Cooling Thermalright AXP-100 Pure Copper

jpmomo

Trash Compacter
Feb 23, 2018
yes. You can feel the hot air coming out of the top of the radiator. I think the issue was how tight everything had to be which might have restricted air flow. That might have also added to the increased noise. If you look at the noctua L12S which had its fan mounted on the bottom, there is a larger gap between the fan and the socket.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
yes. You can feel the hot air coming out of the top of the radiator. I think the issue was how tight everything had to be which might have restricted air flow. That might have also added to the increased noise. If you look at the noctua L12S which had its fan mounted on the bottom, there is a larger gap between the fan and the socket.
You may be correct in that a bottom mounted fan on the axp-100 is starved of fresh air which is why it is significantly hotter than the stock top to down flow. Have you done any new tested recently?

jest

Case Bender
Nov 4, 2018
This looks perfect for the itx system.

Will this cooler be mounted without interference to asus z390 i gaming?

PantherB

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
@jpmomo very interesting tests! I'm planning to use an AXP-100 fc in a DanCases A4-SFX. Would you be able to do another test, but this time with the fan in pull mode since that's the way I would be using it in an A4. So it would suck fresh air through the heatsink.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@jpmomo Did you ever test the AXP-100 with the fan on top pushing air towards the motherboard? Looking at the fins on the bottom of the cooler, it looks like airflow is not bidirectional, with flattened corners directing air.

@PantherB It may sound odd, but with the very little space under the CPU, it might be beneficial to look at an 80x10mm fan. Something like this. That 5 extra mm of space would help a lot. BTW, I'm assuming you intend to mount the fan underneath because of the height limitations of the Dan Case.

Alternatively, you could try the black ridge alpenfohn, but they have had some QC problems....

PantherB

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
I had a Black Ridge and returned it (4 out of 6 heatpipes not soldered correctly). Would love to stick to normal height ram, thus my desire for the axp-100 fc ;)

Reactions: Stevo_

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Does anyone know when the axp-100 fc will be available?

You can buy it now, just not through normal retail channels.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=575223803461

Use an Agent to buy it on your behalf such as superbuy. (It's easy and painless)
https://www.superbuy.com/

How do you do it? You copy paste the tmall link into the superbuy website:
https://www.superbuy.com/en/page/buy?nTag=Home-search&from=search-input&url=https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=575223803461

Like so, they buy it on your behalf and ship it to you. (for a small agents fee)

Last edited:
Reactions: fabio

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
The cooler has been taken off of the Chinese site listed, but it's still available for purchase on the German one.

I hope availability will increase, since I'd like to pick on up come summer.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I finally was able to mount the stock fan underneath the axp. Bending the pipes into shape wasn't that difficult. trying to mount the entire cooler with the fan on the bottom was difficult. I also needed to modify the mounting brackets slightly. Two of the large thumb screws holding the rectangular mounting bracket needed to be replaced with smaller nuts so that the fan would clear. The net result was that it reduced the height by about 8mm from 68 to 60. It could probably be reduced further with some more bending/optimization. keep in mind that these measurements are probably not the same way that the manufacture takes them. But they can be used for a relative comparison. The other issue is that the fan when mounted on the bottom is very noisy. The thermals are also much worse. The prime95 test quickly passed 80c then I stopped the test. When I put the fan in "silent" mode, it was pretty quiet and idled about 50C (vs 34c with the fan on the top and in standard mode). Here is a picture with the fan mounted on the bottom and running:

Hey man, how did you bend it? I've tried with a small wood board, but maybe was to thin, and one fo the heat pipes has broken trying to do it.
Thanks in advance!

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
one fo the heat pipes has broken trying to do it.
Thanks in advance!
:eek: Now that sucks.

I have seen others take a hack saw and cut the bottom fins flush, so that the fan will fit. If I decide to get this over a Black Ridge, it's what I would do. Right now, I'm hoping Alpenfohn gets their production figured out by summer, when I plan to build.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

RolandX

Chassis Packer
Nov 7, 2019
So, at the end the only advantage it could have is that the height is shorter than the Noctua Nh-l12s? I was planing to use this on a ghost s1 case (when I get one lol). From the cooling performance perspective I understand that the Nh-l12s is still the best bet?

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Using the thread to ask - does the cooler use stock AM4 backplate for mounting? The manual I could find does not mention AM4, but I saw a video where it was mounted using the stock backplate.