Stalled This is what I've been working on lately (4.3L watercooled)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I think you made a good choice by moving up to a dual 80mm rad. You'll get more surface area plus the fans won't need to spin as loudly, especially with the fin density of that radiator.

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Wasnt you going to use dual 60mm rad? That HW Labs one is dual 80mm. Also what waterblock do you plan on using with 1060?

Glad you caught that! For some reason I thought it was a dual 60mm.

I think you made a good choice by moving up to a dual 80mm rad. You'll get more surface area plus the fans won't need to spin as loudly, especially with the fin density of that radiator.

That would be a good choice, but unfortunately a dual 80mm rad won't fit.

Reactions: AleksandarK

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I managed to get the height shrunk down to 88mm (from 92mm, 265mm depth and 180mm width, don't think I said that earlier)

I still don't know what to do about the IO shield, as there's no way it will fit. I could custom cut the rear plate to fit it, but I plan to change motherboards withing 6 months. I could use something like this, but depending on how I implement it, it could add up to 40mm depth...

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I managed to get the height shrunk down to 88mm (from 92mm, 265mm depth and 180mm width, don't think I said that earlier)

I still don't know what to do about the IO shield, as there's no way it will fit. I could custom cut the rear plate to fit it, but I plan to change motherboards withing 6 months. I could use something like this, but depending on how I implement it, it could add up to 40mm depth...
I would say go for the custom cut IO and after you change the mobo you again cut one out. It is a lot of work but it will lock nicer and it wont add more depth.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015

Would a 1u i/o shield fit (39mm tall). Ive only scanned through the thread but there are some examples in the link below.
http://www.plinkusa.net/1uplate.htm

Reactions: CC Ricers

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
It doesnt need to match your board, just your boards I/O layout. Failing that they sell a DIY shield iirc. To be clear im not vouching for these people, ive never done business w/ them, they come courtesy of Google. Chances are w/ some research there will be someone, somewhere selling a compatible I/O shield. I guess another alternative would be to get one CNC / laser / water / whatever cut to spec.

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Not much of an update, but I'm considering switching to a different design and material. Because metal can be thinner than acrylic (3mm vs 1mm), I can reduce the dimensions to 258D*176W*86H, which brings it to 3.9L, although I doubt I did the math right. I'll still do the first version in acrylic because it's cheaper.

I'm thinking about adding a window or two somewhere, and that space in the top front is just begging for some kind of name. Or more I/O XD

Here's an Octane render, with plenty of watermarking, of the metal version. The acrylic version doesn't look much better than it does in SketchUp.

Also, how do I add that red stalled tag I see on some other posts? Probably a really dumb question.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Now that I've moved the thread to the Custom Cases section you can go to "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread, then go to "Edit Thread" to change the status. But I've already changed it.

Man, you're so awesome. Thanks!

Wow we had almost the exact same idea and direction for a water cooled case and I did not see this thread before starting on my project. Funny how things work!

Keep it going, I'm curious to see how yours works out!

Last edited:

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Ok, so I'm thinking of having an 1U IO shield from the get-go, but I can't find dimensions for it anywhere? Does anyone know the dimensions of one?