Stalled This is what I've been working on lately (4.3L watercooled)

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
If you are good with bending, do it your self. If not go protocase or something similar.

I've never done bending before, but Protocase or a similar service seems cost prohibitive - I've heard of people spending tens of thousands of dollars on cases this way, and while I'm sure it's higher quality, it's not an expense I'm able to afford. Hey, at least I get some experience :p

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It's up to you, but some case designs look nice as solid, flat sheets of metal screwed on together. Plan the measurements of the parts you need in your CAD software of choice, list them out and purchase the pieces cut to size in an online metal store. Then it's mostly about how you would fasten the pieces together.

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I'm thinking I might want to use that thing that Lian Li uses to snap their panels into the case, does anybody know what the name of it is, if it's possible to purchase them, or should I just try to make my own mechanism?

Reactions: AleksandarK

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'm thinking I might want to use that thing that Lian Li uses to snap their panels into the case, does anybody know what the name of it is, if it's possible to purchase them, or should I just try to make my own mechanism?

You mean like the system that Cerberus uses?

Reactions: AleksandarK

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The Lian Li stud & clip fasteners are proprietary to them, and the studs are joined by welding. Jonsbo have something similar as well. AFAIK, there's no way to get them without going through one of the aforementioned companies, or having your own tooled up and manufactured.

The ones used in the Cerberus, in contrast, are off the shelf parts that are readily available. These are either pressed into the sheet metal, or screwed in, though, so they won't be completely hidden on the outside (unless using a female ball stud with a concealed-head threaded standoff).

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
The Lian Li stud & clip fasteners are proprietary to them, and the studs are joined by welding. Jonsbo have something similar as well. AFAIK, there's no way to get them without going through one of the aforementioned companies, or having your own tooled up and manufactured.

The ones used in the Cerberus, in contrast, are off the shelf parts that are readily available. These are either pressed into the sheet metal, or screwed in, though, so they won't be completely hidden on the outside (unless using a female ball stud with a concealed-head threaded standoff).

This is exactly what I needed, thanks! It looks like the swage-in studs are the ones I want? How should I fasten them?

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Okay. after more thinking, I really can't decide whether to use swage-in, flare-in, or self-clinching. It looks like swage-in and self-clinching show through on the other side, but that's fine because I'll powder coat it. I guess the question here is, which is cheapest? It looks like I'll have to buy some kind of press for all 3, which sounds expensive, could I just solder in the studs if I go with the swage-in style? I'm a bit concerned about the durability of that though.

Alternatively, I could just use male thread studs and screw them in, then sand them down.

Last edited:

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
So it is 3×60mm rad now?

PLEASE SHARE MORE!

Apparently G-Unique (guryhwa) makes radiators. I don't have too much detail on it yet, but 50% increase in surface area is always good. His design is pretty innovative as instead of having a big lump on the side with G1/4 holes, the radiator is only as wide as the cooling area with two smaller holes near the corners of one fan for 6mm tubing. I'm concerned the tubing won't be big enough, but I'm no expert on that.

The case is 25mm wider to fit the radiator, but the volume stays under 5L and I can now fit a low profile expansion slot for things like 10G NICs. I've put the ball stud idea on hold for now, and I'm just using some cool low profile screws I found. Maybe I'll put ball studs in a second revision, but it just overcomplicates things for now.

I've also rearranged the USB and audio ports in a way that should make it easier to make a PCB for, and added some keystone ports, 3 on the front and 1 on the back. This will allow users to install a front HDMI port for VR, extra USB ports, hell even some banana plugs if that tickles your fancy.

Last edited:

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
Apparently G-Unique (guryhwa) makes radiators. I don't have too much detail on it yet, but 50% increase in surface area is always good. His design is pretty innovative as instead of having a big lump on the side with G1/4 holes, the radiator is only as wide as the cooling area with two smaller holes near the corners of one fan for 6mm tubing. I'm concerned the tubing won't be big enough, but I'm no expert on that.

got any pics?