GPU Thoughts on how to passively cool a GTX 950?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have my current build inside a Jonsbo U2 case which contains an Asus GTX 950 mini but I'm thinking of downsizing further. I'd like to move to a sub 5L case in the future, probably custom built. To give you an idea of the layout I am going for, it will be like the In Win BQ series of cases, but with an additional single slot card opening on the opposite side of the motherboard.

So what I'm thinking of doing is to replace the stock cooler of the GTX 950 with a custom single slot cooler, as all the inputs of my card only take up one slot of space. The idea I had was to use a large-ish heatsink, at last the size of a mini ITX motherboard, taking up an entire side the case. But no taller than 15mm in order to fit into the single slot space.

With a TDP of 90w would this be difficult to achieve? There are many spare large aluminum heatsinks on eBay, like for audio amplifiers but I am worried that the fin density of those may be too low to keep the card running at reasonable temperatures.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The Spitfire looks like it will cool great, but the fins are at a 90 degree angle compared to the mounting area so it will add a lot of extra width. I'd like to use a heatsink that lies flat, if possible.

However, that product led to discovering the T-Rad2 which is much more of the kind of design I prefer. So I may go with that. It is very flat, which is what I'm looking for, and although it's designed for fans, the surface area appears large enough to passively cool a sub 100w card.

A second option I just found too is the Akasa Freedom Force. Another massive heatsink with heatpipes, and has various mounting hole options, one which I believe will fit my card.

As you mentioned, the only problem might be availability. PPC's has 2 left, hope I can get one in time :p

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Only a few passive 750s exist so I think a passive 950 might be difficult in a SFF case. By the time you find one that fits the case it may not be enough to cool it. Maybe the rumored 950SE card will work though.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
IntoxicatedPuma is unfortunately correct, in a case as small as you describe it, you'll have a hard time passively cooling a 950. Given enough space, you can just use a tower CPU cooler and orient the GPU vertically so the cooler generates its own natural airflow, but at under 5L, I don't see it happening.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I could probably make it taller to accommodate more room for the heat fins. The idea was to have one side of the case completely made up of heat fins, similar to the passive cooling HTPC cases.