Image Credit – Fractal Design

Fractal Design’s latest SFF case, the Ridge, has been reviewed by Tom’s Hardware. Coming in both black-on-black and white with gray trim, the Ridge can trace it’s most basic design to the Fractal Node 202. However, unlike the Node 202, the Ridge has support for 70mm CPU coolers, 120mm to 175mm radiators, 3-slot GPUs up to 335mm in length (325mm with SSD installed), two 140mm fans by the GPU, and room for three 80mm fans at the top to help exhaust the heat. Basically, it’s almost every mod done to the Node 202, but built-in from the factory.
Tom’s Hardware found that while GPU cooling performance was excellent and that the aesthetics and build quality was good, but that the Ridge had restricted CPU cooling and could get noisy under load. It...

Continue reading...

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I saw that case on Gear Seekers earlier. Didn't see this one coming. Have to say I am pretty impressed with Fractal, looks like a pretty decent design.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I saw that case on Gear Seekers earlier. Didn't see this one coming. Have to say I am pretty impressed with Fractal, looks like a pretty decent design.

I like it, a lot. Probably because it matches my speakers LOL. It would probably make for a really good AMD-ECO Mode rig with the L12S. I run my 5950X on an L12S in my CCD MI6 and it pulls 27K on Cinebench with a small undervolt. Certainly doable.

SomeRandomDeafDude

Trash Compacter
Dec 4, 2019
This may be my new case, but then again, I'm unsure what CPU cooler I could use with my 12600K and basic AsRock Z690 ITX board. I wanted to go with the 65mm Noctua cooler that's literally just heatsink or the low profile one, but both seem to have an "incompatibility" with the motherboard... it's confusing honestly. I might have to dig around and see what alternatives I can use without changing my RAM(G.Skill Trident 2x16GB)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
This may be my new case, but then again, I'm unsure what CPU cooler I could use with my 12600K and basic AsRock Z690 ITX board. I wanted to go with the 65mm Noctua cooler that's literally just heatsink or the low profile one, but both seem to have an "incompatibility" with the motherboard... it's confusing honestly. I might have to dig around and see what alternatives I can use without changing my RAM(G.Skill Trident 2x16GB)
I am using the Noctua NH-L12 GE to cool a 12600k in my Ghost and works just fine, using G Skill TridentZ. You don't say which Asrock z690, the ITX/ax is listed as compatible but the Phantom Gaming is not.

SomeRandomDeafDude

Trash Compacter
Dec 4, 2019
I am using the Noctua NH-L12 GE to cool a 12600k in my Ghost and works just fine, using G Skill TridentZ. You don't say which Asrock z690, the ITX/ax is listed as compatible but the Phantom Gaming is not.

According to this page, for the L9-65, under the Z690M Phantom Gaming and Z790-ITX/Wifi, it states, according to Noctua- "Due to clearance issues, this motherboard is only compatible with coolers that already include LGA1700 mounting parts. CAUTION: Do NOT install older models on this motherboard using mounting upgrade kits as there is a high risk of damaging the motherboard. Only newer models that already include LGA1700 mounting parts can be installed safely." This makes some sense to me, but not entirely.

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
i want to buy it Dremel all of the internal gubbins away and find a nice HiFi integrated amp that fit inside it and make the front a flip or magnetic cover
also kinda looks like an ikea speaker
1668668159105.png

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

According to this page, for the L9-65, under the Z690M Phantom Gaming and Z790-ITX/Wifi, it states, according to Noctua- "Due to clearance issues, this motherboard is only compatible with coolers that already include LGA1700 mounting parts. CAUTION: Do NOT install older models on this motherboard using mounting upgrade kits as there is a high risk of damaging the motherboard. Only newer models that already include LGA1700 mounting parts can be installed safely." This makes some sense to me, but not entirely.
Ah…this is simple. Use the newest model and not an old one. It’s not the MB, it’s the socket.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I bought my L12 GE prior to the launch of 1700 and Noctua sent me a free installation kit for the 1700 socket and works fine.

sheltem

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2018
Take a look at the Thermalright AXP120-X67. I am using it with my Gigabyte z690i ITX board which has a built in io shield and a really tall m2 heatsink.

Ameubius

Average Stuffer
Feb 18, 2021
Just think they should turn the design upside down in terms of lay out, flip the GPU orientation, and place those 140mm fans behind the GPU to remove the heat.

This way all cool air will be pulled in from the same side, the CPU/PSU heat can evacuate at the top (perhaps with help from a couple of slim fans?).

The GPU should sit in a separate chambre in the bottom section, where heat wil be removed by those fans without mixing with the rest of the system.

Basically a copy of my systems ;P

I would like to see a commercial version of this layout.

Ameub