Memory Those dirty liars!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh cool, that innodisk SO-DIMM DDR3 is exactly 1" tall, that's pretty low profile for an SO-DIMM isn't it.

Yup, it can't get much shorter than that because they still need to maintain compatibility with the retention clips.

Keep your system cool and collected while demolishing the opposition.

I bet their lawyers will argue that means cool as in "fashionably attractive or impressive" and not cool as in "of or at a fairly low temperature".

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
I bet their lawyers will argue that means cool as in "fashionably attractive or impressive" and not cool as in "of or at a fairly low temperature".
no doubts here.
but do not those stickers make heat discipation even worse?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
but do not those stickers make heat discipation even worse?

Maybe, but DDR4 doesn't consume that much power/generate that much heat anyway so I don't know that it makes much of a difference. The only way to know is to test it with and without the sticker but it's looking like the motherboard is ok and the RAM is the problem so I need to leave the stickers alone so I can return them.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Lol sometimes marketing should remain to water closet..:)
Last example : gtx 970 with 4go vram lol

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Only 3.5go at full speed..:):)
A commonly repeated misconception. All the RAM ran at full speed. The issue was that one bidirectional L2 cache/crossbar link was serving two memory controllers for the final 1GB (8 memory controllers total over 4GB, each serving a 512MB chunk). Because the L2 cache/crossbar links and memory controllers were partitioned into units of two (both with their own internal interconnect) then disabling one L2 cache/crossbar link meant two memory controllers were sharing the single crossbar link.
The only time performance was impacted was when those two memory controllers were both attempting to read or write at the same time, in which case they were limited to the maximum unidirectional bandwidth of that shared crossbar link. And in such a situation both of those 512GB chunks could receive a performance impact, depending on which received priority. If one was reading and the other was writing, everything ran at full speed. Having full control over where memory is allocated, Nvidia scheduled tasks to avoid having simultaneous reads or simultaneous writes pass through those last two controllers (i.e. one chunk reads while the other writes, then switching off). The idea that the GTX 970 had a 'slow 512MB' is easy to state, but completely incorrect as to how things functioned.

As seen from the extensive benchmarking performed on the GTX 970, this also had no practical effect on performance. By the time you upped resolution and texture size enough for there to be a measurable performance impact from lack of available simultaneous read or write performance (e.g. in comparison to a downclocked GTX 980), you are already looking at completely unplayable FPS in the single-digit range regardless of card.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I double-checked and one stick definitely throws errors. I put the second stick in the same slot and hopefully in the morning it'll still be running and I can be sure it's not the motherboard.

The 6700T still throws the intermittent error in Prime95 though even with a different motherboard, RAM, PSU, SSD, and fresh OS install. I thought it was strange that an electronics recycler would have a 6700T since Skylake is only a year old, but I guess I know why the original owner had disposed of the machine. It probably randomly crashed and IT couldn't pin down the issue so they just junked it.

So now I have to figure out whether to pay the premium for a new 6700T or downgrade to a 6400T since apparently the 6600T is worth $460 :mad:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
So now I have to figure out whether to pay the premium for a new 6700T or downgrade to a 6400T since apparently the 6600T is worth $460 :mad:
Plug the serial into Intel's warranty tool. There's a good chance they may replace it for free.

::EDIT:: Likewise for the RAM. I've had Crucial replace DIMMs I've brought second-hand under their lifetime warranty.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Could you get reimbursed for what you bought?

The RAM I can send back easily, and luckily the seller for the CPU has a return policy as well.

Had to use the macro lens on my DSLR to get a picture of the 2D matrix and then take a picture with my phone of the picture to decode the serial number :p

But it says no warranty found, probably because this is an OEM product and not sold directly to consumers. I only have 30 days to return it to the seller so I'll just go that route.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hopefully you can be refund...it's still pretty rare to have not working cpu...the last one I met was an amd x2 3800...and as far as i remember it could have been also a faulty motherboard..:)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Refund for the CPU has been approved so that's taken care of and I'll process the RAM in the next day or two.

I already ordered an i5 6400T and a Kingston set of 2x8GB RAM to replace them. While I would have loved to have a 35W i7 I just can't justify paying $360 for one.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I faced the same issue as you on cpu choice on my nfc s4 mini...core i7 6700t is too expensive and has an unique usage of low consumption cpu.
As final choice i went to core i7 6700k with undervolt or underclock in mind...finally i kep stock frequencies with undervolt..:)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd do that except I have a project in mind for the ASRock Mini-STX board so underclocking won't work.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Round 2!

They've passed 6 hours of MemTest thus far, so fingers crossed there won't be any errors in the morning.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, the bad stick would only start generating errors 4-5 hours in so I want to be sure.

Both the CPU and one stick of the Crucial was bad. Since I was suspicious of the CPU too, I've been doing all the MemTest runs with a new i3 6100.

I've tested the 6700T on 3 different systems (different motherboard, PSU, RAM) and it intermittently generates errors in Prime95 on all three so I know it's bad too.