The ZS-A4S ruined?

EChase0

Case Bender
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
I've been hunting for a SFF sandwich case for my new build and I've fallen in love with the ZS-A4S. Thick CNC Aluminum, cool hexagonal cutouts, and rounded modern profile.
Forum members ZS-A4S

So I hopped on Taobao to submit an order and found out they've stopped manufacturing the original V1 of this case, and moved on to V2
ZS-A4S V2

What the fuck?
It's .6L larger, has tiny generic vent cutouts, and they squared off the case. How the hell is this an improvement? You can't even tell it's made of thicker aluminum from the outside. The "glossy grey" just looks like non-anodized raw aluminum. Give me the space grey of the regular ZS-A4!

Are these just bad Taobao manufacturer pictures? Has anyone purchased the new V2, and does it look better in person? Who do I have to kill to get a V1 version of this case?

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Improved - it costs the manufacturer less XD
It's sad to see design lose out to cost and profits :/

EChase0

Case Bender
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
what GPU do you have now

1080 FTW2, reference sized. If I can't find something soon I might just buy a 2070 ITX card to open up smaller case options. I'm really itching to relegate my 45L mid tower to the garbage.

Improved - it costs the manufacturer less XD
It's sad to see design lose out to cost and profits :/

For real. Here's to hoping Velkase opens pre-orders again.... and decides to make a 5mm Velka 5 with the I/O out the back.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Understood your frustration.

I have not looked at version 1 and so I cannot compare v1 vs v2. But, according to the description of v2, it has 'upgraded manufacturing process, for better fit and tighter tolerance'. Reading a couple user feedbacks seem to agree with it. The seller can give custom design hole pattern too but I suppose you have to supply your own design to him.
Anyway, I do also think the 'glossy grey' looks not that pretty and looks more like glossy silver, certainly worse than the 'space grey'. 'Flat black' is my choice if it were me buying.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
The first improvement is that the V2 is able to accommodate thicker GPU than V1. The other, at least from what I can see in the pictures, is the construction. The old V1 has sliding top/bottom panels which are not secured by any screws. The panels are not snug, and they rattle when you tap or move them about. From a manufacturing perspective, given how long each panels are, it is very difficult to make them fit snug while being easy to slide in. The V2 looks to have a simpler, sturdier construction,

As for looks, I do like the V2's better. But each to their own.

Reactions: renecop545

ZSMOD

Cable Smoosher
Aug 5, 2019
I've been hunting for a SFF sandwich case for my new build and I've fallen in love with the ZS-A4S. Thick CNC Aluminum, cool hexagonal cutouts, and rounded modern profile.
Forum members ZS-A4S

So I hopped on Taobao to submit an order and found out they've stopped manufacturing the original V1 of this case, and moved on to V2
ZS-A4S V2

What the fuck?
It's .6L larger, has tiny generic vent cutouts, and they squared off the case. How the hell is this an improvement? You can't even tell it's made of thicker aluminum from the outside. The "glossy grey" just looks like non-anodized raw aluminum. Give me the space grey of the regular ZS-A4!

Are these just bad Taobao manufacturer pictures? Has anyone purchased the new V2, and does it look better in person? Who do I have to kill to get a V1 version of this case?
你好,我是zs-a4s的作者。体积增大了0.6L,是为了增加cpu散热器兼容高度,从原来的39mm提高到了49mm,可以兼容axp90、c7这两款散热器。

关于成本不会因为改版而降低,反而成本会更。

Hello, I am the author of zs-a4s. v2 In order to increase the compatible height of the CPU heat sink from 39mm to 49mm, the volume has been increased by 0.6L, which is compatible with axp90 and c7 heat sinks.

Regarding the cost will not be reduced by the revision, but the cost will be higher.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I thought the V2 was going to be a slide-out case that was more closer to the Mjolnir case in that respect. I remember a technical render of it showing the slide-out inner assembly, with staggered hole pattern on the shell so that makes it different looking enough from the Thor case. Maybe I was wrong and thinking of another Taobao case?

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
I thought the V2 was going to be a slide-out case that was more closer to the Mjolnir case in that respect. I remember a technical render of it showing the slide-out inner assembly, with staggered hole pattern on the shell so that makes it different looking enough from the Thor case. Maybe I was wrong and thinking of another Taobao case?
Oh, thats the normal ZS-A4 V2, the ZS-A4S V2 which is smaller and use Flex ATX PSU is using a more standard construction