Cooling Thermalright AXP-100 Pure Copper

rook

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
I know these were a prototype awhile back but it looks like they're for sale now on Tmall, pure copper and graphene coated.

I'm a bit suspicious of this being a copper coating though since literally everything including the screws is copper coated.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=575223803461

Edit: Also, that's the MSI Z370I motherboard...but with clever marketing because they removed the wifi adapter which is 1-2 mm taller than everything else on the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
I know these were a prototype awhile back but it looks like they're for sale now on Tmall, pure copper and graphene coated.

I'm a bit suspicious of this being a copper coating though since literally everything including the screws is copper coated.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=575223803461

Edit: Also, that's the MSI Z370I motherboard...but with clever marketing because they removed the wifi adapter which is 1-2 mm taller than everything else on the board.

I'm suspicious because there is no "official" word from Thermalright. I fired off an email to them when I read about this last week, no response as yet.
I'd love it to be an official Thermalright pure copper product, the AXP-100 was a very good cooler. A real shame they never developed it further.

Reactions: Soul_Est

rook

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2018
So if someone on here does buy, you'd know immediately if it was copper by the weight... it should feel quite heavy and quite a bit heavier than the aluminum variant.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
So if someone on here does buy, you'd know immediately if it was copper by the weight... it should feel quite heavy and quite a bit heavier than the aluminum variant.
I have the aluminum one, it's light as a feather. Doesn't even use copper heatpipes as far as I can tell

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have the aluminum one, it's light as a feather. Doesn't even use copper heatpipes as far as I can tell
Though relatively cheaper aluminium heatpipes do exist, PC heatsinks usually use copper heatpipes. Even many cheapo no-name brand heatsinks use copper heatpipes and Thermalright is not a cheapo company. It would be a little odd if they use Al heatpipes for the AXP-100. Many of their heatpipes are nickel plated and so they do not have the copper looking colour.
Anyway, performance is king and so if the thermal performance is satisfactory, I would not worry about the material used.

Reactions: el01

ywori

Trash Compacter
Jul 6, 2018
I'm suspicious because there is no "official" word from Thermalright. I fired off an email to them when I read about this last week, no response as yet.
I'd love it to be an official Thermalright pure copper product, the AXP-100 was a very good cooler. A real shame they never developed it further.
It seems to be an official Thermalright store though. Anyway I took the plunge and ordered one graphene coated.

Will update this thread if it feels and weighs like copper and thermals compared to the cryorig c7/cryorig c7 cu (graphene coated) as well when it comes. Hopefully it doesn't take longer than a month

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
So, this graphene version is the 'regular' version with a coating of graphene (vs a full copper version with a graphene coating)?
I notice the colour of the base of the heatsink does not look like the colour of copper (especially when compared to the colour of the copper screws at the top of the pic).

I think a full copper version will perform thermally better than a regular version with a graphene coating.

BTW, this is the product link in Thermalright China.
http://thermalright-china.com/product/axp-100-全铜版/

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Anyone want to help me order one of these to Canada? Can't read Chinese etc.

ywori

Trash Compacter
Jul 6, 2018
So, this graphene version is the 'regular' version with a coating of graphene (vs a full copper version with a graphene coating)?
I notice the colour of the base of the heatsink does not look like the colour of copper (especially when compared to the colour of the copper screws at the top of the pic).

I think a full copper version will perform thermally better than a regular version with a graphene coating.

BTW, this is the product link in Thermalright China.
http://thermalright-china.com/product/axp-100-全铜版/

Based on the chinese description of the graphene coated item in stall, it is supposed to be copper as well. I am not sure if they have a graphene coated "regular" one.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Anyone want to help me order one of these to Canada? Can't read Chinese etc.

Use Superbuy or Taobaoage, they order on your behalf acting as agents for a small fee.
I've had lots of items shipped to the UK, some quite high value and never been conned or had something go missing in transit.
Ordering is simple, you paste in the Taobao link to the items you want, they order it for you, send it to a holding facility, then ship it to you worldwide.

jpmomo

Trash Compacter
Feb 23, 2018
The price and weight make it seem like this is graphene coated full copper. I guess I will find out soon enough!

jp

jpmomo

Trash Compacter
Feb 23, 2018
I should receive my unit tomorrow. I just notice some feedback from others that received theirs already and they seem to suggest that the coolers are pure copper with graphene coating.
jp

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I should receive my unit tomorrow. I just notice some feedback from others that received theirs already and they seem to suggest that the coolers are pure copper with graphene coating.
jp
Cant wait to see you results. But please don't over exaggerate the performance like one person who got the Cryorig C7 Copper and said it made a 10 degrees drop! We all knew that was too good to be true and was BS. Come'on.

jpmomo

Trash Compacter
Feb 23, 2018
arrived today. definitely full copper with graphene coating. 600g and very heavy compared to noctua L12S that is a similar design. I haven't been able to install it yet but will do shortly. I don't have the aluminum version of this cooler but will be comparing to the noctua. I may need to make some custom brackets for its eventual home in the xeon d 2183it or 2146nt. in the meantime, I can test with a xeon e5-2673v4 on an asrock x99m mb that will mount both coolers with their stock brackets.

the cooler also has a bracket that allows you to mount another fan. I will give the noctua nf-a12x25 a try and see how that compares to the stock fan:

Last edited: