlessly fit at the case, but not officially supported though.

I'll be doing a custom loop; AIO aren't airplane friendly like you state for carry-on. I'm planning to just drain it and re-fill it every-time. Hassle but really only a few minutes.

That's a pretty interesting case, it fits my size dimensions and isn't quite as cramped as the CBX.

Have to measure it though, this is an XL-ATX board not E-atx, so it's longer in the other dimension.

Switching to a smaller motherboard is an option... though I won't lie. I used liquid metal for the thermal interface of my CPU waterblock and seating that gave me a heart-attack the first time on such an expensive CPU 🤣 Not sure I wanna do it again.

vfe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Is that the Chimera CX2? It's designed by the people behind the Cerberus, but I didn't think Sliger would be making that.

A quick google search gives me quite a few pelican case PC builds, though I can't see any high-end workstations from a quick glance. Still likely a lot of inspiration to be found :)

Not sure. Though now I'm sad, that CX2 case looks like almost exactly what I want. Just a *bit* more flexible than the CBX(CX?). Sad it doesn't exist. Just relaying what I was told when discussing it with them.

Aye thanks, I have to dig some more. Seeing a lot of completed builds but not many detailed logs is why I asked :)

Reactions: Valantar

MythicMike

Cable Smoosher
Dec 29, 2020
I'll be doing a custom loop; AIO aren't airplane friendly like you state for carry-on. I'm planning to just drain it and re-fill it every-time. Hassle but really only a few minutes.

That's a pretty interesting case, it fits my size dimensions and isn't quite as cramped as the CBX.

Have to measure it though, this is an XL-ATX board not E-atx, so it's longer in the other dimension.

Switching to a smaller motherboard is an option... though I won't lie. I used liquid metal for the thermal interface of my CPU waterblock and seating that gave me a heart-attack the first time on such an expensive CPU 🤣 Not sure I wanna do it again.

That custom loop refill sounds tedious hehe, if it were me I might just stick to air-cooling and call it a day. I think there are a good number of large air coolers which could handle a 3990X, not sure if you're also considering that though. A 3990X on a D15 chromax black with 2 x ROG Strix/TUF 3090s would probably give you all the performance you need, and even some additional thermal headroom. I do understand the appeal of custom loop, but simply don't have the energy to maintain them, good luck with your build though!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Not sure. Though now I'm sad, that CX2 case looks like almost exactly what I want. Just a *bit* more flexible than the CBX(CX?). Sad it doesn't exist. Just relaying what I was told when discussing it with them.

Aye thanks, I have to dig some more. Seeing a lot of completed builds but not many detailed logs is why I asked :)
Yeah, there don't seem to be many build logs out there. Given the materials and shape of these types of cases (rounded corners, thick semi-rigid plastic shells) I would think trial and error is pretty much the only possible approach - getting all the parts together, mocking up a layout, and then making it with the required adjustments as you go along. Fitment is always more challenging in real life than on paper.

Some general thoughts if you decide to try this: for fastening components the first thing I'd try is threaded brass fasteners inserted directly into the plastic of the case - drilling a slightly smaller hole than the fastener, then heating the fastener and pushing it into the plastic with something like a soldering iron. Given the value of the things mounted to them I'd also get the best fasteners possible - there are different designs out there, and the more expensive ones hold a lot better. Getting the measurements exactly right is a challenge, but this typically results in a solid mount. Experimenting with various layouts is also a good idea - it might be better to have the motherboard mounted to the lid rather than down into the main compartment of the case, or rotating parts various ways might result in various advantages and disadvantages in terms of fitting everything you want.

I would also recommend you go for FE RTX 3090s rather than AIB versions, as they have very compact PCBs that lend themselves excellently to compact watercooled layouts (with terminals on the end of the card rather than the top). This could potentially allow for much better utilization of space in your case :) I have no idea how this translates to RTX A6000 GPUs, though they too seem to have an nontraditional PCB judging by the large fan cutout at the back.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well for eATX build aiming to travel easily I would not recommend at all to go for watercooling.
Potentially AIO...but customer watercooling is very hazardous during travel! (fittings are the weakest link here)
Aircooling remains best choice.

With that point of view, Cerberus-X remains best actual choice with U9S TR4 model. I agree it's the best cooling in absolute...and but for travel it's the most suited one, from my point of view.

Reactions: dealda

Kallus

Caliper Novice
Feb 27, 2018
Well for eATX build aiming to travel easily I would not recommend at all to go for watercooling.
Potentially AIO...but customer watercooling is very hazardous during travel! (fittings are the weakest link here)
Aircooling remains best choice.

With that point of view, Cerberus-X remains best actual choice with U9S TR4 model. I agree it's the best cooling in absolute...and but for travel it's the most suited one, from my point of view.
The thing is though, if he is running two 3090's it's gonna be hard to be able to get enough power to the system with an sfx or sfx-l psu, which he could get around with using an aio or water cooling. I guess if he designs his loop well the draining could be fairly quick.

Reactions: MarcParis

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Probably the best idea is to cool the CPU with water so he can use a full ATX psu, and then the GPUS with air. Two fans on the bottom of the case as input, and fans on the front as output, another one at the top as input to ensure possitive pressure (this is a uess, I assume it would work better this way to ease the exit of the GPUs hot air.

With this configuration I would be corncerned about the mem temps on the back of the gpu and also, the op would need to look for an alternative about using all the pci-e slots.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The thing is though, if he is running two 3090's it's gonna be hard to be able to get enough power to the system with an sfx or sfx-l psu, which he could get around with using an aio or water cooling. I guess if he designs his loop well the draining could be fairly quick.

Probably the best idea is to cool the CPU with water so he can use a full ATX psu, and then the GPUS with air. Two fans on the bottom of the case as input, and fans on the front as output, another one at the top as input to ensure possitive pressure (this is a uess, I assume it would work better this way to ease the exit of the GPUs hot air.

With this configuration I would be corncerned about the mem temps on the back of the gpu and also, the op would need to look for an alternative about using all the pci-e slots.
I agree for PSU, ATX (1200+?) is required for dual 3090s.
My remark is still valid for custom watercooling. However he can go for AIO like 120/140 with radiator at SFX front position. With dual RTX3090 FE, I'm not sure you will enough space to passthrough tubing for bottom radiator.

vfe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
So to update. After a lot of consideration, I decided I'm going to try @Valantar 's idea with the pelican case *first*. Just ordered one from Amazon to come in Monday.

My thought process is:

1. It's literally the maximum size for a carry-on. I have the maximum size in this envelope to play with.
2. It allows me the most part re-use. Every other option would involve me buying a lot of new parts/radiators/pumps. Well I'm not price sensitive, it's more important that it's done well, this is by far the cheapest option in pure $.
3. It's easily verifiable/eyeballable. I don't have to do a lot of work to verify whether this will work or not, just place the components in the case and see if the layout fits with my eyes before investing a lot of work.
4. In addition to that, it's a reversible decision; worst case scenario is I decide this isn't a good match and I have 90 days to just return the case(or just use it as a carry-on for other things).
5. As pointed out by another member, and related to #1. I think i'd eventually get bitten in the ass by something that's just slightly over-size. Even if I get away with it 99% of the time, that 1% is gonna hurt really bad.

So I'm gonna get the Pelican case, see if it fits my needs, and then finalize if that's my approach or not.

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's input. I probably wouldn't of thought of many of these options on my own.

nubbins

Trash Compacter
Feb 17, 2021
So to update. After a lot of consideration, I decided I'm going to try @Valantar 's idea with the pelican case *first*. Just ordered one from Amazon to come in Monday.

My thought process is:

1. It's literally the maximum size for a carry-on. I have the maximum size in this envelope to play with.
2. It allows me the most part re-use. Every other option would involve me buying a lot of new parts/radiators/pumps. Well I'm not price sensitive, it's more important that it's done well, this is by far the cheapest option in pure $.
3. It's easily verifiable/eyeballable. I don't have to do a lot of work to verify whether this will work or not, just place the components in the case and see if the layout fits with my eyes before investing a lot of work.
4. In addition to that, it's a reversible decision; worst case scenario is I decide this isn't a good match and I have 90 days to just return the case(or just use it as a carry-on for other things).
5. As pointed out by another member, and related to #1. I think i'd eventually get bitten in the ass by something that's just slightly over-size. Even if I get away with it 99% of the time, that 1% is gonna hurt really bad.

So I'm gonna get the Pelican case, see if it fits my needs, and then finalize if that's my approach or not.

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's input. I probably wouldn't of thought of many of these options on my own.

Hey, just thought I'd add a few words, good to see someone who's planning carry-on stuff seriously instead of just throwing it in a bag for a one-off trip. From 2015-2017 I flew with my desktop all the time, about 6 times a year. I have a Pelican 1510 for it.

1. Pelican 1510 is advertised as "the max carry on size" but there are certain airlines whose max dimensions are ever so slightly smaller. Also the side handle is big and can prevent the 1510 from fitting in those carry-on size check cages even if the case is small enough.

2. Pelican's wheels are hard plastic, a huge no-no. You need to get softer rollerblade wheels if you want to roll it. Even afterwards, I still manhandled it through the airport as opposed to rolling it - Heathrow T3 is hell. Alternatively, you can remove the entire retractable handle assembly and the wheels if you really enjoy a workout the whole way.

3. I've had an SG08 swabbed once and the NCASE swabbed once for explosives at TSA. Even though the M1's panels easily just come off without tools. They might be more inclined to believe you if your entire build is just in the Pelican and it's plainly visible.

4. Pelican offers bare, or pluck foam or padded dividers (technically the 1514 SKU). I used both when using different cases. Also helpful when you eventually retire the Pelican back to camera duty.

5. Going back to carry-on size, you really don't want to "hope" your entire PC on the check in agent's mood. First time I flew, I played with fire once by flying Air Canada and I lost that bet. Check in agent had pity, put a red tag on it and told me that gate agent would decide my fate. Gate agent didn't care. Nevertheless, I only played that game once. I switched to BA, with their 51lb carry on limit. You may have better luck if you have a business ticket.

I do have a thread with a lot of rambling and information elsewhere, but am new here and don't want to break any rules. Back then flying with SFF wasn't nearly as popular, so a lot of these things we were just forced to figure out for ourselves. Best of luck to you, whichever you end up deciding on.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
My 2 cents: just don't put any radiators in your case if you are planning to drain it anyway (because of restriction of bringing liquids on board, I presume). Just do a compact ATX build with some quick disconnects. Put whatever external radiator you need like the MO-RA3 or even a couple of them in the checked luggage.

UPD: someone above also mentioned that radiators are fragile: but you can have a "case" for the radiators too, for example, the MO-RA is sold as "core" version which allows you to draft any custom enclosure for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman